Playa del Carmen and Cozumel

Roberto....I need someone to buy my house up in Glendale....without me losing my shirt, pants, and underwear:moon:....then I might be able to buy that sailboat!!!

I haven't seen any Sprinter rvs yet....but if they can put a diesel in there, it looked like an ideal vehicle for one.

Last edited:

Roberto

A dear old friend in New Mexico used to sail the sea of Cortez in the 60's. He and his family would live there for months at a time. His ship got wormy so he decided to build a steel hulled sailing craft. It still sits next to his shop, hull completed and all steel. He had the ships wheel cast at a foundry in New Mexico and turned the wooden pegs himself. He did all the welding himself and gathered the lead for ballast from wheels at a wrecking yard. He's a master at most anything. He designed my home for me in NM. He's in his 80's now and his wife was sick for many years so he will never get it finished. I worked on it with him for a bit. We planned to truck it over to the Mississipi, plop it in and sail to Italy !

jerry

Bob maybe we should go over to New mexico and get it?
A dear old friend in New Mexico used to sail the sea of Cortez in the 60's. He and his family would live there for months at a time. His ship got wormy so he decided to build a steel hulled sailing craft. It still sits next to his shop, hull completed and all steel. He had the ships wheel cast at a foundry in New Mexico and turned the wooden pegs himself. He did all the welding himself and gathered the lead for ballast from wheels at a wrecking yard. He's a master at most anything. He designed my home for me in NM. He's in his 80's now and his wife was sick for many years so he will never get it finished. I worked on it with him for a bit. We planned to truck it over to the Mississipi, plop it in and sail to Italy !

jerry

My dream trip would be to ride from Phx. down thru Mexico into Belize and then take a ferry over to Caye Caulker and spend a week there and of course pack up the bike and gear and ship it home while I take a nice boat back to Texas where I would fly home from there...
Just me but i think the food in the Yucatan smokes Belize and Costa Rica too. A friend of mine repositions sailboats from east coast to west.Next time he's doing it I'll tell him he has some potential deck hands!

T

Tomcat

I love it keep the dream trip stories coming boys ! ooops sorry ladies you are invited to post a dream trip too. I almost stuck my foot in my mouth saying boys LOL Just remember ever amazing trip started with a dream and a wish story.... Some guy in spain had a few to many drinks and looked out over the ocean and said HEY the worlds not flat its round and miss queen can you give me a few of your shios to go prove it ? LOL I think his name was Christopher something ?????

lets hear a few more dream trips !
Tom

T

Tomcat

Rockyptjoe,

RV,s !!!! Ok cool for you guys that don't ride motorcycles me and the boys riding will scout out ahead of the group heading south to Belize for camping spots and then you guys show up in one of these RV's at the campsite we found for the night.... Bring cold beers for us hard working bikers please :)

Sell the house and the boat and lets go south guys ! Belize or bust !!!! http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=12

Tom

T

Tomcat

Someone should start a thread like the one: what do you do for a living thread ! This thread should be: What is your dream trip or project ? With a forum like this some people will find that they have the same things in common and come together to make some of there dreams come true... Just a thought folks. I know if I never found this forum I would have never gone to Rocky point...special thanks to ladyjeeper...
i know some cowboys that can move anything (all with old/beat up equipment). check out this bridge they built with found materials
http://picasaweb.google.com/corvidsupply/MarbleQuarryImmigrantCanyon#

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You're always welcome, Tom.

As a matter of fact, I have always wanted to go to Belize. Can us girls play, too? Hmnnnnn?

T

Tomcat

Ladyjeeper,

Yes ladies are welcome. We do not discriminate against: Sex, age, religion, race, citizenship, sexual preference, rich, poor, happy, sad, sane or crazy. I think I fit into the crazy part pretty good hahahaha. Hey Chari start a thread ( whats your dream trip or project ) Maybe we will find there others that want to go to Belize and our dreams will come true helping each other out :)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yes Tom, you fit the crazy part very well! LOL! I will post up a new thread when I get home in a little while.

Last edited:

JimMcG

:mexico::mexico::mexico::mexico:
There is a really great book "Sonora an Intimate Geography" Written by a Prof. at an AZ University. Published by UNM Press. He toured Sonora in the 60"s on a VESPA ! He has some fun stories to read.

My current objective is to sell my home here in Penasco and buy one of the Sprinter based, van motorhomes, then hit the road South to see what I can see. Chiapas and Oaxaca are high on the list. I'll try to avoid tourist areas and visit small pueblos and historic sites. Hopefully it will take me 6 months to reach Chiapas!

I've been reading about the 1910 Mexican Revolution and have a list of places where there were encampments and battlefields to visit. I'm curious about the local memory of such events and places. It was 100 years ago but often there is a lot to be learned form the local stories. I have an aspiring archaeologist son and a herptologist son both of whom will plan a visit around areas they are interested in to expand my interests.

I'll have to get one of Tel Cel's units that gets internet and e-mail and all as they have good coverage but it's not easy to find WiFi where I'll be traveling. I know someone who recently returned from a short trip and they found few places with WiFi and ended up buying one of the smart phone, or whatever they are called.

The Sprinter is compact, not like driving a house, so good for the back roads. It is completely self contained, generator and all, so no thought about where you' ll be staying the next night. If you travel the back roads to the interesting little pueblos, you might find someone that would put you up in a spare bedroom, ( or their's !) for a few Pesos but you won't find accomodations you might hope for. We visited Trincheras a couple of years ago and I wanted to stay over but we would have had to drive back to Altar so we returned to Penasco. There's just something about getting up in the morning and being at a place that is special for me.

I'll probably want to tow a Suzuki or similar so I can really tour each area. I'm thinking about getting some BIMBO logos to put on the van!

OK who is going to buy my house so I can get on the road?? I'm ready to go.
I know the feeling. Here's one for you: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/2020860563.html

T

Tomcat

I guess if I was going to drop a chunk of cash on a nice motorhome I would wonder how stable it was too ? Perhaps I would rent a few different types and go try them out in the conditions I need it to handle and traverse safely. Here is a site that locates RV rentals nationwide. Looks like there a few in the Phoenix area. http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/rental/
The one concern I have with the vehicle is the narrow wheelbase....how stable is it?

Roberto

The one concern I have with the vehicle is the narrow wheelbase....how stable is it?

Can't say from experience but according to multiple owners reports on a couple of forums there are no complaints about it. Universal reports of plenty of power, great economy, and super handling on the road.