New Penasco airport or Mayan airport

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Does anyone know of this airport being used? I have ye to see a plane fly in nad the security guards are pretty stern about letting me drive Dow the road so I can get a look. It seems a Ike a massive investment to just be sitting there.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Based on personal observation, I believe that it is being used by private and military. Have not observed commercial. I did get the guards -- a few years back, when a few charter flights were running -- to let me enter to visit the terminal. Nice place. Apparently the "massive investment that is just sitting there" is associated with the "home port" that is just sitting there . . . both intended to not be just sitting there.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I believe it is a private airport built and owned by the Mayan folks. There have been several charter flights in from Hermosillo bringing vacationers but none recently. and of course several unsuccessful attempts of regular commercial flights from the US.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We fly in and out several times a year for whale tours so no it is not a private airport and yes it is open for business.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Does anyone know of this airport being used? I have ye to see a plane fly in nad the security guards are pretty stern about letting me drive Dow the road so I can get a look. It seems a Ike a massive investment to just be sitting there.
We use it from Jan to March all the time.

ben21

Well Known Member
I think it's fair to say they could have used the old airport for occasional charters and whale flights. The new one was built for commercial flights which haven't stuck yet. Maybe one day...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We flew in to clear customs, refuel, and pick up a friend in a private aircraft, then took back off for Mazatlan. Dropped in again on the way home. Busy? By no means, but functional? Yes.