Rockypointtalk fishing tournament

Kenny

jj,s has a tournament coming up feb 12-14,cholla bay sportsman club has one that starts mar 5-7 , both tournaments have several phases to them
I should have checked, but oh well...The good news is there is no question that we will be able to get us a little rockypointtalk fishing tournament going from the great response we've had in just a few day's. There also is no question that we need to change the date. No way do we want to have it the same weekend as Cholla Bay sportsman club is having their's.
We just had a thread where we were talking about Spring, and renewal and rebirth, and the first week of June in PP has been my favorite time down there for as long as I can remember. The sea is alive with activity at that time. Since we are going to have a variety of fish on our target list, and hopefully a lot of different types of boats, and fisherman of all levels, June should fit the bill. I've also found it one of the best months to fish the Estuary's too. It would give most everyone a opportunity to get things together for the event, and maybe even make plan's for some time off as well. I'm sure at that time Mark would be able to pull some strings for a few deals that would make it more affordable as well. ( hi Mark LOL) I like the idea of having our gathering at the Jim's place, (as long as there is not a big Soccer game going on) and that's my vote on that part of it.
What do you guy's think? Lets hear what you have to say about your tornament.

Whoops, Thanks for the heads up Ralph....My dads name.

Kenny

Last edited:

joester

2 salty dawgs
June would make this at least possible for us - first week in March is not possible at all.
I agree that having a new friendly tourney the same weekend as an existing one doesn't make sense.
you'll figure out a time when this is right - Kenny seems to know these seasons pretty well :)

jerry

June sounds better to me,we could have a shore fishing day too!
In the meantime if any of you guys ever wanted to try San Carlos a guy I know is putting a trip together:

EL NINO YELLOW TAIL

TRIP 2010

This trip is 4 days 3 nights to San Carlos Mexico. Cost is $475 per person. Trip includes:

Transportation to/ from San Carlos Mexico (pickup PHX/TUC)
1 day Yellow Tail fishing (equipment, lures, Ice, Included)
3 nights accommodations at Luxury beach front Condo
Trip does not include:

Local transportation
Meals
Drinks
Tips
Transportation is provided by a licensed and insured motor carrier (US and Mexico). Fishing charter is with Catch 22 Sportfishing, Accommodations by Posada Condominiums.

02/04 Depart Phoenix 06:00 am. Arrive SC 2:00 pm

02/05 Fish

02/06 Possible second day fishing (Extra Charge)

02/07 Depart San Carlos 06:00 am. Arrive Phoenix 3:00 pm

SPACE LIMITED TO 14 PEOPLE.

To book your spot please call:

Sean Johnson

(602) 358-9034

P

pikeu68

The 3rd Annual Puerto Penasco Deep Sea Fishing Tournament is schedule to be held on May 8th and 9th this year, so sure to avoid that weekend.

don

Another late night, heading to CA in AM, (Bird dog trials).

Kenny, Happy and I tossed around the idea of modelling this tourney after sportfishing tourneys.

Different classes of pursuit, 3 total, [1. Shore, 2. Inshore (within 4 miles of shore line and less than 26 HP) and 3. Offshore]

Specie specific classes.

Here's the biggie: encourage a limited take for OFFSHORE BOATS ONLY, so as not to turn this into a tonnage/body count (we're above that and we've all commented on exploitation issues). So, for a "Tournament", consider a higher rung on our take.

By limited take allow only one fish (KEPT) per angler (per specie) to be weighed, but that fish has a 50% weight reduction penalty. Note: see last thought on this penalty.
However, prior to the start each captain would be issued a measuring tape and an SD chip for their digital camera. As fish are brought aboard, they're measured (length plus widest circumference) measurements photographed. Fish is released unharmed. At check in, photos downloaded to lap top (for clarity and publication). Fish weight determined using standard fish weight dimension scale. All fish released (plus one kept) weight would be totalled to arrive at a grand total for specie/per angler. Captain splits pot with winning angler(s).

Shore and inshore boats will have a set limit on numbers of fish to be weighed, per specie. This weight to be divided by total numbers weighed to arrive at average weight (promotes culling). This average weight will be Tournament weight for their specie/pursuit class.

Boats cannot leave dock with live bait, and all live bait must caught morning of derby.
Start Time: 0700.
Check in time: 1800 Saturday, 1400 Sunday, at Camel toe or JJ's or?.

Duration: 2 days

Meet at (?) for Registration Friday, 1800 till 2100.

Entry fee $30.00 (?) per angler. 20% of fee given to Marks favorite (PP) charity. Remainder split on 1st place per pursuit type /specie/. Can have Second place if enough $.

Thoughts? comments?

Obviously we need judge criteria (how many judges, whom, tie splitters, etc.).

Since it will be June, spoiling is an issue...Instead of a 50% weight penalty, we enter dressed weight. Thoughts?

PS: I haven't looked at tides first weekend in June yet.

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Don, i think the inshore anglers should release thier catches instead of the offshore fishermen. the reefs are to deep off shore and the fish wont survive due to the expantion of thier air bladders.

P

pikeu68

All they have posted on the wesite so far is the date. Go to www.cometorockypoint.com Make sure that you look at the pictures of last years tournament so you can see Team Reel Hard which finished second last year.

Wahoo, that is a nice-looking Corvina taken from the kayak.

I'd be interested in inshore if this coincides with our trip if it's early June or late May. Would a kayak be sufficient?

Kenny

a kick with light gear.

These fish were caught at Marua estuary in June. The picture was taken at a house in Encanto though... Imagine a belt line, because the one on the right was a very decent fish too. I was fishing a Vintage rod and reel, a light 7 footer. He reminded me of a Steelhead, because when he felt the hook, he headed back down the Estuary toward the open water in a big hurry... A fish like this, and the one's Wahoo posted are a kick with light gear.
No question there reelhard, most of the fish from the real deep reefs are beyond venting. I do remember one 45lb or so Black that did though, and at 280.. We were putting the gaff to him and the first attempt bounce off him. He not only threw the hook, he went back down. He never popped back up that we could see.
Keep the ideas coming. Between all us hard heads, we'll figure out a way to make this work...
"Captain splits pot with winning angler(s)"...
Where did this idea come from Captain Don?LOL... I have a captains hat, does that count?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kenny

Wahoo, that is a nice-looking Corvina taken from the kayak.

I'd be interested in inshore if this coincides with our trip if it's early June or late May. Would a kayak be sufficient?
Ric clued me in on how boat prop shy Corvina are when we were fishing off the rocks at Cholla. All it would take was one boat going out in the early morning to turn off a excellent bite, and the boat didn't have to be that close either. I figure those Panga guy's have been throwing nets at them for a long time, and any prop noise scatters them. Of course I noticed that when they came roaring in at La Pinta or Marua, but I didn't know that just a slowly crusing boat, and some distance away would do the same thing. I'd think a kayak would work better than someone who's trolling close in, if we're talking Corvina.

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
wahoo. The best white sea bass fishing would be the end of january through march. the bite should be hot rite now. and there are some big ones out there.

Kenny i agree that blacks should not be harvested. i would release every one i catch if possible. We never try to target them and if do happen to hook one we try to brake them off early. Have never been able to vent one sucsesfully.

dmcauley

JJ's cantina has been doing this for a long time. Someone should grab their rules and we can go with them. Leaving out grouper and /or any other fish is a good way for someone to call "foul" Categories is the best way. Remember, the Mexicans and Japs are the culprits of overfishing, not us sportsmen. There is a lot of talk anbout "let them grow" and everyone knows that the smaller fish taste better. Some of us know where the corvina live in deep water and weigh 25lbs and up so the categories still need to be in place. For those of you who don't know, the grouper are usually caught at the closer reefs. Let's all get together and have a ball, the money should all go to charity except for maybe a couple of bucks spent on ribbons. That's what I think it's all about.

Kenny

I don't think I've accused anyone on our forum of "targeting" big Black's and I'm sorry if anyone thought that, but there are way's of rigging and choice's of bait that will increase the odds of getting one. If there ever was a big, not a care in the world fish, It would be a big Black Sea Bass. I think the spearfisheman who used to hunt them off the California coast when I lived there, could have petted them before spearing em.
Ric and I were very surprised when that little 45lb Black got back down after we goosed him with the gaff that day. He wasn't supposed to be able to do that, and he wasn't vented.
Dan, what kind (species) of deep water 25lb+ Corvina are you referring to?

Last edited:

Kenny

I consider spear fishing for Blacks as one would hunt an elephant.
When I was a kid on the beach in Cali, before we moved to Phoenix, I remember seeing the tail end of big Blacks sticking out of 50 gallon trash cans. Relitivly shallow water, kelp beds, and a docile fish spelled a terrible waste

Kenny

Since you posted that page.

How about those big Golden Spotted we were catching that day? We put more than a few in the boat like that. I think Stuart ran into some exceptional big ones himself at about that same time. Rememer Stuart, we were talking about a cross breed and stuff?
The WSB were circle the reef that day, and we had some in the boat already. I was lucky enough to have gotten that one with a lighter rig than what you see in the pole holder. We didn't know what he was, no head shake at all, just digging for the bottom like a Grouper. I had the drag tightened way down, to tight actually, so I had to keep standing him off untill I could finally get a turn or two on him. I don't think he ever gave me any head shakes at all. We didn't know what he was for sure until we saw color.
Ric's the best! Hands down. The big Halibuts was a day after Thanksgiving trip, and as you can see, it was one more drop until the sun went down out at the deep reefs.
That's a couple of beautiful red Snapper that Stuart has there. Man, those are some nice fish.

Last edited:

RIC

Quoted from Wahoo
"Has someone caught a 20 lbs corvina in RP and surroundings?

The biggest shortfin I have ever caught was just over 8 lbs, however I have picked up over a dozen orangemouth corvina from the shore that were from 12-15 lbs and one that was just over 20 lbs. These were all from the rocky shoreline between pelican point and sandy beach I know the orangemouth corvina can reach over 40 lbs.

I sure like all this planning for a tournament. I suggest having as many as half a dozen dates throughout the year, that would give the maximum number of people a chance to participate. It would also bring all seasons into play so the prime time for the maximum number of species would be fishable as well. I know it may not be popular with some but I agree that reefs beyond 30 miles from port should not be part of the tournament. That way, a captain with an 18-20 ft boat would have the same chance as someone with a 30 ft boat. It would also eliminate the problem of catching blacks from deep water that probable would not survive the release. Believe me, there are plenty of opportunities for excellent fishing for very large fish 10-25 miles from port. Grouper (gulf and leopard) big pintos, california white sea bass, flounder, red snapper, goldspotted bass, corvina, and sharks are all available in large sizes and numbers this close in. My boat is plenty capable of trips to the reefs 40-60 miles out but I find myself making that run less and less every year and I do not miss it at all. As far as the tournament is concerned, when you are that far out, you really can not consider yourself fishing Rocky Point waters anymore. The fuel costs and safety issues make including reefs that far out an issue as well. I also like the idea of a surf fishing/kayak fishing catagory as well. Just my .02 cents worth. My fishing schedule looks like it may be a little lighter this year than usual as my wife Terri and I are working on taking our business to the next level but I will be following this tournament and trying to adjust my schedule so I can participate if possible.

Ric

RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

Last edited:

Roberto

Assuming you guys pull this off with a big catch. What happens to the fish you catch? Maybe you could plan ahead and arrange for one of the charities to take some to feed the local folk? If they know it's coming they might be able to use it.