Rockypointtalk fishing tournament

Kenny

Don, and Happy and I, and a few others have been throwing around some ideas for a fishing tournament for some time now, and we have been looking at the first weekend of March, before spring break as a target date. We thought that we could reach enough fisherman on this site to make it happen. Ideas have been thrown around about how to structure it for the maximum amount of fun and participation. Don has even come up with a idea on how we could get the shore, and inshore fisherman involved in the fun. We have just been throwing ideas up in the air about it so far, and I was hoping to get some thoughts about what you guy's thought about the general idea of a Rockypointtalk fishing tournament in March, and any ideas you would like to throw out there.

Kenny

Last edited:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
hey kenny i'm all over that. just get some details together. on entry fees and species, times and dates and im sure most of the guys who launch out of safe marina would be more than willing to participate. some of us need time to plan for the time to come down. you might also want to check the tides also. let me know what i can do to help.

Kenny

hey kenny i'm all over that. just get some details together. on entry fees and species, times and dates and im sure most of the guys who launch out of safe marina would be more than willing to participate. some of us need time to plan for the time to come down. you might also want to check the tides also. let me know what i can do to help.
The first weekend in March looks like a good tide, with Sunday being the best if I remember right. Don has been brainstorming this deal, and some of his ideas are about making this a tournament that everyone has fun regardless of what kind of boat or skill level they have. One thought was that since it's March, and some of the fisherman either don't have a boat that's capable, or is slow, or maybe they have never felt comfortable going to the 51, that we would make it off limits in a effort to level the playing field, and give more people a chance to participate. This was just one thought, and with the idea of making this a community tournament, I think it has merit. What you and Scott can do is throw out any ideas that you have. That goes for all of you.. I think what we will need to pull this first annual off, is our community working together to make this as fun as possible, for as many people as possible.
Mark, if we get the rule's, fish type's and all that right on this deal, it might be possible for someone, or a group on a charter the possibility of winning or showing well. We think it would be best to open this up to as many people as possible, not just the hard core boy's.

Kelney

I don't get down as much as I would like due to my work situation but this is something that I think would be fun and I would try to plan in advance.

I don't get down as much as I would like due to my work situation but this is something that I think would be fun and I would try to plan in advance.
Just blow off work... everyone knows that even your worst day of fishing is better than your best day at work...

Kenny... I'd be happy to put the word out and join in as well....

Kenny

All right, we have Kelney, Doug and Scott, and of course Don and maybe Happy.. Heck Mark, when I said it would be cool to make it a community event, how could you not jump in. Tyler doesn't know this yet, but I've made him and rockypointtalk out overall sponsor, but Mark or whoever, we'll need a place to meet after to share stories and tell lies about the one that got away and such. The Cholla has JJ's, we'll need a place as well.
We all know how the weather go's down there, and in some respects it's a crap shoot.The the only way we're going to make this a go, is to just keep the faith that's it's going to be a good weekend, and just show up unless buoy weather shows it's a big no go.
Start thinking about the types of fish, divisions if you will, and a breakdown so the pot gets spread around some. I suspect Don's been pretty busy up in flag. We were hit kinda hard here, but he was slammed up there, and we both have schools to get up and running again tomorrow.
Ohhh Stuart, Dan, ric, where are you?

Last edited:
A

azbeachboy

If you have room you can count me in. This sounds like fun. I was coming down the next weekend, now I have a excuse just to stay.

ReelHard

grouper slayer
I would be willing to offer any open spots on my boat for people who dont have the capabilitys to go far offshore. as long as cost are split. I'm sure other capts would do the same. all the ones i know anyway. As for keeping the deeper reefs off limits not a good idea. the closer reefs don't produce well in early march. That is why there would have to be a species catagory. I hate to say it but i aint gonna catch trigger fish and rock bass all day. No matter what the pay out. I think we could have a capts meeting at al capones grill and bar. and do awards and recognitios there i'm positive the owner will go for that. I can ask him some time this week. He is all about fishing and participating in events. Lets gets some more ideas out there . the more the better.

Kenny

If you have room you can count me in. This sounds like fun. I was coming down the next weekend, now I have a excuse just to stay.
Good deal Chuck. What I'm thinking is that there are enough people on this forum who do not have a boat, but who would like to get involved in a outing like this, that the guy's with boats will easily be able to get the appropriate number of people on their boat to share coast's. I see this as a win win situation, for the guy's with boats, and for some who have been looking for a opportunity to get out on the water. If you have a boat, but you don't have anyone at this time to share cost's, you might think about posting up that you are looking for fishing buddies for the tournament.

Edit ..Wow! do I type slow or what..LOL I started before Reelhard had posted..LOL OK, I did do a few things while typing it.

No one mentioned the deeper reefs, just the 51, and that's not in stone. But if you think about it, Stuart for instance, and other faster boats would be out there fishing way before a lot of others, and talk about a possibe crowd as well... I think I just read that you were thinking about doing a little Grouper hunting next time out yourself, even though you know as well as I do that it's better closer in when the water warms up.

Last edited:
what about a category for personal watercraft such as kayaks, float-tubes and like "WoodSpinners" little one man pontoon boat?

Last edited:
we'll need a place to meet after to share stories and tell lies about the one that got away and such. The Cholla has JJ's, we'll need a place as well.
I know a guy named Jim that has a big bar that could hold a crowd... I'll ask him if we can meet there... WHAT DO YOU THINK JIM?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Heck, I'm just going to the fish market and buying the biggest fish I can find as my entry. Hahahah!

It would almost have to be a species-specific tournament at that time of year. Biggest corvina, biggest snapper, biggest pinto, biggest lizardfish, etc. As previously said, there's really not much action close-in at that time of year. Those that can't run out far will be at a big disadvantage, except for the triggerfish and sand bass categories. The only other thing I could think of is sort of the way they run some of the tournaments in Cabo. Have a fleet of pangas, everybody draws a panga name, and your group of three or four fishes on that panga. Kinda levels the playing field a bit, but adds to the expense of it.

don

Hey Fellas, Kenny was correct, over 5 feet of snow, extremely busy, I'll post more info at lunch.

what about a category for personal watercraft such as kayaks, float-tubes and like "WoodSpinners" little one man pontoon boat?
You left out jetski....that was for Jerry's benefit!! :cry: (Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I don't fish)

dmcauley

I'm in and I always have room for a fisherman or 2. I agree that if we count the 51 out that I'm out, the fishing inshore isn't so hot this time of year and all of us who fish the deeper reefs get out there pretty quick. Species catagories is the best way to go. Count me and Willy in.

ralph g

jj,s has a tournament coming up feb 12-14,cholla bay sportsman club has one that starts mar 5-7 , both tournaments have several phases to them

don

Hey fellas, worked thru lunch yesterday, went to PT, went to second job, got home after 8 last night. I'm editing (changing tourney rules/regs as I see posts). Kenny, glad you brought the idea forward! Hope to wrap this up and post so you fellas can make recommendations.

Reason why Kenny and I chose the March date is because that was the best time for some of us to get together. We avoided Spring break (all 3 Universities have break on week of 3-15), so the first weekend looked best for tides.

I've never had a problem catching groupers (smaller varieties please) and an occasional red snapper in March... but then again, I haven't fished the deeper reefs at that time. That said, I'll probably be fish-less that weekend. I do not target triggers or sand bass, they are just "by catch", and released unless used for bait.:wink: