Puerto Penasco Home Port

El Gato

They say this & then take days off. A gringo interprets this remark as working 24/7 until completion because that's the way we have been raised. A Mexican worker explained their way to me once; "Americans live to work, Mexicans work to live." Made me rethink a lot of things. Mañana amigos, mañana!
A friend explained one time that a Mexican kid will say, "Dad, it's a beautiful day for the Beach! Can we go?" The Dad will think a moment, "Work? Beach? Work will wait - my kid might not." And off they go to the beach. A US Dad will think, "Work? Beach? The beach (and my kid) can wait until tomorrow. I need to get this work finished." I have to admit, I always left mopping the floors for manana and headed to the beach with the kids. In my 70s now with them all grown up the memories I love are those beach days - not scrubbing the floors. The port will get built - manana - in the meantime I'm betting they are enjoying some beach days.

jerry

A friend explained one time that a Mexican kid will say, "Dad, it's a beautiful day for the Beach! Can we go?" The Dad will think a moment, "Work? Beach? Work will wait - my kid might not." And off they go to the beach. A US Dad will think, "Work? Beach? The beach (and my kid) can wait until tomorrow. I need to get this work finished." I have to admit, I always left mopping the floors for manana and headed to the beach with the kids. In my 70s now with them all grown up the memories I love are those beach days - not scrubbing the floors. The port will get built - manana - in the meantime I'm betting they are enjoying some beach days.
Part true part romantic clap trap...go to the Asparagus fields and watch the happy go lucky Mexican workers pulling 12 hour shifts.Go to Heradura Mine and see what a long day in hell looks like,talk to shop girls in Caborca that take home 60 pesos a day,On the other hand Mexican workers on their own and with like minded crew members do work in bursts...fishermen when it's time to fish or construction crew that work a half day Saturday when the weather is hotter and a hour less in the week.Mexican workers are screwed....crooked unions,sellout politicians,bad trade deals that did not enforce labor standards....sometimes when the man pretends to pay you you pretend to work right back at him.

lorichris8933

Beach Girl
We are coming down to the Reef for Memorial weekend, does anyone know what the status is of the Reef now that there's been progress on the port?

JWT

User is currently banned
We joined a group today to view the progress being made on the cruise ship port. There is no progress. We interviewed one of the 2 dozen men standing around their trucks and he said they were not working because they had not been paid. He said he was owed 60,000 P, and his friends volunteered they were owed 30,000 to 90,000 P. He said there has been 2 weeks of work since early February. He mentioned they all owe for diesel credit they had received from some supplier. When asked, he said the problem was caused by disputes between the Federal govt and the State govt, which are different parties. He used the Democruts and Repubicans as an example.

mis2810

We joined a group today to view the progress being made on the cruise ship port. There is no progress. We interviewed one of the 2 dozen men standing around their trucks and he said they were not working because they had not been paid. He said he was owed 60,000 P, and his friends volunteered they were owed 30,000 to 90,000 P. He said there has been 2 weeks of work since early February. He mentioned they all owe for diesel credit they had received from some supplier. When asked, he said the problem was caused by disputes between the Federal govt and the State govt, which are different parties. He used the Democruts and Repubicans as an example.
What a giant cluster ........

Jeez Russ let them do their job as you said to me I hope you don't have them build your new van as I said at the start does anyone know the contractor of record

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Jeez Russ let them do their job as you said to me I hope you don't have them build your new van as I said at the start does anyone know the contractor of record

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
I guess if I had actual money invested I may be concerned, but since I don't....a daily report about things that don't really concern me is a waste.....To complain about something you don't have a personal interest in is simply pissing in the wind...it means nothing, don't waste your free time int his game.

mis2810

I guess if I had actual money invested I may be concerned, but since I don't....a daily report about things that don't really concern me is a waste.....To complain about something you don't have a personal interest in is simply pissing in the wind...it means nothing, don't waste your free time int his game.
Russ, personal interest isn't only defined by monetary investment. All of us here have a personal interest because it affects a place we frequent and enjoy. I agree that a daily report isn't necessary, but you have to admit this is beginning to look like a disaster. There's word around town that lots of money, not just from federal funds for the port, but local funds as well, are being "diverted" by local politicians for their own personal "projects". Welcome to Mexico. But I still love the place - warts and all.

jerry

Some on this forum smelled a rat from the beginning.They were attacked by other Americans with dreams of wealth from the flow of travelers coming to take a cruise.The boosters seemed to ignore the fact that the bread and butter of Puerto Penasco ( the American vacation home owner) will be negatively effected by this influx.Now it looks like another problem with this project is being revealed.A fight for control of the project between PAN and PRI possibly or is it a attempt to cleanup the culture of corruption by one side before things proceed? ( the rumor I heard)