New Public Beach "Mi Playa" is OPEN!

garyd

I can remember back 50 or so years ago in the US it was common for people to throw trash, bottles and etc. out their car windows. Then there was a big campaign against littering. Does anyone remember the Native American with the tears coming from his eyes after looking at the trash?

Terry C

This is an email I received about 3 people that spent many hours collecting garbage from the Caborca highway into our subdivision in Playa Encanto. They didn’t even make a dent in so to say. Our guards keep Playa Encanto clean but the main road coming in is a different story.

We picked up 54 ......32 gallon size bags of Garbage off the road. Big Thanks to the Guards who threw those bags into the garbage truck and hauled them away. Also a BIG thanks to the guards who made us 3 signs for people to read along the road. Do not dump the trash!

We will be back to finish the job.
PF
SC
DS

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The beach has been clean in front of PDO but I'm only there once a month to look.........

Went by Mi Playa beach today. Its a garbage dump, cans, bottles, garbage everywhere. I was scared to get out of the Jeep, might catch something.
You would think people would take care of things like that, but NO LETS JUST TRASH IT
Wow, we were in Penasco on Friday, staying at El Mirador Village because it was just a one-night trip, and considered packing up and hauling down to Mi Playa. Glad we didn't. How sad. The beach was very clean in front of El Mirador, all the to the right down to Manny's, then to the left down past PDO. Ironic, that it's called MI PLAYA, the people's beach, so to speak, but the locals and nationals choose to sh*t on it already.

rplarry

Went by Mi Playa beach today. Its a garbage dump, cans, bottles, garbage everywhere. I was scared to get out of the Jeep, might catch something.
You would think people would take care of things like that, but NO LETS JUST TRASH IT
I have noticed the same thing. There are a lot more Mexican nationals renting in Las Conchas. Last time we were there, it was unbelievable how they would come down to the beach in Las Conchas, set up their tents and canopys, hang out all day and then leave all their trash right there on the beach. One group that was there for 3 days kept coming back and leaving their beer bottles every day. On morning I went and picked up 20 plus bottles, diapers and trash just left on the beach.

What's the deal with these people? Is it a cultural thing? Does it not even register to them that they trash up everything? I watched a group of kids walking from a convenience store and as they walked and ate their candy bars, coke, etc, they would just throw their trash on the ground as they finished it. I just don't get it.

Happens on sandy beach as well. I often wonder the same thing. They also tend to have a/c cranked and patiio doors open at condos...

jerry

yet the same concerned people buy bottled water,drive suv's and crank up the ac...we are all killing the planet...some of us are just a bit more tidy while we are doing it. When i go to the dump in tucson I do like to roll the window down,light up a smoke,crack a beer,crank up the the classic rock and throw litter out the window ...it's enough to make an Indian cry...
This is an email I received about 3 people that spent many hours collecting garbage from the Caborca highway into our subdivision in Playa Encanto. They didn’t even make a dent in so to say. Our guards keep Playa Encanto clean but the main road coming in is a different story.

We picked up 54 ......32 gallon size bags of Garbage off the road. Big Thanks to the Guards who threw those bags into the garbage truck and hauled them away. Also a BIG thanks to the guards who made us 3 signs for people to read along the road. Do not dump the trash!

We will be back to finish the job.
PF
SC
DS

jerry

... it is a status symbol. "Look, I am able to afford this consumption, (Trash to prove it) I already paid and will use it to the fullest, (AC) and someone else will have to clean up after me (I am above the cleaning person)".
naaaaa just lazy... In Caborca there is a real push in schools to stop litter....things are getting better every day

Was nice that time i think it was leys that gave people garbage bags to fill throughout town in exchange for gift cards. However, is the same all over ( us & canada ) many people litter & throw cigarette buts anywhere. Too much effort nowadays to walk to the garbage can.

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
We drove down to Mi Playa on Monday afternoon just to check it out. The palapas are great, but the beach was unfortunately covered in trash everywhere. We looked at big signs that show the photos of the planned development there. Is that really all going to be built?

Unfortunately, the last time I was down in mid-July, the gals that were staying in a condo next to ours had been there all week also told us Mi Playa was indeed covered in garbage; we didn't even bother to check it out. And they had visited on a Wednesday, which means it must have been sitting there for days. Very sad, they need to get that place under control.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
We were walking down the beach this morning, maybe a good 1.5 miles and, it was horrible, the garbage was even in the water, we pulled bags and plastic bottles all over and believe it or not it was in Sandy Beach from Princesa de Penasco to Esmeralda and back there is no difference where you go, we were thinking that if the Municipality install garbage containers in the federal area a few feet away from the highest high tide line maybe will help better and what was worst was that the beach cleaning machine came went all along for about 4 miles and came back like purposely over his own tracks and left cleaning very little of the garbage

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
Every time I walk on the beach I take a bag with me to pick up trash. To me it is just part of loving the beach. I usually collect shells in one direction, and trash on the way back. But at Mi Playa the two of us would have had to literally spend hours picking up the trash piled everywhere, and then we would need a pickup to haul it all away. It is a shame. The beach lover in me cried "Do something!", but there was too much trash for one beach-loving hippie to make a dent.
If I am down there I will participate in any group beach clean up; anytime, any beach. :thumbsup:

rplarry

Was nice that time i think it was leys that gave people garbage bags to fill throughout town in exchange for gift cards. However, is the same all over ( us & canada ) many people litter & throw cigarette buts anywhere. Too much effort nowadays to walk to the garbage can.
I totally disagree. Can't speak for Canada, but you will not find very many beaches in the US trashed up like the Mexicans do. While not perfect in refuse game, I do think Americans for the most part don't like the sight of trash. I've rarely ever seen trash left on the beaches of San Diego, Orange County, LA, Northern CA, etc. If it happens, there is usually someone right behind them to pick it up. Nothing worse than a beautiful beach all trashed up.

That's what I don't get... Is it a cultural thing? Is it laziness? If you walk into their homes, is there trash just laying around? The Mexican friends we have in Penasco always have their homes tidy when we visit. Same with their yard. But other homes have garbage and old tv's, etc just laying in the yard. I wonder if poverty plays a factor in the lazy attitude of just throwing your waste on the ground or storing garbage in your yard? I mean, it is night and day obvious that when you cross the border, within 50 yards of crossing you know you are in Mexico because of the trash. Although we are used to it, it's pretty nasty.

I totally disagree. Can't speak for Canada, but you will not find very many beaches in the US trashed up like the Mexicans do. While not perfect in refuse game, I do think Americans for the most part don't like the sight of trash. I've rarely ever seen trash left on the beaches of San Diego, Orange County, LA, Northern CA, etc. If it happens, there is usually someone right behind them to pick it up. Nothing worse than a beautiful beach all trashed up.

That's what I don't get... Is it a cultural thing? Is it laziness? If you walk into their homes, is there trash just laying around? The Mexican friends we have in Penasco always have their homes tidy when we visit. Same with their yard. But other homes have garbage and old tv's, etc just laying in the yard. I wonder if poverty plays a factor in the lazy attitude of just throwing your waste on the ground or storing garbage in your yard? I mean, it is night and day obvious that when you cross the border, within 50 yards of crossing you know you are in Mexico because of the trash. Although we are used to it, it's pretty nasty.
Larry, you must be a youngster. Just a few decades ago, trash littered beaches and highways in the US, too. The combination of a public education campaign and stiff fines for littering finally made a difference, but it took time to indoctrinate people into using the trash cans. Seeing beaches and roads littered bothers me as much as it does you, but your comments about it being cultural are way off base.

garyd

Back 40 or 50 years ago in the US people would throw trash out of cars all the time. Then came the Native American with a tear inhis eye and we started keeping our trash in our cars. I still remember the bag in my parents car and boy oh boy did we get yelled at if we didn't use it.Something about getting a ticket my da would say. After a while it became a habit, like wearing seat belts.

Kenny

When I was a little kid in Torrance and before we moved to Phoenix in 56/57 everyone called it "tin can beach".

Huntington Beach, one of the fastest growing cites in the nation during the 1960s, has slowed down quite a bit since it was transformed from a rough and tumble oil town into the third largest city in Orange County.

The community was founded in 1901 as Pacific City on the site of a former Spanish land-grant ranch. In 1904, the townspeople changed the name to honor Pasadena developer Henry Huntington, who made the small city a stop on his Pacific Electric "Red Car" Railway line.

The city's first boom occurred after Standard Oil Co. began drilling for oil in 1920, and a forest of derricks lining the beaches led to the nickname "Oil City."

It gained the unflattering nickname of "Tin Can Beach" early on from the debris found in the sand. Following is a first person account from Ed Sweeny, who used to visit the area at the time:

"During the years that we used to go to 'Tin Can Beach' 1946-1956, it was not uncommon for people to go and stay for a week or two at a time. Families with 20-30 members would go during the summer, when it was so hot in the inland valley, and pitch army tents and stay for a couple of weeks at a time. The men went off to work every day and came back to the beach afterwards. The adults slept in tents on cots and the kids slept out under the stars. Families camp fires every night. It was family fun, especially during Grunion run. On the down side, the kids had cuts all over their feet from all the tin can lids buried in the sand...and of course, it was free."

In 1961, the state cleaned up the tin cans and created Bolsa Chica State Beach.