Quail Creek Bible Study Rocky Point Visit

GV Jack

Snorin God
Mark..Here is an article from the Green Valley paper about a recent trip these good folks took.

Quail Creek is a growing community a little east of GV. Their golfing guys are a bunch of Sand Baggers, but these
folks are great.

Early on Feb. 10, 17 members of a Quail Creek neighborhood Bible study group departed in a three-car caravan bound for Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point, Mexico) on a mini-mission trip arranged by Skip and Julie Pence.
The four-hour drive was full of spectacular scenery and joyful fellowship, and included a short picnic lunch stop at Organ Pipe National Monument.
The group arrived at Esperanza por los Niños (Hope for the Children), a Christian home for children who had been removed from their parental home for various reasons. The facility is home to about 40 children, ages 5 to 18, and is run by two couples who live on site with their own children.
A tour of the facility was enjoyed, and their mission and needs were explained.
As the children arrived from school in town, the group helped to serve a hearty lunch. Afterward, the children enthusiastically enjoyed crafts provided by the Quail Creek visitors. The kids were also awed by a flannel board story of David and Goliath, and creatively iced Valentine cookies.
Three lovely ocean-front condos in the Sandy Beach area of Puerto Peñasco, provided by the Pences, were home to the group for the weekend. After check-in, dinner was enjoyed at The Med, a restaurant in Las Palmas area.
Saturday found the travelers shopping at Bodega Aurrera, the local version of Wal-Mart, for items to provide lunch for 300 persons at two local food bank locations. Having worked up an appetite, the group enjoyed a delicious Mexican lunch at Pollo Lucas, having grilled chicken with side dishes served under a thatched-roof, open-air dining room.
Meat and cheese sandwiches were assembled, oranges arranged and Cheetos were divided into small bags at the central Food Bank location and then delivered to the two mission sites.
Local residents gathered at the two outdoor neighborhood locations, summoned by worship music playing and bells ringing. Young and old alike, along with a cadre of dogs, arrived on foot.
After a worship service, complete with music and sermon, the meals were distributed and received with gratitude and enthusiasm.
Dinner that evening was at La Curva, complete with delicious Mexican favorites and strolling Mariachi musicians.
On Sunday, the group worshiped at Family of God Church with a standing room-only crowd composed of Americans, Canadians and Mexicans. The service was led by an American minister from Texas.
Sunday afternoon was free time for all and included beach walks, spa soaks and naps. That evening, the Malicon (central shopping district) was the venue for shopping, local music and sunset viewing. The weekend was capped off with a lovely dinner at Lolita’s.
The group arrived home mid-day on Monday, blessed by being able to do Christ’s work among those so much in need and very grateful for what we have been blessed with in our own lives.

I guess these folks hadn't read the warnings.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Jack, most of the time you make me laugh but this time you made me cry.........If you see any of them tell them I said Thank you and Bless You.....

Oh Yeah Jerry.. I saw those people using a sling to toss Iced Valentine Cookies and sandwiches at the the children and the hungy... Oh my GOD it was so brutal... there was ketchup every where... even though I think you're a heartless SOB if you came to my door and told me you were hungry I would feed you...

And Jerry just what is your connection to Rocky Point..? don't you have a place in Santo Tomas (Saint Thomas)... I seem to recall your last BS comment about all us Christians and our crosses, and I reminded you that the majority of Mexicans are Christians... why do you even bother coming to Mexico, GOD forbid aren't you affraid that these Christians, might hit you with an Iced Valentine Cookie or a sandwich from a sling..?

Last edited:
Oh by the way last week I gave $300 and LadyJeeper contributed $50 to Esperanza Para Los Ninos... also since then I have received $100 from AZ ROB and another $100 from GV Jack that I will be delivering to my friend Jose Manuel Sanchez the director at Esperanza Para Los Ninos... I think I'm going to look for a sling so I can toss the cash at Jose Manuel...

IMG_0860.jpg

jerry

Well Known Member
easy My Brother...i was complementing the people from GV posting and drinking are always a mistake.......

QUOTE=Seadweller;54576]Oh Yeah Jerry.. I saw those people using a sling to toss Iced Valentine Cookies and sandwiches at the the children and the hungy... Oh my GOD it was so brutal... there was ketchup every where... even though I think you're a heartless SOB if you came to my door and told me you were hungry I would feed you...

And Jerry just what is your connection to Rocky Point..? don't you have a place in Santo Tomas (Saint Thomas)... I seem to recall your last BS comment about all us Christians and our crosses, and I reminded you that the majority of Mexicans are Christians... why do you even bother coming to Mexico, GOD forbid aren't you affraid that these Christians, might hit you with an Iced Valentine Cookie or a sandwich from a sling..?[/QUOTE]

Jerry I don't drink and thanks for proving my point... you for some reason need to belittle anyone who opposes anything you say...

Kenny

Well Known Member
easy My Brother...i was complementing the people from GV posting and drinking are always a mistake.......

QUOTE=Seadweller;54576]Oh Yeah Jerry.. I saw those people using a sling to toss Iced Valentine Cookies and sandwiches at the the children and the hungy... Oh my GOD it was so brutal... there was ketchup every where... even though I think you're a heartless SOB if you came to my door and told me you were hungry I would feed you...

And Jerry just what is your connection to Rocky Point..? don't you have a place in Santo Tomas (Saint Thomas)... I seem to recall your last BS comment about all us Christians and our crosses, and I reminded you that the majority of Mexicans are Christians... why do you even bother coming to Mexico, GOD forbid aren't you affraid that these Christians, might hit you with an Iced Valentine Cookie or a sandwich from a sling..?
[/QUOTE]

Caught me off guard there Mark; maybe you didn't read the part where they read the story of David and Goliath to the kids and had "creatively iced Valentine cookies"?

EDIT..I guess you did, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what the hell you were reading into this compliment, or why.
Valentine cookies and the best Kick-Ass story in the bible.....nice

Last edited:
Kenny... it's kind of like the boy who cried wolf... I have seen several posts by Jerry bashing Christianity and this post just came across as more of his sarcasm to me...

Jerry... if you meant it as a compliment I apologise for taking it the wrong way... and I take back calling you heartless...

jerry

Well Known Member
hey Mark Luis of Saric and the great Seri people had a different view about the Spanish and their imaginary friend ;at this place at this time I was just saying it was a cool thing the the people from Southern Arizona did on that day for those kids...it sounded like fun for everyone. Not to tell you what to read bro but you might be interested in the history of the mexican revolution and the Catholic Church. Also The Pope will be hearing about this: MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Weak law enforcement and compliant Church authorities make Mexico a haven for U.S. pedophile priests fleeing justice, a victims' group said on Wednesday.

The Survivors' Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, which helped bring a lawsuit this week against two of North America's top cardinals, said it knows of 46 mostly U.S. priests hiding out south of the border.

"Mexico has really become a secure place because here judicial authorities don't track them down and nothing happens," said group spokesman Eric Barragan.
(snip)

Barragan said Mexican pedophile priests, to a lesser degree, often flee to the United States.
(snip/...)

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=wor...

Kenny

Well Known Member
Kenny... it's kind of like the boy who cried wolf... I have seen several posts by Jerry bashing Christianity and this post just came across as more of his sarcasm to me...

Jerry... if you meant it as a compliment I apologise for taking it the wrong way... and I take back calling you heartless...
To late Mark; remember that old saying about letting sleeping dogs lie? LOL Oh no! Did I just call Jerry a old dog?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Many commie pinko ratfinks are heartless, but i don't think it applies to Jerry. Jerry's posts do tend to the abstract and sometimes abstruse and I think maybe poor Sea is maybe still suffering dolor. Maybe it was another neferious plot of the notorious GV to creat dissension, after all he started the thread.

The weather has been great. Had a large group down from Oregon just arrive for Spring Break and i guess AZ schools are winding down. Most of the activity seemed to have been in the Malecon this year. Seems to be improving, albeit slowly.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Roberto, you're in the office early today. Actually, I wish I could say I had a neferious plot, but alas, I'm not that clever.

I did make this post for a number of reasons. First, I’d like to address a couple of subjects brought up.
The subject of the priests and their so called flight from the US and/or Mexico is interesting. Pedophilia is a terrible and gross action. I know as a result of an elementary school incident where the head of the school decided I was too good and too weak to resist. I ran not really understanding what or why he tried what he did. I told my parents and all hell broke loose. The man was fired and I was brought to Arizona for three months and was home schooled by my mother. He died in an auto crash a couple years later.
It is popular for some to isolate the priests as the lone culprits in this situation, however, as we are learning, it happens all too terribly often. The priests and anyone who does such an act can run but they cannot hide. They may have freedom from the law, but in the end game they will pay a dear price.

Now dear Roberto, the reason I posted this. I am a huge believer in faith based programs to help the needy. This article struck a nerve because it is about an area we all love. It turns out I do have acquaintance with a couple of the people involved. What is my attachment to the faith based aspect? I have a twenty-two year old grandson who is a heroin addict. He was hopelessly hooked and we feared for his life. His family had tried everything and asked us to help. They have little money and can’t afford a Betty Ford type program. We heard of Teen Challenge, here in Tucson and applied to see if they could help him. They said, if you get him out here we’ll try to help. That was two years ago last January 22nd. Today Kris has graduated from the program, gone through the internship and is now a valuable member of the staff, helping others, the way he was helped. This is a very strict faith based program and has a high success rate. I support it at every chance. By the way anyone of any age can enroll. I have seen a number of fifty-something’s there.

Last week, we attended a fund raising banquet in Sierra Vista sponsored by some local churches and individuals. The young people from the Tucson center and the young ladies from the Casa Grande Home of Hope all were there and were the choir. They were clean, bright eyed and had great energy. I marvel at the courage and guts these folks have in their pursuit of sobriety. By the way, the banquet raised about $50,000 in cash and pledges.

I understand that “faith based” is a turn off for some. You know what, that’s alright and is what makes this a great country. I often say I will never try to push my religion or my political thinking on others. I do reserve the right to explain what and why I feel the way I do. I just hope that we all appreciate what these folks did. Most had never been to Rocky Point and had no bond. I’m sure many will return.

Sorry for the length of this piece, but now I feel better.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Dear GV;

Having had each of the categories of behavioral problems in treatment at one time in my clinical career we used whatever worked and whatever was available. Pedophiles (even an ex-priest !), rapists, victims of sex abuse, and multiple diagnosis substance abusers I've seen them all. I came to think that pedophiles and rapists should not be recognized as a diagnostic category in the DSM. Falls more in like with assault, murder, criminal behavior and probably should be treated that way. Substance abusers can change when there is motivation, which is often lacking and difficult to provide.

I like heroin too and know how seductive it can be. Fortunately I only popped and not mainlined and did not get addicted, that being in the early 60's. Treatment programs, of any type, are hard to find, or were 8 years ago when I got out of the profession. I found working with Native deteriorated alcoholics almost impossible.

I salute you, Gramps GV and your grandson as well. But that does not mean I will not continue to carefully monitor your activities when you are visiting !!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Roberto Said, "I salute you, Gramps GV and your grandson as well. But that does not mean I will not continue to carefully monitor your activities when you are visiting !!"

I would expect and could only hope for nothing less. Thank you. See you in late April.

Kenny

Well Known Member
I had 12 years of sobriety when I relapsed in 95/96 and it wasn't pretty, but It was sure was a wild ride.:mrgreen:

I'd already for the most part hung up my tool belt, and I'd spent most of a year working with men that because of the new laws were released from AZ's cruel and medieval state mental hospital. "Released" after experiencing 30 or more years of abuse and torture for some. These guy's were so messed up that they couldn't put them in group homes, they they were put in what was called a intermediate care facility. My job was to take these guy's out into the general population on a one on one basis 5 day's a week without anyone getting hurt, or worse. Now these guy's were crazy, and you didn't need a degree to make that assesment. You could tell at a glance, and a lot of "good" people didn't like to see them out in
"their" world. I was good with those guy's, a natural. It must have been because I'm more than a little crazy myself.

Anyway I'd stopped working with those guy's and I'd put the tool belt back on for $$ and was doing millwright work when I started drinking again. I relapsed, and after loosing it all and setting the desert on fire on my way out of Phoenix to Albuquerque where I thought I had work that wasn't there: neither was my friend for that matter.. So my dog and I were living the good life in my Suburban (rubber tramp) living permanently on vacation, and I was as crazy as the men I'd helped previously. My dog Max was a 15 years old Wolfound mix, and he died on January 17 of 97 at 16. So then it was just me, myself, and that crazy guy, I.

Some of us don't die, we just continue to suffer, and being one tough S.O.B. that was me. Since I kept waking up, I decided I needed to do something. I'd met Bill who worked for H.C.H. and he got me into a program that they no longer have called Casa Los Arbollas, and it might well have saved my life...abqhch.org

Anyway after completing my program at HCH I found out that the brothers of the good Shepard had a place they called a intermediate care facility, the Manor, and it housed Vietnam Vets with head injuries, stroke victims, old folks with alzheimers, dementia, stroke victims, or just old. There were a few my age with schizophrenia etc, and some that were so crazy only God knew what was wrong with them, and that's a maybe. A real Potpourri of folks at the "Manor"... There were also old and not so old priest's that were there because they needed assistance, and a couple were pedophiles. Though they had mental health problems, if they hadn't of been priest's there is no question they would have been in Jail... It sounded like a great place to work to me, and I spent 4 years working for the brothers there and loved it, and hell no, I'm not Catholic...The Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd Oh, and of couse I took some of them fishing, and let them pee on trees and stuff.:D

I also did volunteer work at St Martins Hospitality center. They called me the condom man because along with getting demographics of the homeless population in Albuquerque, I was handing out condoms and giving out literature on STD. I also gave them referrals to the various clinics in town where they could go for health care, and get tested for STD.St. Martin's Hospitality Center: Home

I only gave what I had; and you can only keep what you have, if you give it away.

Tree hugging bleeding heart liberals like me can still kick some :eek:; so don't forget to duck. :ham:

Last edited:

Kenny

Well Known Member
One of the pedophile priest's was distraught because of what he had done, so he was always having one of the other priest's hear his confession, and everyday. So he wouldn't go to hell I guess. Anyway one day the old monsignor who had more than his share of problems himself, Alzheimer's and a little dementia (Kenny, there's a dog in the tree! Don't worry Monsignor, he was chasing a cat, and forgot he couldn't climb) decided he wasn't going to listen to his crap anymore, and wouldn't take his confession any longer. So what did he do? In his full priest garb he snuck out of the manor and threw himself in front of a truck full of watermelons and was killed.. The truck was driven by a couple of young Mexican nationals who just happen to be devout cathlics. I couldn't make that up.