Santo Tomas pictures

jerry

Well Known Member
my entry flowers and lobos from the air a while back......note the road south of San Jorge is in awesome condition.Be aware of a new anti drug squad driving new unmarked Volkswagon Anorak pickups( nice) stopping new trucks on La Costera....no uniforms,they have police lights and come up to your window with submachine guns ready...see you are gringos and let you go! Also the guy at the Sonoyta redcross stop is letting people head south up the hill and claiming you are going 60kph....He wants to settle...tells you the fin is 2500 pesos at the station....he takes your license if you say no deal and the ticket at the station is 500 pesos....dont pay on the road!!!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I have had several dealings with this guy, total scam. My new tactic is to always follow someone through that particular part of town.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Very sweet Jerry..............

You should get an honorary Seri Indian tribal membership.

What form of flotation did you use? Looks like the original Arrow Weed that those Indios used back in the old days, actually not that long ago. Correctly nautically known as a balsa craft, not necessarily made from balsa wood but anything that can be bundled to produce a naturally buoyant platform for laying on to fish or dive from. They were even used in fresh water by the Incas on lake Titty Caca in the high Andes. I'll probably find it beached next weekend and add it to my collection of Mexican death artifacts. That casco de bull Lobo Del Mar was probably terminated with extreme prejudice by the local PP shrimp trawlers with their rifles ilegal that they carry on every boat and use shoot every protected marine mammal they can get their sights on.

If you feel really industrious why not make one large enough to carry the half wit from the half white house and send him to the bottom with a remote auto sink app from your smart phone. Probably contaminate the Sea for many years to come!

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Very sweet Jerry..............

You should get an honorary Seri Indian tribal membership.

What form of flotation did you use? Looks like the original Arrow Weed that those Indios used back in the old days, actually not that long ago. Correctly nautically known as a balsa craft, not necessarily made from balsa wood but anything that can be bundled to produce a naturally buoyant platform for laying on to fish or dive from. They were even used in fresh water by the Incas on lake Titty Caca in the high Andes. I'll probably find it beached next weekend and add it to my collection of Mexican death artifacts. That casco de bull Lobo Del Mar was probably terminated with extreme prejudice by the local PP shrimp trawlers with their rifles ilegal that they carry on every boat and use shoot every protected marine mammal they can get their sights on.

If you feel really industrious why not make one large enough to carry the half wit from the half white house and send him to the bottom with a remote auto sink app from your smart phone. Probably contaminate the Sea for many years to come!

JJ
Thanks Jim, actually they don't float to well....no human remains planned for my death rafts....I am planning on building a towable swim raft I can moor to that Ww2 Grumman fighter motor just off shored http://the-wanderling.com/hellcat.html Someone stripped the 50cals off the wreck two years ago....still hoping to find a jap mini sub http://the-wanderling.com/hellcat.html

Last edited:

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Interesting link to the Hellcat...........

Had no idea you were so famous Jerry!

I've been hitting that wreck for at least twenty years now. Never knew what sort of aircraft it was. Always timed my meetings there with super low tides in order to collect a bucket full of Gulf Blue Crab claws. Daytime comes and the water recedes leaving the crabs with no cover so they burrow into the sand against anything they can find. Locate a rock, whale bone or a WWII Hellcat and you're in for a crab haul! Most times I just tickle them out of the sand along the forward edges of the wings and I'll end up with fifty or sixty of them. I grab them with a pair of barbecue tongs then break off the big pincers with my fingers and let em go to grow a new pair. Then scoot back to PP and boil them in a pot spiced up with Cajun Crab Boil, talk about heavenly! Only thing they might need is a dip into a bowl of melted butter with a squirt of a fresh cut Mexican Lime juice.

As for US WWII fighter aircraft operating in Mexico it was nothing unusual at all. US Army pilots in training would search out anything big enough to use as a target for a good gun run. The Sierra del Rosario range located in the Altar Dunes has some gigantic granite boulders that eons ago tumbled down the south facing slopes. One of them is at least sixty feet tall and split in half to form two ideal smooth slabs for aerial gunning and running. There are untold millions of 50 cal. and 20 mm. brass and steel casings scattered around them. The slabs are pock marked with thousands of hits and the desert sands nearby have so many steel armor piercing projectiles that you would be stunned. We used to camp there regularly until the narcos took over the area.

Also, on that stretch of beach are some really vast beds of natural clay that extinct Indios used to make their big storage pots known as ollas in modern day terms. Above the bank there are dozens of rock heaps and shell middens where they camped, ate sea food, made pottery and fired it up with the abundant Mesquite wood there. Out on the seaside edges of the clay beds where the clay meets the sand is a super good area for the Blue Crabs. If you look closely you will find hundreds of holes in the clay that are the burrows of a type of rock and wood boring clam known a the Piddock. They are quite easy to dig out of the clay with your hunting knife and are a delicious treat to eat. They look like a mini version of the big Horse Dick clams with a very small shell compared to the amount of meat. The tail ends of the shell halves are covered with short spines that resemble a carpenters rasp. The use these to twist and grind away the sides of their burrows as they grow. Those that I've collected there are sometimes up to four inches long and you can't judge the size of the clam by the size of the hole opening as the clam only needs the opening to be large enough to get it's siphons into the water.

When I was a kid in Newport Beach I used to paddle my surf board up to old wood dock pilings and dig them out with a knife. They were much larger than the ones in the Sea of Cortez, sometimes up to six inches long and just three or four would make a delicious meal. Gone are the days.

Later,

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Interesting link to the Hellcat...........

Had no idea you were so famous Jerry!

I've been hitting that wreck for at least twenty years now. Never knew what sort of aircraft it was. Always timed my meetings there with super low tides in order to collect a bucket full of Gulf Blue Crab claws. Daytime comes and the water recedes leaving the crabs with no cover so they burrow into the sand against anything they can find. Locate a rock, whale bone or a WWII Hellcat and you're in for a crab haul! Most times I just tickle them out of the sand along the forward edges of the wings and I'll end up with fifty or sixty of them. I grab them with a pair of barbecue tongs then break off the big pincers with my fingers and let em go to grow a new pair. Then scoot back to PP and boil them in a pot spiced up with Cajun Crab Boil, talk about heavenly! Only thing they might need is a dip into a bowl of melted butter with a squirt of a fresh cut Mexican Lime juice.

As for US WWII fighter aircraft operating in Mexico it was nothing unusual at all. US Army pilots in training would search out anything big enough to use as a target for a good gun run. The Sierra del Rosario range located in the Altar Dunes has some gigantic granite boulders that eons ago tumbled down the south facing slopes. One of them is at least sixty feet tall and split in half to form two ideal smooth slabs for aerial gunning and running. There are untold millions of 50 cal. and 20 mm. brass and steel casings scattered around them. The slabs are pock marked with thousands of hits and the desert sands nearby have so many steel armor piercing projectiles that you would be stunned. We used to camp there regularly until the narcos took over the area.

Also, on that stretch of beach are some really vast beds of natural clay that extinct Indios used to make their big storage pots known as ollas in modern day terms. Above the bank there are dozens of rock heaps and shell middens where they camped, ate sea food, made pottery and fired it up with the abundant Mesquite wood there. Out on the seaside edges of the clay beds where the clay meets the sand is a super good area for the Blue Crabs. If you look closely you will find hundreds of holes in the clay that are the burrows of a type of rock and wood boring clam known a the Piddock. They are quite easy to dig out of the clay with your hunting knife and are a delicious treat to eat. They look like a mini version of the big Horse Dick clams with a very small shell compared to the amount of meat. The tail ends of the shell halves are covered with short spines that resemble a carpenters rasp. The use these to twist and grind away the sides of their burrows as they grow. Those that I've collected there are sometimes up to four inches long and you can't judge the size of the clam by the size of the hole opening as the clam only needs the opening to be large enough to get it's siphons into the water.

When I was a kid in Newport Beach I used to paddle my surf board up to old wood dock pilings and dig them out with a knife. They were much larger than the ones in the Sea of Cortez, sometimes up to six inches long and just three or four would make a delicious meal. Gone are the days.

Later,

JJ
Good info! A mile south a 200 foot plus antennae went up last week.It has wind speed sensors every 50 feet.....maybe this wind farm is real....crap......https://www.youtube.com/embed/-kfNod8KQo8