report for june 19th 2010

ReelHard

grouper slayer
woke up saturday morning and the ocean looked good. talked to dave and we planned on launching at about noon. It was going to be a late start as both of us had things to do. We met at the marina and of course by now the wind picked up. But you cant catch fish just thinking about it. So of we went. we managed to make pretty quick as we loaded up on bonefish and rockbass. we picked a closer reef this time as the seas were running close to 6 or 7 foot. We made our first drift and it lasted about 30 seconds before we were past the reef. our drift speed was about 2.8 mph. So i told dave we were gonna have to anchor. We got a few nice bites rather quickly but 1 managed to pull free and another rocked up. Then one more bite and I landed a nice 12 pound pinto. then we had a few more break offs. Then again moments later my pole started twitching so i pulled it out of the rod holder and it got slammed to the gunnel. I figured it to be a large gulf grouper but as i got the fish to the boat it was to our surprise a big pargo. The fished weight in at 37 lbs. That fish made the whole trip of getting beat up from the ride out. we tried a different reef with no luck. we decided to call it a day. the wind died down by now so the ride back was more enjoyable.

Attachments

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Barred pargo - sweet catch! And very yummy eating. I kept the dried jaws of the first barred pargo I caught around for years. Toothy critters!!

ReelHard

grouper slayer
hey all. yo will never guess. the world record for barred pargo is 21lbs 2oz. had mine weight on a certified scale today. which was 48 hrs from the time of catch. it was 32lbs. so im in the process now of submiting it to igfa to get my name in the books.

Kenny

When I was looking at that picture I was thinking I'd never seen one that size, or even close. You thought he might have been a "large Gulf Grouper", tell's a lot about how stout this fish was...... OK, what now? When your hot, your hot!

Great catch Doug, I have never seen such a huge pargo, you sure have been catching some monster fish, you might have to start your own show monster fish from Sea of cortez, again congrats great job

Ted

Wow Doug that is a great fish!! We cooked a barred pargo on the grill with cumin, s&p and butter-it was so good, I will never forget it. It is also the favorite for fish head soup!!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Awesome Doug!

good luck on the IGFA submission...

You're a fishing stud, no doubt about it.

Hey Doug... nice catch... Rick asked me to post this... he thinks they may be brothers... funny how he can find the fish, but he can't post photos...

I guess I can't post them either...

Attachments

Last edited: