Point me in the right direction

I'm heading down for the week of May 30 to June 4th. I flyfish and use a single man pontoon. I usually fish the second estuary but recently like fishing the first estuary and the rocks on the incoming tide. I have yet to catch corvina but have caught many other species. I would also like to catch a small bone. I have heard some about the south side of Cholla Bay (i'm guessing on the outgoing tide) and there are Corvina there. Is that my best bet? I am thinking that the Pompino are going to be at the breaks of the first estuary. I can effectively fish 0 to 30 or 40 feet. I have never fished in front of Los Conchas but think there is lots of structure and I also like the rocks below El Capitan. I fish clousers chartreuse mainly and some red and poppers and shrimp patterns but seem to mainly get sea bass and triggers. What are the thoughts from the experts?

Thanks Freddie

jerry

image.jpgWell they are finally around.My friend Doug and his crew caught a bunch last weekend at Santo Tomas on incoming tide and at sunset.If it is not windy you should have good luck.

in Las Conchas we caught some bones night fishing one night in june so cant say i can provide any help with them during the day. What weight rod do you use? sinking line i take it? Ive wanted to take my 5wt down for some time but dont think its enough. THere is a good amount of rock structure near CEDO area if you go out anywhere beyond 1/4 mile.

I'm surprised you haven't caught Corvina in those areas. Any minnow imitation fished at around 6 foot depth should be productive. Incoming tide or high tide near the mouth of either estuary is usually good.

I'm surprised you haven't caught Corvina in those areas. Any minnow imitation fished at around 6 foot depth should be productive. Incoming tide or high tide near the mouth of either estuary is usually good.
Yip, me too. I don't know why they have eluded me because I have probably spend 20 to 30 days there and caught a lot of cabria and triggers and Spainish Mackeral, longjaw leatherbacks, parrot fish, pompono and a few other species but no Corvina. I'm hoping this will be the trip.

I use a 8 weight with a 350 or 400 grain sinking with an intermediate running line and a float line with a big head (outbound) when I'm on the surface with poppers.

in Las Conchas we caught some bones night fishing one night in june so cant say i can provide any help with them during the day. What weight rod do you use? sinking line i take it? Ive wanted to take my 5wt down for some time but dont think its enough. THere is a good amount of rock structure near CEDO area if you go out anywhere beyond 1/4 mile.
Be careful if you take your 5 weight.....I would think many of the triggers that I have caught at Pelican Point would break a 5 weight.

wheres the best place to park and walk from? MSPAINT like a bossmorua.jpg i know there is an oyster shack northeast of the circle....

Roberto

If you just stay on the 'main' road, which is obvious, as you approach the tip you will pass a guard gate that might be manned or not. It's the second one, the other is pretty far back. Shortly after the guard gate there is a large nice parking area near a maintenance building. It's at the lower left of your cicrcle on the map. The road loops back along the beach at that point. Park there and walk along the beach in either direction. Don't take a dog as it's a bird sanctuary.

Estero here is an owner out there and can tell us if the are stopping people from going to the parking lot. Lat time I was out there with him there was a guy at the gatehouse.

Hi, I am fairly new to fishing and have only fished the Pacific near San Diego. Can you tell me what sort of fish "bones" are?

You can't fish the oyster shack area and you cant get very close to the point unless you go to the parking lot. You can also go to the end of Los Conchas and veer to the left of the hotel at the end and take a road down to the bottom of the estuary but it is kind of sketchy getting out and you might get stuck. Last time I had to take several runs at it in my truck 4wd to get back out. What I like to do is catch the last hour of the low tide and take it out to the structure on my pontoon and as the tide switches I fish around the rocks.

If the wind will stop one of the days I would imagine that fishing would be pretty good after the sea settles down.

"Standard Bonefish"?

just your standard bonefish.
You mean there are BONELESS fish out there?!! Can you tell me where I can catch some? It will save me all the hassle of filleting and I ALWAYS miss a "pin bone" or two and suffer the consequences!

So the last two days have been amazing. I have been at Cholla Bay (my new favorite).Yesterday I even went out in front of Sandy Beach and managed 4 Pompono on Clousers. I caught a Spanish Mackerel Sat Morning right outside Cholla Bay about 30 to 36 inches. The only bad part is that I was holding him up for a pic and he slipped out of my hands and dove straight down and broke my Sage Fly rod (8 weight). I'm glad they have a lifetime warranty on them or I would really be pissed. The incoming tide was great....caught Pompono, Cabrilla, Flounder, and the Mackerel. It slowed down for the outgoing tide and I couldn't find a hot spot for the exiting fish so I went over to the rocks and caught more Cabrilla and wouldn't you know it I caught a Bone! I was so excited!!! It wasn't huge but it sure fought harder than the Cabrilla. Now I have caught two of the three trilogy game fish and only have Tarpon left to catch..... don't think I will catch any of those at Rocky Point. Anyway I plan on being back out there (Cholla Bay) at first light on Monday for one last try at the Corvina. Say hi if you see me i"m the only crazy psycho in a single man pontoon. I saw two guys gill netting yesterday...Isn't that illegal along the Baja? When I get home I'll post pics but I don't have my cord here. Chartreuse Clouser has been the main fly for me....the bigger the better.

Last edited:
Wow, I've never gotten a mackerel (or a bone fish). That's a big fish on any rod, let alone a fly rod.
Nice report.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Now I have caught two of the three trilogy game fish and only have Tarpon left to catch..... don't think I will catch any of those at Rocky Point.
No, but you CAN catch a "poor man's tarpon" -- tarpon's first cousin, ladyfish. They are a real hoot on light tackle. Typically, we've caught them down by the island on the troll. But, they get around. You can also go for broke and try for small roosterfish in the summer months. Haven't seen any big ones in Penasco, but have caught some very nice ones further south in Lobos.