Rain, rain, rain 11/22/13

Kea

I guess we'll grab a motel. Our dog will not be happy. We were hoping they'd get the roads graded today.

playaperro

El Pirata
I just called my friend and he just went to sec 2 he drives a van no four wheel drive he said just saw one truck stuck by the corona del mar. Sec 5 and 9 are to ruff. He says you are ok, the grader made a pass thru on the side of the road.

Kea

Can you send me the number for the guard shack? So we can double check when we get in? We're in Gila Bend and will lose data service soon. I'll check back when we find wi-fi in Peñasco.

Thanks so much!

Kea

Yep, weather is beautiful today - lots of blue sky with a few clouds. Big improvement. Should help the roads dry out.

Roberto

It will take a day or so to really get things close to normal but yes, blue skies, warm sun. Lakes in the Mirador are receeding.

Kea

I know it can take a while, but at least the process can begin now. I was here for the Bike Rally flood. Some of that water hung around for almost a week (or so it seemed?). But I never saw any of the roads get as bad as they did in LC during this rain storm.

Roberto

It was a slow soaking rain over two days, rather than a fast deluge runoff. The heavy rains do not tend soak down into the caliche, most runs off the hard dried clay. It's the type of rain that gardeners and farmers love.

Kea

Back home in Austin / Central Texas would love this rain - so badly needed there. But there, 1.6" of rain wouldn't make a dent in the drought! (The day we had 4" of rain did get people's attention.) But, yes, the long, soakers are the best.

Roberto

Bright sunny day here Monday 11/25 but the roads in many parts of town are a disaster. Ocana is pitted with craters and the roads north in Nueva Esperanza and Colonia Nueva should be an embarasment to the town . These roads are unpaved and heavily used by residents and seldom used by visitors but virtually unmaintained.

If you drive in town beware of huge craters under some of the pools of water in the street. I watch and follow someone in front of me to see if they bounce hard so I can avoid another tire failure.

Thanks for the intel Roberto. Hopefully be better by Friday. Doesn't appear to be any more rain in the forecast as of today.
But this is AZ and you never know

MIRAMAR

We got about 3" rain on Friday in Miramar and another 2.5" on Saturday. The roads were bad, but have mostly dried up. There are a few really wet sections still so be careful if you're coming down.

WOW... 5.5" of rain over 2 days. That is a crap ton of rain.
That what flash floods are made of. I wonder what the roads are like going through Sonoyta?