report for 7-23-10

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Fishing was great. made up for last week. put 7 nice size grouper in the boat. 1 in the 90lbs range a couple in the 80's a 70lbs a 50 a 30 and a fat leopard at 17lbs. we could only fish for 2 hours due to lack of space in the boat for storing the fish. man that is a great problem to have. It was scotts birthday trip, and man was it ever he landed 3 of the 7 fish along with the monster 90 pounder. Dont worry wahoo these fish will be enjoyed by many people. none will go to waste. we caught these fish on scampi's live bait, irons and huge dead bait. which consisted of a 10lbs skip jack. we only made 4 drifts the seas were smooth with little wind which made for ideal conditions. the water was at 84 degees. and clear as pool water with about a 40 to 50 foot visibility. we made bait quickly which consisted of grunts and rockbass in about 40 foot of water. we could actually see them grab the sabikis as the water was that clear. we also saw a few tellow tail cruise by the boat. so i decided to jig an iron. on my third jerk i got nailed. i was using my 4/0 spooled with 80 lbs test. so i let him have a little drag but not to much i thought to myself man this thing is a monster of a yellow tail. by the time i got him about 40 feet from the boat i saw that it was not what i thought. It was about a 70lbs gulf grouper. i was amazed that he did not rock me up. we had not one break off or pulled hook. what a great trip

Attachments

Holy Crap, those are some nice fish.....congrats. And to think, I got to mow & weed whack today. You guys got this figured out !!

ReelHard

grouper slayer
no the yellow tail were on our 1st drift in about 150feet of water. We also saw stuart and dennis as we were heading out. cant wait for there report. im sure they fished hard all day. and with there expertice im sure they killed em

that is a great looking group of groupers, congrats you guys always do real well, I hope I get to go out one of the weekends i am not working, but I would be happy with any of the kind of fsh you caught, great job to the skipper and his mates

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Awesome report!

damn, yellowtail near Penasco in 84 degree water, while the water off San Diego is still 64 and nary a yellow to be found...

Spent my weekend celebrating my daughter's 7th birthday.

dmcauley

Great job boys, makes me wish I had gone with you. Couldn't make bait in RP for all the darn sierra( caught bunches of them) but Ed B and I went out to the close reefs and I managed to haul in a 45-50 lb Gulf Grouper. We saw lots of Dorado on the 12 mile reef but couldn't get them to bite. The heat pushed us in early so all in all it was a good day, but a hot one

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Guess I'll throw my report in here, too. Buoyweather was spot on with its prediction of flat water for Friday and Saturday. The only problem with flat water is no breeze -- it's getting brutally hot out there! Yeah, I know... complain about too much wind, complain about no wind. No such thing as a happy medium, I suppose.

Dennis and I joined Ted Miller down in Puerto Lobos on Friday to fish on his boat. Uneventful trip down, slight delay at the check point south of Rocky Point due to the Army checking everybody. Gotta pity those guys standing out there in the sun all day in full gear and helmets.

We got in about noon and waded out to join Ted on his boat. He was sitting very close to shore and was pointing out where the roosterfish run along the beach. He and Dennis had tried catching them before, but the roosters would only follow the lure and not strike it. Ted had ordered up some new lures that were supposed to be THE hot ticket for catching roosters. They're called Ranger lures and oh yes, they really do work! There were dark clouds of minnows sitting in the surfline, maybe two feet deep, if that. The roosters were sitting in the middle of them, creating a white sand spot in the middle of the bait school. They didn't seem to be actively feeding on the minnows, but were waiting for anything else that was.

Casting a Ranger out into minnow cloud, then quickly retrieving, would bring the roosters charging out after the lure. The water was crystal clear and it was fantastic to watch them hunt the lure down in packs, just like wolves. They are a super-determined predator and would come right to the surface to chase the lure down just like I've seen marlin do to trolling lures. The faster you retrieved the lure, the better they liked it.

We hooked up a nice one and it's a great battle on light tackle. We tried to play him out quickly, but it took about 10-15 minutes to get him to the boat and release him. Ted got some good pictures I'll link to when he posts them. Finally, my first roosterfish! Not a giant, but pushing 25-30 lbs. easy.

The roosters also seem to learn very quickly. You could target a batch of them two, maybe three times, then they'd ignore you. We'd move on down the beach and find another batch to sight cast. It's been along time since I've had that much plain ol' out and out fun catching any fish! By the way - you could have easily done this fishing from shore. The roosters were no more than a few yards off the tideline at high tide, a nice long sandy stretch of beach.

Oh - while we were fishing the roosters, we saw what at first looked like a big, dark bait ball just out from us about 20 yards or so. Suddenly, we saw a fin break the surface and realized it wasn't bait at all. It was a whale shark, about a 14 footer, just cruising by in less than 3 ft. of water. Ted got a decent video of it I'll link to when he posts it. I've never seen a whale shark so shallow, but it seemed perfectly healthy and eventually swam back out into deeper water.

We tried a few other deeper spots with jigs to finish up the day and caught a mixed bag of small fish - sierra, triggers, snapper, but nothing huge.

Day 2 we started out trolling some huge Mann's 50ft. deep diver lures because one of the Mexican divers had told us he'd seen some 40 kilo groupers in 40 ft. of water right off the point. We thought it would be fun trying to catch one trolling. We had one good bump on a lure, but it didn't stick. After a bit of this, we hit some close reefs to make bait. The reefs were loaded with monster size trigger fish. They were pounding the small bait jigs. We finally got a few rock bass and moved on.

We stopped on a grouper reef and Dennis immediately hooked up about a 40 pounder on the same light gear and jigs we were using for bait. First nice catch of the day! He took a break for a minute and dropped back down, only to get slammed by an even larger model. I didn't think there was anyway he'd get the fish in on such light gear, but he slowly worked that fish to the surface and it took two of us to pull it over the side. We put it on the scale and it checked in at 89 lbs. fresh out of the water.

So... time to go big game trolling. Ted had a set of outriggers for his boat, but didn't know how to set them up or use them. I showed him how to get them going and we put out a nice spread of trolling lures and headed for blue water. There were some decent patches of sargasso, but no dorado hanging out under them. We finally found a paddy that was holding some fish. They came out and attacked the lures, but they were just schoolie peanuts and too small to even take one of the trolling lures. We made another pass and cast to them and picked up one immediately. Kept it for ceviche. We spent about 4 hours trolling with no results. We saw several marlin jumping, but never did see one tailing on the surface.

We got tired of the fish ignoring us and headed back in. Since it was high tide, we took another shot at the roosterfish and hooked up a couple of those again.

All in all, a great trip with lots of different kinds of fishing. A nice break from Penasco. Lobos is fairly primitive and reminds of what Cholla Bay used to be like back in the day. Great friendly people and a lot of fun!

ON EDIT: Here's the link to Ted's report and pictures! Good stuff and MANY Thanks to Ted for great hospitality and a GREAT TIME!!!!

Kenny

Great report Stuart, and I'm sure fighting that rooster on the light gear on was a blast. Man I'd love to get into one one from shore with my vintage gear, and after looking at the Rangers lures, I have a vintage match of that lure too.

jerry

Stewart the road is being cut from the Agua chile just before the big curve to Ejido Obregon to Desemboque. it will take 20-25 miles off the trip .It will make it an hour trip to lobos..tops from Santo tomas.I can't wait till winter to go hiking in sheep country near Libertad!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I was just looking at Doug's pics... is that taken in front of Al Capones?

They have a fish rack out there...?

Fishing was great. made up for last week. put 7 nice size grouper in the boat. 1 in the 90lbs range a couple in the 80's a 70lbs a 50 a 30 and a fat leopard at 17lbs. we could only fish for 2 hours due to lack of space in the boat for storing the fish. man that is a great problem to have. It was scotts birthday trip, and man was it ever he landed 3 of the 7 fish along with the monster 90 pounder. Dont worry wahoo these fish will be enjoyed by many people. none will go to waste. we caught these fish on scampi's live bait, irons and huge dead bait. which consisted of a 10lbs skip jack. we only made 4 drifts the seas were smooth with little wind which made for ideal conditions. the water was at 84 degees. and clear as pool water with about a 40 to 50 foot visibility. we made bait quickly which consisted of grunts and rockbass in about 40 foot of water. we could actually see them grab the sabikis as the water was that clear. we also saw a few tellow tail cruise by the boat. so i decided to jig an iron. on my third jerk i got nailed. i was using my 4/0 spooled with 80 lbs test. so i let him have a little drag but not to much i thought to myself man this thing is a monster of a yellow tail. by the time i got him about 40 feet from the boat i saw that it was not what i thought. It was about a 70lbs gulf grouper. i was amazed that he did not rock me up. we had not one break off or pulled hook. what a great trip
It isn't often that you guys will see me in the Fishing section, because I don't understand your lingo. However, I thought I'd stop by and tell the Grouper Slayers that they are now famous!

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Nah. we borrowed that rack from safe marina. just to take pictures in front of capones. but Dave is working on getting us one.

Rosy, label it "this is Puerto Penasco fishing", not Lobos....
It was Stuart "grand Poobah" that went to Puerto Lobos and caught the incredible "Pez Gallo". Rooster Fish.

The Fish in the pictue are Puerto Penasco native, pictured in front of Capones...

http://lobosfishing.com/Lobos_Fishing/Fishing_Report/Entries/2010/7/24_Dog_Days_of_Summer.html
See? I told you I don't understand your lingo! The correction has been made. Great picture. It was nice to meet you guys.

dmcauley

no the yellow tail were on our 1st drift in about 150feet of water. We also saw stuart and dennis as we were heading out. cant wait for there report. im sure they fished hard all day. and with there expertice im sure they killed em
If you would read the whole thread Wahoo my friend, you may be able to dispense with some of your usual critisism. Rosy is a pretty accurate source.:jerry:

P

pikeu68

Rosie,
Thank you for the mention in your paper. It was nice to meet you and put a face with the name.

dmcauley

The beef with you is that you seem to think that you know more than everyone else. Even after reading the post again your blinders do not allow you to see that someone else was right and you were wrong in criticizing them. Do you think they had binoculars with which they could see to Lobos and spot Stu. You may be a very nice person but on this board you come off as anti-people.

( I also noticed your deliberate misspelling of my name.)

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
guys who cares where we caught those fish. but if you really want to know. it was rite in the corner of the mouth.