RP/RCPM this weekend

• Thread starter colemanscottage
  • Start date
C

colemanscottage

Anyone headed down? Do you know if tix to the show are still available? Should be a beautiful weekend and the last relatively cool one for a while!

Tix are still avail at the door for $30. Openers at a free show inside Chango's at 3pm and 4pm, sort of a "tailgate" party, along with the Girls of Rocky Point Calendar model signing thing they're doing. Mariachis start at the RCPM show at 6pm, Dead Rock West (twangy country-rock act) at 7pm, RCPM at 8pm until who knows. Probably 12am. More details at http://tucsonscene.com on the calendar section, including Friday and Sunday's schedule.

Btw, Jim, who do you have playing over at the CTC? I'll add it to the calendar.

Jim

Sorry to all if I am pimping the bar too much on this site. I just want to get the word out that it is open again. Thursdays we have Akustikos (Mexican and American Rock) and Banda Sinaloence (Traditional Banda Music). Friday is Grupo Norto (Nortena Music). Finally, Saturday is Akustikos again. This is the schedule for now. If anything changes, I will post it. Thanks.

C

colemanscottage

No worries, Jim! Feel free to "pimp" away! This is a great forum to let folks know you are open! Looking forward to meeting you this weekend! Seee you soon! BTW, Jim, do you have wifi @ CTC? Just another way to draw folks in :). How about bfast? Can't wait to check you guys out and best of luck to you!

C

colemanscottage

Oh and thanks for the info GringoZona! Es muy Perfecto!

Jim

Wifi yes. Free calls to the USA yes. Sorry, no breakfast. (unless you count bloody marys?)

C

colemanscottage

YAY! All that and Bloody Mary's too? What more could a girl ask for :)

C

colemanscottage

Show was amazing (and long!) Met some really great peeps! Since this was our first Circus Mexicus, we can't speak to past attendance, but we were right up near the stage for the entire show and it was a fab nite!

New venue seemed okay to us (esp. since we'd not attended anything over at the Sunset in years past) but it was a long walk along the beach to our hotel after the show (actually, we cheated and grabbed a cab about mid-way back!)

Suggestion for next years show: Do it on the beach if at all possible, like maybe at the Reef or one of the resorts if there's room.

As for us, we'll most likely be back next year, but really liked the January Jam @ JJ's over Superbowl Weekend and are hoping to make that a Coleman Family Tradition!

P.S. For an amazing dinner in RP, check out the Blue Marlin in Old Port, just up the road from Lapa Lapa (which has a lovely patio and a nice menu as well!)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leenie

The concert was great. At first I wasn't thrilled with the location chage but it was much spacious and you could actually get to the stage for a change. Sunset cantina was great becasue you could go and sit along the ocean in the back parking lot if you needed to get away and relax. My entire goup (13 of us) all were hoarse in the morning from singing along. this was my 10th concert in mexico I think and again it was awesome and worth any penny.

The only thing I didn't like about the location was there were alot of people who just heard there was a concert and showed up. I actually heard some chica arguing over the price of the tickets at the entrance. She showed up after the opening act and was demanding to pay only half price since the show was half over. Peacemaker fans just aren't like that so a few of those people threw the vibe of the place off but after a few shots of smuggled tequila I didn't care!!!!

J

Jamie75

Show was good. In my opinion I liked it better at Sunset. BUT my opinion is slightly biased as I am very close to Brad(owner of Sunset). We were in the VIP which was located RIGHT next to the stage, which was cool. But for the same price($75) at Sunset, we would get dinner and have a completely open bar. This VIP was beer, margaritas, soda, and water. And you had to purchase food. Good thing I am pregnant, because I don't like beer or margarita's and would have been a little annoyed that I couldn't even BUY something different.
The location, itself, was great, as we have a place at Princesa and could walk over. The sand was a bit hard to walk in but helped with the whole 'beach' feel of the show. I thought they(Larry and crew) were going to lower the price of beer and keep the bathrooms cleaner for this show...at least, that is what I heard. Still $4 beers, and gross, DARK inside J-Johns. Oh well! It was still a total blast!

I'm sitting up at Latitude 31 with Russ Black, one of the event organizers. He's looking over my shoulder to see what y'all have to say about the concert. Because I don't like people reading my shit over my shoulder, I've told him to sign on. If you guys want to earn extra points with me, which are worthless, but points nonetheless...give him a hard time when he gets here!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
RCPM Show stats

The show this year outsold the show last year at the Sunset. Paid admission was up 30 percent over last year and the lot that it was held on can accommodate about 10,000 if we decide to push it next year. Pretty much everyone in town reports a good uptick in their sales and even the employees that couldn't get to the show said it was worth it as their tips were a record. The gas stations in Ajo said that they haven't seen traffic like that for over a year. The locals here really love Roger and all he does for the community. Plus the show was great again. If you want more details feel free to email me [email protected] owner of Penasco Recreation Sa de Cv
Later, Russ

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
RCPM Stats

Hi Guys - Rough estimates over 2500 people there. Drank a bunch of beer for sure, ate a lot of food and listened to some great music. The concert was what Penasco needed to get out of the funk caused by the obviously biased Arizona media. want more info?

[email protected]

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
My other replys did not get posted yet so I will try one more time. If it post more than once I am sorry!

The concert and the entire weekend was a huge success. More people came this year than last year and the show went off without a hitch. We were up almost 30% from last year. The local economy boom was in the neighborhood of 1.75 to 2.5 million I will have hard stats by the end of the week.

Food sales were strong and beer was sold as well in large quantities. Nobody told me anything bad about the weekend, all numbers are up and the energy in town was palpable. Great weekend! Thank you all who came despite all the bad news in the US press about Mexico. Logical thinking folks thats all it takes.

Hol from Penasco (a nice evening to be sure)

M

m4shawn

This is GREAT news and very encouraging, Russ! Very happy to hear it, along with the reports of a big Memorial Day weekend. Seems not everyone is buying into the hoax that Rocky Point is a shithole of drug vampires. Thank goodnes for those who think for themselves and keep their perspective. Let's hope the drug idiots kill each other and attack police stations far away from the state of Sonora. God knows Channel 12 wraps their "reports" up in tabloid level accuracy and fear mongering sensationalism whenever they get wind of anything.
I wish the Mexican govt would pour a ton of money into some really creative American marketing for tourism.