Official Press Release from City Administration, Puerto Penasco

- Translated by Rosie Glover
20 June 2010
For the General Public:
The Municipal Government laments and condemns the attempt on the lives of the Chief of Municipal Police and his bodyguard last night, Saturday, and will step up efforts to maintain the safety of the citizenry.
From the moment of the assault, communication was established between local, Federal and State law enforcement entities. Their intervention and assistance was solicited so that this crime will not go unpunished. All levels of government are committed to working together in this investigation.
We are confident that this type of occurrance will not repeat itself in our city, as we wish to offer tranquility and security for all families.
We are receiving updates on the conditions of our companions Erick Landagaray Macias and Luis Huerta Ibarra. The latest reports indicate that the police chief is in stable but very critical condition. His bodyguard is reportedly out of danger and doing as well as can be expected.
Both families have the complete support of the Municipal Government, as well as our wishes for a speedy recovery.
The people of Puerto Penasco are being asked to avoid rumors and false speculations that only serve to alarm the public. We will see to it that all relevant information is communicated to the public in a timely manner.
We reiterate our committment to work together with State and Federal authorities to strengthen security in the City and avoid any further violent incidents.

Other shootings?

Do we have any "official" word or comment on the additional shooting that we are hearing up here in Phoenix from Sonoyta to RP along the highway? Do not want to start rumors so asking if there is verification of this?

Do we have any "official" word or comment on the additional shooting that we are hearing up here in Phoenix from Sonoyta to RP along the highway? Do not want to start rumors so asking if there is verification of this?
You'll have to help me figure out what shooting you're referring to. I read your earlier post about an unreported shooting. I have no reports on that at all. Are you sure they aren't talking about what happened in Sonoyta on Friday, or the cars found abandoned on the highway?

Kenny

You'll have to help me figure out what shooting you're referring to.
Man oh man, what a difference three weeks or so makes. It looks like those Nogales numbskulls put a curse on PP. Maybe we need a Bruja, or brujo, because there's some real bad MoJo out there right now.

Man oh man, what a difference three weeks or so makes. It looks like those Nogales numbskulls put a curse on PP. Maybe we need a Bruja, or brujo, because there's some real bad MoJo out there right now.
I'm gonna kick some butt if anyone nominates me as the Bruja of the Forum.

Sorry Rosie, but now I'm a little confused. The shot up vehicle on the highway Friday was related to the incident in Sonoyta, correct? (nothing to do with RP). The three guys that were shot and killed at the OXXO.................is that related to the Police Chief and his guard being shot? And is it that coincidental that everyone is driving Jeeps??

Sorry Rosie, but now I'm a little confused. The shot up vehicle on the highway Friday was related to the incident in Sonoyta, correct? (nothing to do with RP). The three guys that were shot and killed at the OXXO.................is that related to the Police Chief and his guard being shot? And is it that coincidental that everyone is driving Jeeps??
The cheerleaders in the room will have to forgive me, and those who have previously lumped me with the cheerleaders will have to eat their words, but I never said that the shootings in Sonoyta had nothing to do with RP. It hasn't been proved whether they do or not, but to think otherwise would be extremely naive. As for the Jeeps...guess the Ford truck has been knocked off the popularity list, Stuart.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
It was stated the cherokee left Sonoyta headed for Penasco whether they shot up the jeep at kilometer 73 is unknown but thats like killing 3 people in Maricopa and then driving to Gila Bend on dead cow road (same distance) and almost nowhere to get off except dirt roads that go nowhere without any interference from anybody. That should tell you who is now in control of Puerto Penasco and Sonoyta.

so who do you think is in control? I don't know just asking your thoughts.....I also on "SPECULATE", since the 3 killed in Sonoyta were local's from PP, then it makes me curious if the two incidents (Police Chief shot ) are related but not sure if we will ever truly know.

so who do you think is in control? I don't know just asking your thoughts.....I also on "SPECULATE", since the 3 killed in Sonoyta were local's from PP, then it makes me curious if the two incidents (Police Chief shot ) are related but not sure if we will ever truly know.
I'd have to be dumber than I am to speculate out loud right now...and in public. No thank you. Einstein said everything is relative. I say, it's all related. 'Nuff said.

agree and it's all very sad....regardless.....there are so many good people and good things in Mexico, we must all hope for a resolution somehow, someway for the entire country....

S

Submarine

Perhaps some of that energy directed at the U.S. Consulate office in Nogales will finally be turned toward the Mexican Government.

Rosie,
I was busy all day yesterday and didn't have a chance to check this until this morning. Since my post here yesterday morning, I now understand what's going on. Let me rephrase that..................I DON'Tunderstand what's going on (is this a sign of things to come??). I should have reread everything before posting that, but I was becoming more than a little concerned.............actually, it was more like nervous. Now, this morning, I just feel sick. We were so looking forward to coming down next week, but now................not so much. For the first time ever, we're feeling very apprehensive the trip. Thanks for clearing things up (well, for as much as you can clear things up anyway!) It's very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!