Saying hello, and asking my gringolandia questions now that I am moving to Rocky Point

Well, it sounds like this part of Mexico is not for me. Thanks for all your advice and help. The main reason for leaving Phoenix is the heat, and I am not moving somewhere worse. Best wishes to you all.
Julie,
A lot of people spend the july, aug and sept in the mountain areas of Arizona. The rest of the year is perfect.

TICO-T

Well, it sounds like this part of Mexico is not for me. Thanks for all your advice and help. The main reason for leaving Phoenix is the heat, and I am not moving somewhere worse. Best wishes to you all.
Julie. look into Costa Rica. The central valley around the capital of San Jose has great weather year round. I lived there for 4 years. My electric bill about $9.00 per/mo. My water bill about $2.00 a month.

mermaid

Julieartist, don't let these people scare you away from checking out Cholla Bay. I'm willing to bet that no one responding to you lives full time in Cholla Bay. There are a handful of us that live here full time even throughout the summer months, unlike the other weekend warriors or so called snow birds. These people who don't live here full time can only report on what other people say or what they read on line, and we all know how truthful that can be. Granted it is hot and humid here in the summer but it is not as bad as Phoenix and besides that there is the beach to cool off in. Most people who live here are out and about playing in the water durring the day and admit that as long as you have a cool house to go to in the evenings then all is good. Most weather stations on line will give a report from Penasco which is always hotter than Cholla. My weather station in Cholla has not read higher than 97 so far this summer. As for electricity, my power bill for the last two months was $2395 pesos or about $150 usd (FOR 2 MONTHS). That is running the AC constant, plus all appliances and electronics. The road to Cholla can get washboard at times but it is never impassable leaving you trapped in Cholla. The road is maintained at least once a week and hundreds of people drive it daily. Before you decide to give up on Cholla make sure you get all the correct facts from people who actually know.

From now on we should refer to this forum as Mermaids forum! Apparently none of the other information given was from others is valid. I wish I had some of this wisdom before I invested down hear, I love it here but it does have it's challenges.

ScreenShot_20160816093858.png
Is this is your weather station? It does get pretty hot in Cholla, 101.5 yesterday.
I like and appreciate that you have a running weather station. :)

Very true that RP town get's about 5-7 degrees warmer than the surrounding areas with the ocean near by.
The Cholla road does get pretty bad, which I heard was awful last Sat/Sun but is fine today.
My buddy had his dash drop into our laps when it was really bad, driving on it 20 years ago.

I'm a part timer but have spent a week -10 days at a time there in the summer when we were building
our house, three different times. I can attest to the fact that July 15 to Sept 15 is pretty tough,
if you don't deal well with the heat and humidity, especially the humidity.
Coming from Phx. which is dry, people are able to sweat and cool off more easily, tough to do in RP
with a dew point in the 70's and 80' most of the time.

I would love to know how you keep you electric bill so low. What temp you keep your house at?

I know my house consumes 40kw per day during the summer and figured my bill would be around $400
for 2 months. That's keeping it 77-78 during the day and 80 a night. We have a small 5k btu window unit
for the bedroom that runs most of the night to keep it at 77.
We have propane for cooking and water heating (which isn't needed in the summer).

The house insulation is decent, have 2 pane windows and a 2 ton mini-split with a seer of 10.5.
Also my house is real close to the water on Pinto point and I know if I drive over to the area by JJ's
the humidity drops off 10-15% which helps a lot.
I love RP and Cholla bay, but I limit my trips in Summer because it takes 6 hours to get the
house cooled down from 95 inside (usually) when we get there to 80 so we can sleep.

When we retire we will become semi full timers spending 1/2 of the year there enjoying it.

Last edited:

mermaid

Granted it does have it's challenges, but that is the same no matter where you choose to live. I just feel that some people were trying to scare JulieArtist off, with comments about being trapped in Cholla because of the road condition and the high cost of electricity.

I would love to find a place to live with 4 great seasons, I probably can't afford it and would have to move too far away from what I have now.

Phx and RP's summer weather is tough to deal with and using A/C is the only way most people can handle it.
(I'm amazed that a lot of the RP locals sleep outside without A/C during summer. (We are so fortunate to have other options)
The electricity can be costly if you like to stay cool. More cool = more cost.

I don't think anyone scared her off, because it seemed like she had never been here in summer (or ever?)
I think she would have been in for a rude surprise with the summer climate. She has said she hates the weather in Phx in summer.
Better to find out before committing and being stuck somewhere she wouldn't like July-Sept.

I PM'd her and suggested that she visit and find out for herself.

When you can't drink water fast enough to replenish what you're sweating out.........PP today....Yuma AZ today.

Someone once said that you gotta suffer to have an really good adventure.

JJ

MIRAMAR

Mermaid. We have a house in Miramar and we go to Penasco about every other week so I do know about the weather. People who have not visited this time may think the beach is cool like San Diego when it isn't. I felt she should know or at least go down to see if she wants to tough it out through the worst months

Last edited:

ron6639

Only good days
Hi, my name is Julie, and I am moving from Phoenix, full time. I am in the process of buying a house-looking that is, and hope to be in by March the latest.
So, I am a vegan, and know there is no such thing as a vegan restaurant down there-but can you get vegan options at a grocery store other than produce-for example Amy's Organics frozen dinners and soy or coconut milk nice cream ?
Do I need to buy this kind of stuff in the states, and bring it in regularly?
Is there a store owned by a gringo-one that would be able to do this for me?
Does Amazon ship to RP?
What fees are paid to the real estate agent as a buyer?
How long does it take to build a small house?
THANKS!
I will no doubt have a thousand more questions...

ron6639

Only good days
Hi, my name is Julie, and I am moving from Phoenix, full time. I am in the process of buying a house-looking that is, and hope to be in by March the latest.
So, I am a vegan, and know there is no such thing as a vegan restaurant down there-but can you get vegan options at a grocery store other than produce-for example Amy's Organics frozen dinners and soy or coconut milk nice cream ?
Do I need to buy this kind of stuff in the states, and bring it in regularly?
Is there a store owned by a gringo-one that would be able to do this for me?
Does Amazon ship to RP?
What fees are paid to the real estate agent as a buyer?
How long does it take to build a small house?
THANKS!
I will no doubt have a thousand more questions...
I have a 2 BR 2 BA home for sale near Playa Bonita area. Also you can buy all types of food at the super market. Probably not a good idea to have things mailed or shipped to RP as they are verrrrry slow. I would make a monthly trip to the states and freeze. If you would like to chat more [email protected]

Well let me say we leave in middle of June and don't go back till the end of October unless you want to stay in your house with the air conditioner on and when you go outside your glasses fog up but what the hell if you love mexico go for it we did it for many years. If you can handle the heat and can afford the electric cost see you at JJ'S in November it is all good and the little houses that Russ has for sell are really cute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Ya done went and scared her off....lol"

Just the facts. If you haven't visited, but expect to live there year round, you need to know the facts.
I have visited a number of times, but haven't been in some time, and know I have come in the summer, but it was many years ago, so don't recall it being as bad-but I was young and the heat didn't bother me as much as it does now.

Julie. look into Costa Rica. The central valley around the capital of San Jose has great weather year round. I lived there for 4 years. My electric bill about $9.00 per/mo. My water bill about $2.00 a month.
I would be too afraid to move to Central America alone. Thanks, though.

I would love to find a place to live with 4 great seasons, I probably can't afford it and would have to move too far away from what I have now.

Phx and RP's summer weather is tough to deal with and using A/C is the only way most people can handle it.
(I'm amazed that a lot of the RP locals sleep outside without A/C during summer. (We are so fortunate to have other options)
The electricity can be costly if you like to stay cool. More cool = more cost.

I don't think anyone scared her off, because it seemed like she had never been here in summer (or ever?)
I think she would have been in for a rude surprise with the summer climate. She has said she hates the weather in Phx in summer.
Better to find out before committing and being stuck somewhere she wouldn't like July-Sept.

I PM'd her and suggested that she visit and find out for herself.
I have been to Rocky Point a number of times, but it has been yrs since I have been there-and I only came for a few days at a time-and I came outside of the worst times the last I recall-so I don't know how I would feel. It is bad for my depression to have to be stuck inside all day, and so I think I would like to move somewhere with decent weather year round-but who can afford that? Hawaii is ideal for me-but way too expensive. San Diego would suffice-same financial problem. Not sure where to go to be honest. Was thinking about Rosarito or Ensenada, but prices are pretty high from what I have seen so far. I feel kinda lost, to be honest. I want this to be my last summer in Phoenix, so I need to figure something out. I hope to get my passport situation together soon, and make it out for a trip during this time of yr to see how bad it would feel to me. Maybe being by the beach would make up for the weather with regards to my depression? Unsure. I hate being stuck inside all day here, I HATE IT. I also hate the cold, so not sure where to go. 70-90 yr round would be ideal-but where is that (affordable)?

Hey Julie...........

Try Bombay Beach, Salton Sea, California. Always sunny, always warm, right on the sandy beach and reeeeely cheap with that highly desirable California zip code.

Nope, let me correct myself, looking out my front window I can see one hu-mung-us 100 mile wide thunderstorm just beatin the hell out of that area as I write.

The notorious "Slabs" are a short walk across the highway and over the railroad tracks. The locals that camp on the slabs always have an open air farmacia where you can get any meds that you desire, and without a scrip! Most of them even speak English!

If you are into seaside wildlife it will be perfect, White Pelicans, several types of gulls, Great Blue Herons and a few Ospreys, kinda like RP. What appears to be white sand on the beach is actually 100% pure crushed barnacles and fish bones. Desert Iguanas and Zebra Tailed Lizards patrol the shoreline for the flies and maggots that have an endless feast on the dead fish and sea birds that made the mistake of swallowing that sparkling sea water.

The Chocolate Mountain Gunnery Range is right there as well. The slab people make a good living sneaking out there to scavenge scrap metal, gotta watch out for the unexploded live ordnance scattered everywhere out there as it might really mess up your day.

Might be worth a look-see........

JJ