Rocky Point Crime: Are we there yet?

audsley

Well Known Member
All I know is what I read in the newspaper, plus what I think I know about how Americans will react to what THEY read in the newspaper.

Check out the story in today's Az Daily Star. Is this the incident that puts a chill on Arizona tourists like nothing we've seen before?

Home invasion on Rocky Point tourists prompts new U.S. warning

[h=1]Home invasion on Rocky Point tourists prompts new U.S. warning[/h]http://www.rockypointtalk.com/#http://www.rockypointtalk.com/#

PrintEmail

«
»

[h=1]A shocking home invasion targeting a group of American tourists in Puerto Peñasco preceded the July 19 shootout there, prompting the U.S. consulate to issue a new advisory to travelers.[/h]

On July 17 in the early-morning hours five armed men entered a home in Las Conchas, a beachfront neighborhood populated largely by Americans, said the president of the area’s homeowners association in an email to property owners.
“They restrained the individuals who were renting the house,” wrote president Ginger Beauchamp. “These men stole electronics, bedding, jewelry and an unidentified amount of cash.”
This attack was the most brazen of four that occurred in the last four months, said Chad Cummins, the U.S. Consul General in Nogales, Sonora. The other assaults were on Americans who live in Rocky Point, as the beachside town is known.
One of the victims was attacked in his home and seriously injured, Cummins said.
The consulate plans to issue a new “warden message” this afternoon noting these violent incidents and advising tourists to take heed of the travel warning issued in February. That warning said tourists should travel in the daytime and only use the road from Lukeville to get to Rocky Point, not travel other connecting roads in Mexico.
While violence in Mexico has been commonplace for the last six years, Puerto Peñasco had largely escaped serious incidents, and attacks on foreigners were minimal.
The home invasion in Las Conchas was unprecedented as far as Beauchamp knows.
Read more in tomorrow's Star
[h=3][/h]

Kenny

Well Known Member
If it's true, why the delay in reporting something as horrendous as that, and what about the "four that occurred in the last four months"?

Roberto

Well Known Member
First I heard about this was about 1 hour earlier in the day today. It was street talk. Not a good thing and looks real bad for Penasco due in part the the penchant for the media to hammer stories about Mexcian Violence. Home Invasion reporting is trendy right now also, used to be B & E but Home Invasion sounds scarier so that's the new terminology.

The Teen up there in AZ deserves a medal for shooting a guy that broke into his family home. From the description I read he had a good head on his shoulders and did it just right.

audsley

Well Known Member
It's like Mondone said... you've got no firepower of your own in Mexico, and even if you did, you'd be overwhelmed by numbers

If a Las Conchas guest isn't safe, ain't nobody safe.

The guy who alerted me to this on-line story told me this is it for him until he's seen a few consecutive years of no violence against tourists. And this guy is an RP veteran.

But it will be interesting to see what else comes out tomorrow, and if there's any explanation regarding why this incident wasn't publicly reported sooner and how the reporter managed to get the story. This particular reporter has been known to respond to civil questions in the comments section, so we might try asking or emailing him. I'd be especially interested in how these characters got through the guard gate and why they weren't apprehended.

audsley

Well Known Member
Is the Beauchamp email wrong? When did the email go out? How many recipients of the Beauchamp email are habitues of this forum and thus might be expected to comment here? How do you know the 400 recipients of the Beauchamp email aren't buying it? And when did Tim Stellar become a drug reporter? This could come as a surprise to him. As for Roberto's earlier comment about terminology - B&E vs. home invasion - I'm not sure, but I believe home invasion connotes forced entry into an occupied home whereas breaking and entering does not. Let's see what shows up in the paper tomorrow.

BIG MAC

Does anyone have info on the other three invasions in PP that the article mentioned? Were they against tourists? And what area of town were they in?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
How could something like this happen and have had not made it to this forum? Especially the part about it happening to some American's that live down there? You would think if this happen to an American baby boomer it would have made its way onto this forum and in the news immediately. Something smells fishy here, has anyone ever heard of a home invasion on Americans in Rocky Point ever? Once again I want to know the facts, because usually when you start digging on a report like this you find that these were Mexican Americans or just Americans that had a direct connection or a loose connection to organized crime and or drugs. AMIRITE

Kenny

Well Known Member
Does anyone have info on the other three invasions in PP that the article mentioned? Were they against tourists? And what area of town were they in?
It didn't actually say what the other acts of violence were, and I'm wondering why they were so vague about them; if they happened at all.

Last edited:

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Sad!

One of the problems is Mexico is a lack of decent reporting and a lack of decent police work. The communication issue between the police and the victims also probably was a problem. I personally don't even know the police or fire numbers and am not aware of a 911 system.

I have always left my doors unlocked and open when in my house, may re-think this now.

One thing for sure: the home invasion/B&E incidents in metro Phoenix are often and violent and many go unreported.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
One of the problems is Mexico is a lack of decent reporting and a lack of decent police work. The communication issue between the police and the victims also probably was a problem. I personally don't even know the police or fire numbers and am not aware of a 911 system.

I have always left my doors unlocked and open when in my house, may re-think this now.

One thing for sure: the home invasion/B&E incidents in metro Phoenix are often and violent and many go unreported.
This story was reported and discussed on the radio news the day after it happened. It just took the US media this long to catch wind of it. Mexico Joe is right, this particular kind of crime is not the norm. This was directly related to the shooting just two days later. In this case, local media and the State Investigative Police did their jobs.

Dirtsurfer, you probably keep your doors locked at home and you should always do so here, too.

I have my doubts about the other incidents mentioned in the warning.

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
This story was reported and discussed on the radio news the day after it happened. It just took the US media this long to catch wind of it. Mexico Joe is right, this particular kind of crime is not the norm. This was directly related to the shooting just two days later. In this case, local media and the State Investigative Police did their jobs.

Dirtsurfer, you probably keep your doors locked at home and you should always do so here, too.

I have my doubts about the other incidents mentioned in the warning.

Yep the US Media was busy with the Colorado mass killings

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So you and Russ knew about it but did not share with the RPTalk community? It takes a front page article (Todays Tucson star) and a Consulate warning to make this board? This board is suppose to break news not follow it. And this happend 2 days before the shooting in town and three days before the Aurora Shooting so it is not a reason that this missed the press. This was placed under the rug for eyes outside not to see or talk about.

What I think is that CONDO's, HOTELS and the Mayan will benefit being secured locations vs free standing homes.
Hey wahoo, dont attempt to slander me. I was out of town at trade shows. I am just reading about it today for the first time as we just rolled into Penasco last night.