Police activity on Sandy Beach Road

garyd

Yesterday (Sunday) around 5 PM I was leaving town on the road from Sandy Beach by way of the big rotary and came acoss a road block with police everywhere. They were directing traffic around some incident that seemed very bad since there were masked police with automatic weapons and spectators everywhere. Also on the highway home at least 5 black and white police cars with lights flashing were heading south to PP. Anybody know what happened?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Gary, the incident on Samuel Ocana you saw was a shootout between marines and sicarios (hitmen). There was another shootout in town late yesterday between drug gangs on Simon Morua (the ace hardware street). After dinner we were driving past the naval hospital about 6 oclock there were police and marines everywhere. Just found this after my original post www.numerounoonline.com it has a couple of videos at the scenes.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The bodies continue to pile up, but Lazaro Hernandez Bravo basically says "It's as safe as ever. There's a low rate of crime and we've always had a few bodies showing up here and there, we don't know why, but this shows we have security. Please come visit!"

I think Janet Napolitano has been mentoring and coaching this guy! Unbelievable.

Incidents like this are the ones I fear the most. I have no worries about about anybody targeting me directly, but here you have a group of sicarios racing through town in a Ford Lobo being hunted down by the Marines and bullets flying. Doesn't take much to innocently be in the wrong place. You're just as dead from a bullet that didn't have your name on it at all.

Interesting how the Marines put a white hood over the heads of the cartel guys. Also interesting to see them give the cartel guys a good swift kick and jab with a rifle butt. No love there, for sure, and no ACLU to make the bad guys seem like victims!!

mis2810

Yesterday (Sunday) around 5 PM I was leaving town on the road from Sandy Beach by way of the big rotary and came acoss a road block with police everywhere. They were directing traffic around some incident that seemed very bad since there were masked police with automatic weapons and spectators everywhere. Also on the highway home at least 5 black and white police cars with lights flashing were heading south to PP. Anybody know what happened?
The big rotary by the Circkle K? Or the rotaries around Las Palomas?

AZ ROB

As dis-hearting this is and I am very sad to hear about any trouble in what I am considering my second home. I drive thru south Phx every day going to and from work at 3:30 am. This is nothing new to me the diffrence is it happens alot more in Phoenx than Penasco...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This is nothing new to me the diffrence is it happens alot more in Phoenx than Penasco...
Rob? First, I understand your love for Penasco. A given for the majority of us here. But, please take a moment away from your rainbows and unicorns to consider the following:

Here we go again with unrealistic comparisons. If there were armed Marine troops chasing and shooting down bad guys anywhere in Phoenix, we'd be in a whole stinkpot of trouble up here!! That doesn't happen in Phoenix, period. Yes, police bust bad guys, but not our Armed Forces. When the Armed Forces get involved, you've got what's known as a state of war.

You fail to recognize one other thing -- you say it happens a lot more in Phoenix than Penasco. See explanation of "it" above. Second, take a moment and consider that not more than a few short years ago, this kind of thing didn't happen in Penasco at all!! We're hearing of more and more drug cartel/mafia/whatever-you-want-to-call-it shootings on a repeated and rapidly growing basis. The threat is growing, not subsiding. Unlike the Police Chief, shot late at night on a dark side street, the more recent events are happening in broad daylight in very public places. Do you not see the problem with that? I see a problem with that for my family's safety and the safety of all the people of Penasco.

fasteddy

Well said Stuart

It is getting harder and harder to defend the safety of Penasco to my family and friends.
Being that I own at the Sonoran Sea I travel those specific areas that are being mentioned.
I hope they can get this under control.

Last edited:

Roberto

Rob? First, I understand your love for Penasco. A given for the majority of us here. But, please take a moment away from your rainbows and unicorns to consider the following:

Stuart, take a moment away from your increasingly hysterical and constant forcasts of doom and gloom and take a deep breath. Why do you feel you always have to jump on any bad news and repeat and amplify it. You usually start off with something like "As I've been saying....". We know whay you've been saying, you really don't have to repeat it ad nauseum. You really don't add anything other than to repeat you warnings. I'm starting to picture you with a long black beard dressed in a black robe predicting the end of the world..

Here we go again with unrealistic comparisons. If there were armed Marine troops chasing and shooting down bad guys anywhere in Phoenix, we'd be in a whole stinkpot of trouble up here!! That doesn't happen in Phoenix, period. Yes, police bust bad guys, but not our Armed Forces. When the Armed Forces get involved, you've got what's known as a state of war.

Here we go again with your unrealistic comparisons. You really cannot understand and interpret events and circumstances in another country looking at the world through your US glasses. The armed forces in Mexico have been called out to reinforce and support the local police in their duties, not to make War. Travel around the world and see that this is not in any way unique to Mexico. Land at the Rome airport and you'll find military armed with automatic weapons standing around. Every other street corner in Egypt has armed military on it. I hazard to guess that almost every third world country and many others typically use the military to back up and reinforce the local police when necessary. These are not war zones. What you do have in Phoenix is a highly trained and well armed police force, probably moreso than the military in many countries around the world running around town and shooting it up when necessary. The US has a strong prohibition against using the military to enforce the laws, goes back to the revolution and the Hessian mercenaries that terrified the colonials and the stupidities committed by , for example, the National Guard at Kent State, where they were called out to support the local police, not make WAR. Many countries do not have this strong prohibition.

You fail to recognize one other thing -- you say it happens a lot more in Phoenix than Penasco. See explanation of "it" above. Second, take a moment and consider that not more than a few short years ago, this kind of thing didn't happen in Penasco at all!!

Yeah, right and no one in the US used to lock their doors years ago either. I'm sure if you find some real oldtimers in Phoenix they will regale you with stories of how bad things have gotten, how there was no crime, how they used to leave the keys in the car, how there were no drugs, how there was not a murder or two every few days. Now of course you will point out that this has nothing to do with Penasco. What it means is that Penasco is becoming more like Phoenix that it used to be.

We're hearing of more and more drug cartel/mafia/whatever-you-want-to-call-it shootings on a repeated and rapidly growing basis.

Yeah, the US news loves that story. They all start off with "Over 30,000 people have been killed in ....".

The threat is growing, not subsiding. Unlike the Police Chief, shot late at night on a dark side street, the more recent events are happening in broad daylight in very public places. Do you not see the problem with that? I see a problem with that for my family's safety and the safety of all the people of Penasco.
The "Threat" as you put it might be growing, might not. Of course shootings are a problem, do you think you have to point that out to us. Of course I just live here, 24/7 so what could I possibly know about life in Mexico. I don't relate a lot of what I know happens here because you in the US take things out of context and interpret with that effete snob "we know better than you do" attitude and then correct our perceptions. Mexico is a different country, with different ideas and attitudes.

What is the purpose of your repeated warnings? You seem compelled to respond negatively to any post that indicates the poster is not worried a lot.

Well gotta put on the old Kevlar and dodge the bullets on the way home. I've been practicing my drop and roll movements, hard on the old body. Oh no, that happened when I had too much tequila !!

Roberto

I just wanna point out that there was another member of the forum that was finally banned for constant negtive responses to other's posts. This was pointed out to Stuart who thought it was OK so he did not participate in the Ban.

MIRAMAR

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, or make light of the event, but last month outside my son's apartment in Tucson was a multiple shooting and death and in my daughter's old apartment in Tempe was a killing a couple of months ago over a laptop (3 weeks ago she said she could hear bullets outside her house). So even though I see the Marines chasing hit men in Penasco, to me it's like the FBI going after narcos here- there is a drug problem everywhere. By the way, my hubbies relatives back East are afraid to come to AZ because they think there's a problem- perception is everything.

Here's news from the AZ Daily Star today from yesterday (Sunday- low news day):

Hector Sotelo Jr. was shot and killed Sunday night near Irvington Road and Sixth Avenue and police are still looking for a suspect.
Just after 10 p.m. Tucson police received a 911 call reporting shots heard in the 300 block of West Kentucky Street, said Sgt. Matt Ronstadt, a Tucson police spokesman.

Customs and Border Protection officers say they’ve seized nearly 5,000 pounds of marijuana from a tractor-trailer hauling green tomatoes into Arizona.

A man was shot this morning at a midtown apartment complex, Tucson police say.

PHOENIX - More than 3,500 people have been arrested in Arizona on suspicion of driving under the influence over the past several weeks.

jerry

3500 dui's...maybe if a rental agency in rp was able to get all these peoples names,offer them condos and 2 for one happy hour deals for the 6 months their license is suspended it could be a win win for all

Here we go again with your unrealistic comparisons. You really cannot understand and interpret events and circumstances in another country looking at the world through your US glasses. The armed forces in Mexico have been called out to reinforce and support the local police in their duties, not to make War. Travel around the world and see that this is not in any way unique to Mexico. Land at the Rome airport and you'll find military armed with automatic weapons standing around. Every other street corner in Egypt has armed military on it. I hazard to guess that almost every third world country and many others typically use the military to back up and reinforce the local police when necessary. These are not war zones. What you do have in Phoenix is a highly trained and well armed police force, probably moreso than the military in many countries around the world running around town and shooting it up when necessary. The US has a strong prohibition against using the military to enforce the laws, goes back to the revolution and the Hessian mercenaries that terrified the colonials and the stupidities committed by , for example, the National Guard at Kent State, where they were called out to support the local police, not make WAR. Many countries do not have this strong prohibition.

Roberto....I won't go into a detailed discussion on where I may disagree with you OR Stuart.....or point out the obvious that you have opposite opinions of what is happening, just will highlight the one area I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Mexico IS a WAR ZONE....the government of Mexico is at war with the cartels for control of the country, which they don't seem to be winning! If you can't see that, you might want to clean your eyeglasses!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Holy Crap! A rose by any other name is still a rose! Bottom line is our little town is trying desperately not to become a Nogales...or a Tijuana...or a Ciudad Juarez, and there are those that want the town bad! Is it a war or a skirmish or drug dealers having a bad day? Who cares what we call it. RP is struggling for survival...and I hope they win. But I don't think the bad guys are going to go away easily. It's not in their nature, so this stuff is gonna happen. We all need to be very careful, but not give up on our town...a fine line indeed.

garyd

Gary, the incident on Samuel Ocana you saw was a shootout between marines and sicarios (hitmen). There was another shootout in town late yesterday between drug gangs on Simon Morua (the ace hardware street). After dinner we were driving past the naval hospital about 6 oclock there were police and marines everywhere. Just found this after my original post www.numerounoonline.com it has a couple of videos at the scenes.
Hey Las, any idea or info on how the Marines encountered the bad guys?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Gary, sunday around 3:00 we were headed into town from ejido Las Lagrimas, the 3 vehicles in the video were headed north just past the Hot Point Hotel when I passed them there were 2 in front of each pickup(2) and 2 in the back and the bigger truck had about 6 in the back when I got to the intersection south of hot point I glanced at my mirror and they where hangin' a uwee. Probably 15 marines. I think with this they will start cleaning up Penasco. Last week the marines out near lagrimas set up a road check and made several dump trucks hauling dirt and gravel dump parts of their loads to check for weapons and dope.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I need a pair of the rose-colored glasses Roberto wears. Put your fingers back in your ears and keep singing "La-La-La-La-La-La" as loud as you can. Marines in firefights with anybody, in any city, in any country, tells me that my safety is at risk! What part of that do you not understand or disagree with?

As for comparing me to Sub, hardly. You'll find that I post far more positive about Penasco than I do negative. Consider me the voice of reason to those that downplay the serious nature of these events, one that you cannot "shout down." You, sir, have a very vested interest in promoting Penasco and maintaining its image as "family safe vacation place." So do others on this forum. Don't even try to deny that. Doesn't matter to me one iota that you live there.

I, on the other hand, have no vested interest in either side of the equation. I come there, spend my money, go fishing with friends and generally have a good time. The same thing I've been doing for more than 25 years. Consider me the "typical" tourist. The one you want to come to Penasco, to fall in love with the beach, and invest in the property you make a living selling there.

This same thread takes place every time a major cartel shooting or bust goes down. There are those that see it as yet another red flag and those that insist "nothing to see here, move along, safe as it's always been." Try being honest with yourself and your motivation for a change, Roberto, instead of trying to tear down those that see it as a red flag. The nature and frequency of these incidents are getting worse, whether it's bodies being found along side the road or out and out shootouts between the military and the bad guys. It is a war and despite what you personally may think of me, I do indeed want the good guys to win. However, I refuse to gloss over the seriousness of what's happening.

You have no idea how many people I'm in contact with that ask me, as if I'm a know-all, see-all, if it's safe to go to Rocky Point. I tell them that I have gone recently and plan on going again soon, but honestly tell them that there's been some pretty bad stuff happening and they need to be aware of it and take precautions -- don't drive at night, stay in the tourist areas, etc., etc. Certainly not very reassuring to a family that just wants to go spend some fun time at the beach.

Roberto

Mexico IS a WAR ZONE....

No need to shout Joe !! You get your information from the Media, right? If the US Media, every outlet all across the US, reported every shooting and murder in the US, every day from all over the country, every state, every city, every town and repeated the total number of shootings and murders that occured over the past 5 years every time they reported a new one, the US would look like a War zone. There are incidents like this that occur in Guatemala, San Salvadore but you don' t hear about them. Why is that Joe. Because the US media is not interested in reporting the news, they got an attention getting roll on Mexico violence that garners the eyes and ears of the lazy media dependent US audience and therefor high ratings and more advertising dollars and they are gonna stick with it. Did you ever notice that the stories on each news from different channels tends to be the same stories, little variation? Why is that Joe? Because that's all the news or the most important stories? Why? Because they do not like to be scooped so they share their story list. They think that the personality and looks of the anchors and reporters is more important than the news! Take a look at the history of news reporting and world events and you will begin to see the picture. Millions were slaughtered in Africa with barely a nod from the US media.

Your perception and interpretation of the problems in Mexico are distorted by the constant hammering and distortion of the media. Mexico is in no way a war zone. Most of the country is quiet and peaceful. It is unfortunate that Calderon picked up old Tricky Dick Nixon's WAR against Drugs to describe the efforts of the Govt. against the narcos. Note that the US govt has officially discontinued using the War On Drugs terminology.

Now you can say I have my head in the sand or use Stuart's Unicorn terminology, but in reality believing something is much worse than it is will cause you to make errors in judgement just as much as ignoring a problem. The errors will probably be different of course. If people could take off the Sh*t colored glasses that the US media puts on them, things would be a lot clearer. The problem is bad enough without a cheering section to make it appear worse.

The response to Stuart was directed at , what I feel at least, is his repetitive jumping on people who don't see things as bad as he does. Rob, who got the most recent load dumped on him, for example, is an intelligent guy and has the right to his own perceptions and opinion and not to be insulted about them.