Should we move this webpage to a Facebook group?

Do you have/use facebook?

• Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Forums are fairly outdated in this crazy technology world we live in. Most communication groups are moving towards Facebook groups now.

Please take this thread to let us know if you have/use facebook so we can get a better idea if this is a good move for us.

Roberto

I have it and use it some but don't like it. There are a few English language RP groups but they don't seem to have much action. Like The Real Rocky Point. I would prefer to leave it as is. It might increase the AHo## factor. I voted no.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I use FB very often it is a great platform when used correctly and horrible when used to sponsor political ideas...but I would use either platform for Rocky Point conversations.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I've created the group to test the waters for now. An email will go out to all of our members. We have over 3000 members!

I am afraid that the FB RPT will attract the many FB people who can't even tie their own shoes without asking someone how or why or ask for the billionth time "Do I need a passport" ?
So many of the questions you read on the other FB RP pages could be answered if people weren't so lazy as to do a simple search.

And then you see 5 different answers of which 1-2 are correct and then FB hides many comments by stacking them, so they aren't seen so there too are multiple answers.
I could go on and on.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I am afraid that the FB RPT will attract the many FB people who can't even tie their own shoes without asking someone how or why or ask for the billionth time "Do I need a passport" ?
So many of the questions you read on the other FB RP pages could be answered if people weren't so lazy as to do a simple search.

And then you see 5 different answers of which 1-2 are correct and then FB hides many comments by stacking them, so they aren't seen so there too are multiple answers.
I could go on and on.
it's not a perfect platform, it was designed to check out girls in college so it may have lost its way guey!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Why not have both? One could point to the other for more info.

I'm not a Facebook fan for many reasons. I had an account but deleted it about a year ago. Too time consuming, too much drama (over everything), Facebook censors, advertises, and sells the crap out of your data. There are too many of those "that are easily offended" and social justice warrior types on Facebook.

I'd prefer to keep this site, its adult nature, but have no objection to a Facebook offshoot of same.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Over 100 people have joined the facebook group already - sounds like it's going to be a great success.

Roberto

Someone sent me a really hilarious description of a senior trying to understand Facebook. Cannot find it of course but here's a short description, She decided to mirror the Facebook process in her daily life. Greeting strangers in the street and commenting on what she had for breakfast, etc. etc. She routinely asked people to follow her. She said it worked as she had a detective, one police and a mental health worker following her !! Poor description but I hope you get the hilarity.

Tyler, do you have problems or issues with maintaining this site as is???

Roberto

A really great read about how social media works , Facebook's business tactics and moral foundation. Hard to understand why someone worth BILLIONS works to brutally acquire more $$$.
I personally think this whole process of social media growth will implode in some way at some time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2018/09/26/exclusive-whatsapp-cofounder-brian-acton-gives-the-inside-story-on-deletefacebook-and-why-he-left-850-million-behind/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-dozen

audsley

The problem with Facebook is that you see everything. The beauty of a discussion forum is that it segregates subjects so you can ignore what you don't care about, and moderators can toss posts that are out of line or off topic.

There are three or four Facebook groups dedicated to Rocky Point. I recently joined one them just to see what I was missing. The answer is not much, or maybe I just joined the wrong group. Nothing is done on Facebook that couldn't be done here. Also, if you join several groups you'll get a ton of posts and have to scroll through everything and end of missing some unless you're on Facebook all the time. Facebook is now being used for things it was never designed for, and that creates problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.