PHX - RP Flights!

Personally, I like having my own transportation while I am there. I have only used the cab services a couple of times and they scare the hell out of me.

ernesto

I drive there for $80 roundtrip in 3 hours 15 minutes when the traffic is light. I flew years ago when Great Lakes Airlines had service. It took an hour to get there, felt like cheating it was over so quick. Problem was coming back, you had to clear customs at sky harbor and get home from there. No time savings there. Keep in mind unless you are staying at the Mayan , you'll be out at the new airport now with a half hour travel time into town.

dmcauley

Unless you are a local or talk like you know your way around , taxiing is not a good idea. I think the ride down is half the fun anyway. But if you like to start the trip with a couple drinks, great deal!

ben21

Unless you are a local or talk like you know your way around , taxiing is not a good idea.
Other than normal international travel precautions, why is taking a taxi a bad idea? I've literally taken hundreds in RP and never had a problem. Granted I speak Spanish, but still know of plenty of others that have never had issues.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There's no problem with using taxis to get around, we use them all the time for night time events downtown when we don't want to drive.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
The Mayan has enough of a market to support visitors that need to fly in. They own a sizeable timeshare resort that recently expanded. Flying in at $350pp may not appeal to most, however it only needs to appeal to a few.

Looks like they're giving this a shot again...

https://www.facebook.com/RockyPointTimes/posts/840633576010356

I really hope this works out. Since I'm still stuck working for the man, having this option is awesome. In fact, I might just give them a call and book for RCPM CM weekend.
Looks like they're giving this a shot again...

https://www.facebook.com/RockyPointTimes/posts/840633576010356

I really hope this works out. Since I'm still stuck working for the man, having this option is awesome. In fact, I might just give them a call and book for RCPM CM weekend.
2.5 hours to fly. 4 hours to drive. I don't think so.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Retire36, it may not be for you. It's all perspective. If you make 400k a year, then $2000 is not as big of a deal as someone who makes $80,000 a year and spends $2000 on tickets. Sometimes it is about the experience. Friends and I have chartered a private plane to vegas on a few occasions. Sure the cost came out to $600 per person for 6 of us, yet it was a fun experience. Of course we could have drove and spent $25 per person for gas.

Having the ability to fly into PP is great for folks from out of state. Are there currently any direct flights into PP besides Phoenix?
If you you have already flown for 4+ hrs and have to switch planes to get to PP, then probably worth it.
But from Phx to PP, I just don't see it. For me, driving is part of the adventure.

As far as Vegas, of course you want to fly if its a short stay. Gotta get to the tables ASAP. ;)
Shoot....back in the day, we used to drive the road of death (some of you probably know what I'm talking about) to Laughlin on a Friday after work and come back broke on Sunday.

ben21

As dry heat mentioned, it's all about either convenience for the wealthy, and cool experience for the rest.

I'm really into aviation and the thought of flying down just seems cool. Could I afford it several times a year, probably not. It's just a 9 seater for an existing tour operator. Not a ton of risk involved.

Side note: Why is it generally accepted on the forum to trash this idea, but it's sacrilegious when a few of us share similar concerns about the cruise port? At lease if this fails, there's no harm done, no eyesore for everyone to see...

jerry

As dry heat mentioned, it's all about either convenience for the wealthy, and cool experience for the rest.

I'm really into aviation and the thought of flying down just seems cool. Could I afford it several times a year, probably not. It's just a 9 seater for an existing tour operator. Not a ton of risk involved.

Side note: Why is it generally accepted on the forum to trash this idea, but it's sacrilegious when a few of us share similar concerns about the cruise port? At lease if this fails, there's no harm done, no eyesore for everyone to see...
Because the local forum members except Roberto are sort of Brown Noser's.....Gus that is

MIRAMAR

I think it's great they have flights, but even if we lived in Phoenix, we would drive. My hubby used to fly, and we learned unless the trip is over 8 hours to drive, it doesn't save time flying. But I hope it's a success!

playaperro

El Pirata

These fights would do much better out of Tucson, but who can afford them, phoenix area to big and far for most people to get around.

I see it being used more by people coming in from out of state (long distance) possibly staying at the Mayan. Beneficial them to get there quicker.
Possibly there will be some kind of vacation package deal.

Landshark

I see it being used more by people coming in from out of state (long distance) possibly staying at the Mayan. Beneficial them to get there quicker. Possibly there will be some kind of vacation package deal.
Probably true in some cases, but if I could afford to fly my family to Phoenix, then catch a completely different flight to a Mexican beach resort destination I really doubt it would be RP. Lots of competition with similar airfare and vacation package deals...