Rockypointtalk fishing tournament

don

Three months and several weeks before the Tournament. We need help though! Stu, Ric, Pike, Dan, Mark, Happy, Joe, Art, Kelney, Robert, and others; what are your thoughts and recommendations, changes for the rules?

Some folks are working getting sponsorships along with embroidered hats. But, we need to know if anyone is interested in partaking of this tournament.

Shore anglers, any interest?
Bay anglers?
Inshore fishermen, any interest?
Big fellas, off shore anglers, interested?

Thanks,
Don

P

pikeu68

Doug and I are always happy to come down and take peoples donations and we already have our sponsor(s) lined up.

One thing you might want to consider changing is the diiference between offshore and inshore, I would set the distance at 8 or 10 miles because there are some great reefs 12 or 13 miles offshore. Also I do not understand if you fish only against people in your category or are you fishing against all categories?

Is the dress for the fish formal, informal, or is it business casual? I just need to know what outfits to bring.

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ "Three months and several weeks before tournament" ~~~ Don, Don, Paaaaaaalease,

~~~ "Embroidered hats" ~~~ OMG, Don,

~~~ Don you left out one big detail, ~~~

~~~ You have to tell people where they are going to board the 60 foot Viking, & Hatteras Sportfishers, for this ~~~ "Tournament"

~~~ I mean with all of this hi tec rules & regs. & "Pipeline Ideas" ~~~ that you & your running mate Kenny up in Prescott came up with, ~~~ The pack will not accept anything less !!!

~~~ Don OMG, ~~~ people are going to think that I am in on this fiasco, !!!

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ "Three months and several weeks before tournament" ~~~ Don, Don, Paaaaaaalease,

~~~ "Embroidered hats" ~~~ OMG, Don,

~~~ Don you left out one big detail, ~~~

~~~ You have to tell people where they are going to board the 60 foot Viking, & Hatteras Sportfishers, for this ~~~ "Tournament"

~~~ I mean with all of this hi tec rules & regs. & "Pipeline Ideas" ~~~ that you & your running mate Kenny up in Prescott came up with, ~~~ The pack will not accept anything less !!!

~~~ Don OMG, ~~~ people are going to think that I am in on this fiasco, !!!
~~~ OK, ~~~ I am now getting some S@#$ about this post, ~~~ it appears that I offended some people, & without naming anyone, ~~~ which was ~~~ NOT the intent, ~~~ & from someone TOTALLY unexpected, ~~~ I am in total & complete shock that anyone would go into ORBIT over this, ~~~ ??? ~~~ I have to scratch my head on this one,

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ I have a 9:30 appoint. in the morning with my tailor, he will be fitting me for a tuxedo, ~~~ he promised to have it in time for the big day, ~~~ & being that I will be offshore, the jacket will be silver, with black trousers so as to compliment my black tie, ~~~

don

Yupper, there are some great reefs 12/13 and 14 miles out. That's why I chose the 15 mile limit. It would give the fellas in smaller craft (I fished those in a 16 mirrocraft, CALM seas) a descent chance of bringing in nice fish. But whatever the consensus thinks.

Classes will only compete against others in the same class.

Screw up on my part about not specifying type of dress for fish. So, any dress works... not to short though; or we'll have someone selling it beads... Fish with beads.... No...

Geeez Happy, bailing out on us??? your idea even...

Well, we've heard fish stories from you; hmmm never pics... No worries if you won't be able to participate.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Three months and several weeks before the Tournament. We need help though! Stu, Ric, Pike, Dan, Mark, Happy, Joe, Art, Kelney, Robert, and others; what are your thoughts and recommendations, changes for the rules?

Some folks are working getting sponsorships along with embroidered hats. But, we need to know if anyone is interested in partaking of this tournament.

Shore anglers, any interest?
Bay anglers?
Inshore fishermen, any interest?
Big fellas, off shore anglers, interested?

Thanks,
Don

I'm interested, but I can't commit to the dates at this point- Too much going on with work. I'll post as soon as I know whether I am a positive or a negative for that weekend.

"will be allowed (How much fellas?) percentage increase to arrive at a total body weight."
-In my experience, a typical fish loses about 15% of it's weight when you gut it.

"Species allowed: Game fish to include: grouper/separate by genus, pargo, pinto, corvina, corbina,
red snapper, sierra, trigger, sand bass, gold spots, white sea bass, pompano,
flounder and…(Fellas?)"
- Probably need Yellowtail and Dorado categories, and maybe separate Shortfin from Orangemouth Corvina. also should consider separating inshore flounder from the big offshore Halibut.

With so many species available down there, I think we need to maybe finalize a list of the species that will be included- otherwise the prize money may end up being $1 per species, and you never know - some joker could show up with a big ugly cusk eel and expect a prize:grin:

"Registration: Via the Forum. Payment (how much?) "
- Hmmm.... I don't know- $30 or $40 per guy? just throwing it out there to get the discussion going.... After all, it sounds to me like any amount we put in will all just be going to BWITRY when he gets out there and starts slinging his beef stew :-D

-Robert

Last edited:

don

Moore, you're correct about limiting prize/specie.

What are thoughts on these species for offshore and inshore boats?
Lump all grouper species together; only one fish weigh in per angler.
Pinto's separate class.
Gold spots and WSB

Near shore:
All grouper species lumped together, only one fish weigh in per angler,
Pintos separate class,
Corvina, Triggers and flounders.

Shore anglers:
Same as near shore.

Of course we can always limit this to one/two species per class.

Idea is to give as many anglers opportunity to enter, with a chance of winning their class. But, there has got to be a minimal numbers of anglers per class.

This tourney is about having fun, meeting folks, sharing laughs and raising $ for a charity.

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ OMG, OMG, OMG ~~~ Holy Tournament !!! ~~~ Don, Don, ~~~ puleeeeeeeeeeezzzzz, ~~~ :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

~~~ Time to put this thing in the ~~~ RECYCLE BIN, ~~~ :gayfight:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'm inclined to agree with Happy at this point. Ya know, if you were hosting a big game tournament with millions in pesos as prize money, I could see setting some rules and regs. But you guys are all over the place with this thing. KISS! Otherwise, nobody can keep track of the who, what, when, where's of it all.

May the biggest fish win. Period.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I think the whole thing should be re-engineered into who can catch the most fish on the most unusual bait...

If BWITRY is fishing with beef stew, and Stuart is chumming with cat food, then I'm gonna top all of you by using Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.... :ugeek:

Kenny

Whew! Stuart, I thought it was just me who was confused ..LOL We've got months to whittle it down, and Don's having fun with it. Remember what he said
"Idea is to give as many anglers opportunity to enter, with a chance of winning their class."
and
This tourney is about having fun, meeting folks, sharing laughs and raising $ for a charity.
Personally, and just as a example... I think if someone catches a 3 foot Guitar fish from shore, Kayak etc, it should be allowed in as the BIGFISH! from that group.. As you know Stuart, there are some big Guitar fish out there in June, and a blast to catch on light gear... All Corvina should be lumped together. If a guy is lucky enough to catch one of the seldom caught Orangemouth's, there's a good chance he'll have the BIGFISH! in the Corvina category, no matter where's he's fishing from, shore or Kayak etc. My biggest Corvina have been taken from Shore.
Just three category's of fish from shore, Kayak etc.(1)BIGFISH! of any kind,(2) biggest Corvina, and the(3rd) is biggest Bass in all category's, Sand, Rock, etc.
When I'm offshore a Corvina is bait, and anyone fishing offshore is not allowed to enter a Corvina in the biggest Corvina category, just the shore, Kayak, raft, etc entries.
I want a lot of shore type fisherman to be able to participate, and have a opportunity to catch the BIGFISH!, no matter what kind it is.

Last edited:

Kenny

The first weekend in June, the 5th and 6th.

So when is this?
One of the best time's of the year in Rocky point, and on the sea of Cortez, the first weekend of June, the 5th and 6th. So you had better plan on being down that weekend Tyler.
I'm working on getting some us some sponsors (Hi Rosie) like maybe http://proalliance.com.mx or the (hi Jim) http://www.cameltoecantina.net/ We're also looking at some prizes that might include a free stay at a Hotel in town.

Kenny

don

Hey Stu,
you've got some great ideas.
I was going to be keeping track of the weigh ins, and registration. That's why we chose a set time frame for weigh-in Saturday evening, Sunday AM and the final weigh in on Sunday afternoon. Obviously staying around for the beginning to end of weigh ins will have an impact on my water time, but what the heck this is for fun anyway. And besides if one of you happen to weigh-in a larger fish... well I can always use the excuse that I was hanging around Safe Marina instead of catching fish. Kenny's idea looks great for the shore and near shore folks (kayak, shark donuts, inflatables). For inshore (12 mile radius) and offshore (wherever you want to go) the A) largest grouper or B) white bass or C) largest fish; whatever you guys think.

Likewise do we enter the inshore with offshore if only one or two inshore enter? Does anyone plan on fishing inshore (12 mile radius)? We might have just two categories, offshore and near shore/shore fishing. Or, for that matter, shore and offshore... Whatever we can do to get the most interest and fun. Do we have shore for adult and under 18?

Two weeks ago, when Kenny and I were down, there was a poster posted at JJ's for the current tournament. They were offering a prize for the largest "Trigger" caught. So, the (CBSC) tournament also had a different twist.

Lets hear from shore fishermen, and inshore guys, if any. Likewise what do the rest of you offshore guys think? Stu, just go with largest fish for offshore guys, right?

Maybe we can get Tyler down there as well as another weigh-in official.

Last edited: