Rockypointnewsonline is all bad news

E

El Feo

The past couple of editions have been all about death and destruction, drug busts, death by accident, death by gunshot, murder, suicide.
What's up with that? I hope too many tourists don't find this publication. Makes Penasco lok real bad. I know ther's good news, but they seem to have fallen into the old media attitude that bad news sells!

A

azbeachboy

If you want cotton candy read the Rocky Point Times...I think it is nice to know what is really going on.

Jim

Chuck, I agree... to a point. Tourism here is so dismal and just more bad news does no good. I like to know what is going on in Rocky Point, not so much what happens in Caborca. Pick up DeFrente for that. There are so many positive things that happen here all the time. I would like to at least see the majority of the stories on the brighter side of life. You can hardly find one positive story in any newspaper these days. IMO that will just prolong the status quo. I'm a glass half full guy. I used to send the link to any new clients but them reading the last couple issues certainly won't help me feed my family.

A

azbeachboy

Jim, I know when I go to R.P. I'm safe. Phoenix and Tucson are what people should be worried about. We had a random murder at a car wash on the south side the other night. In almost forty years of going to Mexico the only problem I've had is with drunk Americans. I've been in the car when my friends have been stopped but a little mordita took care of that.In the last two years I was down 59 and 61 days.

E

El Feo

The point I am attempting to make is simply that the news in Penasco is not all bad, far from it, but reporting only bad news creates the appearance that it is all bad.

playaperro

El Pirata
El Feo said:
The point I am attempting to make is simply that the news in Penasco is not all bad, far from it, but reporting only bad news creates the appearance that it is all bad.
I agree with you Foe, as for Chuck, stop drinking when you read the Rocky point times, its all well you know fantasy. Please appy the 30 40 50 rule.
anyway I wish RPOL would only do news about penasco, good or bad but
not all bad. Like who cares the best chorizo in the world is on 12th ave one block south of ajo in Tucson az. :fish: :chef: :lol:

playaperro

El Pirata
rikyt said:
About that chorizo, on the east side or west of 12Th Ave? Do you know the name of the store?
Yeah, Its on the eastside of the street on the corner, I think the name is
La Familia meat market.
Feo sorry about the spelling of your name must of been drinking thr best tequila for price Traditional with a XX back.

El Feo said:
The past couple of editions have been all about death and destruction, drug busts, death by accident, death by gunshot, murder, suicide.
What's up with that? I hope too many tourists don't find this publication. Makes Penasco lok real bad. I know ther's good news, but they seem to have fallen into the old media attitude that bad news sells!
Well I'm sorry you're disappointed, Feo. The last couple of issues, and all the ones before that have been about what is happening in Rocky Point. And it disappoints me too. Nevertheless, I have an obligation to write about what happens. We're not ignoring good news. We print as much of it as we can find...but remember that the RPNO was started when there was a shooting in Sonoyta that had rumors running wild and people were needing the true story.

I happen to think that those of you who don't find our paper censored enough for your clients are selling people short. As another poster has pointed out, we're still safer in Penasco than in most U.S. cities, but to ignore the reality of what's happening is an error.

Now this week we have a shooting right on Calle 13 and Benito Juarez at 8:30pm. You want me to pretend it didn't happen? Sticking our heads in the sand is not the answer.

And while we're on the subject, there are tons of people who do care what happens in Caborca. The Rocky Point News Online remains the only true news in English in the entire state of Sonora, and that's nothing to sneeze at. Our analytics reflect the fact that people find us useful and topical.

Speaking of the analytics, the numbers show that people are reading all the pages. You seem to be reading only the front page (headlines), which puts you in the minority.

Bad news doesn't sell if the publication is free and the advertisers prefer a whitewashed version of the city. Whatever you read in RPNO is a reflection of what is truly happening without exploitation. And anyone who compares us to De Frente must be merely trying to rattle my cage, as there is no comparison between the two publications, and anyone who can read knows it.

Thanks for listening.
Rosie

Actually I kind of agree with Rosie on this. When you're a straight news source, as opposed to the potpourri you find on my blog, you report the news as you get it and you don't put a bunch of filler in the middle. Sometimes there's mostly "bad" news, so that's what gets reported. What happens in places like Caborca and Sonyta (and elsewhere) often impacts RP, so I don't personally find anything wrong with reporting those things.

I'd rather know what's going on than be blissfully ignorant. As an extreme (I said extreme) example, if the mainstream media had paid more attention to the Clinton administration's multiple/repeated warnings about the terrorism threat and the dangers of al Qaeda rather than filling the airwaves and newspapers 24/7 with their fixation on Monica's infamous Gap dress, well things might have been different. We might have been better prepared. Even today I'd bet not one out of ten thousand Americans could tell you how many major speeches Clinton gave on that subject, but they sure as heck know the color of that dress.

Just give me the regional news, good bad or indifferent, even if it isn't specific to RP. Rosie does that.

E

El Feo

"Well I'm sorry you're disappointed, Feo. The last couple of issues, and all the ones before that have been about what is happening in Rocky Point. And it disappoints "

Sorry, but you are wrong, that was not all the front page newsworty events in Penasco. My point is simple, a little attempt at balance is a good thing and I wish you would try a little harder for balance. Maybe your publication is 'free' but the reality is you do make money from the eyes you attract to the site. The more eyes, the more you can charge for the advertising. And yes I clicked through other pages, whe ones with the advertising. :ugeek:

Sorry, but you are wrong, that was not all the front page newsworty events in Penasco.
Every single week we write about the social events, about people and places, and about literature, history, and culture. The headline folders on my desktop are as follows:
-economy
-politics
-crime & traffic
-tourism
-community activities
We do include local, regional, and national news if I, as editor, deem it of interest to our readers.
I cover all fundraising events that I know about in advance or get reports of after the fact. I also report on money donated to charity. My email inbox is currently full...people are asking me about the shooting on Sunday. They don't even want to wait until Thursday to find out what happened and to whom. If you know of news that I'm ignoring, by all means send it in.

And you're right...we do sell ads, and we benefit from having people read the RPNO. Huerita does a good job, as does the RP Times for other things, I'm not interested in duplicating what they are already doing. Ours is something else, and I'm sorry if it isn't to your liking.

Rosie

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
BLOG FIGHT!! BLOG FIGHT!! BLOG FIGHT!!

Watch it, or I'm firing ALL of you and putting Perez Hilton in charge!

(Why couldn't he be the one that got a bullet in the head? There is no justice... sheesh!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

Submarine

Then it would be All Black Widow, All The Time.

Viva Rosie and no censorship. American 'news' could take some lessons from your site. Good, Bad, or Ugly; it's all there.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I want the news. All the news, hard soft and in between. As someone who likes to travel the back roads mostly in Caborca county and some time in Penasco I appreciate the news from down south. The highway that was paved connecting Caborca to Penasco way back when (I think 15 years ago?) connected the two cities and regions. I own no property and have no business interests down there, just a lifetime of experiences and amigos. I look at the development that has occurred, and now come to a screeching halt, as both a blessing and a curse. I want to know when a new restaurant opens, but I cringe a little when the next mega development is announced. I am glad I can rent a house in Santo Tomas, but I miss the days when I could be the only human being on 25 miles of beach. I get a chuckle out of the lack of a racetrack in Liberty Cove, but I still feel bad for the nice folks trying to make a living off tourism in Penasco and parts south. :fish: :mexico:

TJ the surfcaster

HAPPY

User is currently banned
LEAVE ROSIE ALONE, ~~~ KEEP TELLING IT LIKE IT IS BABY, ~~~

~~~ ROSIE ~~~ YOU A LITTLE NEW HERE, BUT YOU ARE STARTING TO SEE WHAT I BEEN FIGHTING HERE FOR YRS, ~~~

~~~ THE COMPLAINERS, THE WHINNERS, THE CRY BABIES, THE SNAKES, & THE CORNIES ~~~

~~~ THESE ARE THE @#$%^&* THAT LIKE TO BULLSHIT THEMSELVES, ~~~

~~~ AND YOU WILL FIND THAT MOST OF THEM ARE FROM THE ~~~ "PIGEON COOPS" ~~~

~~~ THE "TAIL DRAGGERS" ~~~ :lol: :lol: :lol:

~~~ MY FRIENDS I HAVE A SAYING, ~~~ "IF YOU ARE GOING TO BULLSHIT SOMEONE ~~~

~~~ DON'T BULLSHIT YOURSELF" ~~~

~~~ KEEP TELLING LIKE IT IS BABY, ~~~

~~~ NOW ENTERS THE "GREAT HAPPY", ~~~ HI HO SILVER, ~~~ AWAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

~~~ I AM THE ~~~ "GREAT HAPPY" :fish: Y :fish: Y :fish: Y