Shrimp Buying

Roberto

I shudder ever time I drive by one of those streetside shrimp Sales places. Huge white coolers sitting usually in the sun. I have never stopped but should out of curiosity. What temps are maintained in those coolers? How often do the sanitize those coolers? How much ice do they really use afterhours? How do the sales folk wash hands? How long are the shrimp sitting there?
Those and more questions put me off. I used to buy from Cisco at Mary's on the Malecon. The owner, Pancho, buys in bulk and stores them in a frozen locker till he needs them. He uses lots of shimp in the restaurant so they do not sit too long. They used to sell in front of the restaurant but do not any longer.

Hey Roberto.............

No worries about streetside camarones! Ice? We don't need no stinking ice! They are perfectly safe to eat! We keep em soaked in Clorox Bleach! That's why our grande Blues are so white! Even if they were rotto when WE got them they are perfectly safe and sterilized now!

I bought a dozen a few years ago from the two chicks that operate from the three cool-eros grandes blanco under the streetside lean-to on Sinaloa just past the fruiteria Sinaloa, after getting into town too late and too wiped out to deal with the malecon. Got em to the condo and it was then we could smell the bleach. I washed and soaked them for an hour and couldn't get the smell out of them. Finally took em out to the basura barrel cause they were stinking up me casa.

If you ever do feel adventurous enough to risk you life for a ((FRESH)) shrimp dinner off of the roadside vendors in RP do a sniff test of the coolero first. If you get the slightest whiff of chlorine...they're BAD. If you get the even slighter whiff of ammonia...they're potentially DEADLY and expect an all nighter alternating sitting on and hugging the comode then get revived with electrolite iv's at the clinic the next morning. Ah, la sabor de Meh-Ico!!

Last year while making a major ($350.00) shrimp purchase at the big frozen fish store on Sinaloa I was feeling frisky after seeing two really big Spiny Lobster tails in their freezer. I paid way too much for them but the guy assured me that they were fresh from Bahia San Carlos. That should have my first alert, how can they be fresh if they are frozen solid in a zip lock bag? Well, we took em home, put em in a pot of water to thaw out and after an hour realized that they were like a hundred degrees below zero!

After they were finally thawed I split em down the belly to then discover that they had not been properly gutted and their digestive systems were still filled with stinking decaying black poop and infecting the meat with a yellowish taint of foul smelling bile. Of course the odor of ammonia was now engulfing the kitchen. I knew that I had been totally SCREWED and from the looks of them they had probably spent quite some time dead and slow cooked in the sun on an open panga way down there in Guymas. So, they too became residents of the basura barrel out on the street.

Next morning we went back to the fish store to let him know about the ripoff. He said just bring em back and he would replace em. We went back home to the barrel only to find that the aroma of those delicious rotting lobsters was more than the hood dogs could take and they had knocked the can over and devoured them. In fact it looked like they had eaten what they could then rolled in the leftovers to impart an aromatic canine camouflage on themselves as dog do.

So Roberto this is my take on the Camarones del Calle.

JJ

jerry

Fewer than 30 vaquita porpoise are left in Mexico's northern Gulf of California, and experts have said that if the government of Mexico does not enact a permanent ban on the use of all gillnets, the vaquita will be extinct in less than three years. For decades, this tiny cetacean has been killed by entanglement in gillnet fishing gear used to catch shrimp for the US market. More recently, gillnets have also been used illegally to catch totoaba, an endangered fish whose swim bladder is in high demand in Asia.

In 2015, Mexico established a two-year ban on gillnet use within the vaquita's range, but enforcement efforts have failed to stem the precipitous decline in the vaquita population. Illegal fishing vessels, including shrimp boats, continue to ply the waters of the Vaquita Refuge, a no fishing zone. A loophole in the ban permitted some fishers to continue to use gillnets legally, a situation that has served as a cover for additional illegal fishing.

On June 30, 2017, the government of Mexico announced that it was implementing a permanent ban on gillnet fishing in the Upper Gulf of California. There are some positive aspects to the new ban, such as limits on landing sites and the mandatory use of vessel monitoring systems. Unfortunately, the agreed plan expands the gillnet exemption to include an additional fishery and fails to ban the possession, sale and manufacture of gillnets in the region.

The government of Mexico has failed yet againto make a commitment to a complete and permanent ban on all gillnet fisheries in the Upper Gulf of California. Time is running out for the vaquita, and decisive action is needed. Please join the Boycott Mexican Shrimp campaign, and help send the strongest possible message to the Mexican government that it must act now.

SIGN THE PLEDGE

Yo Jerry...........

I'd like to help but I have an addiction............to delicious FRESH WILD CAUGHT SHRIMP! The farm raised crap fed excuse for ((SHRIMP)) that is sold at any supermarket in the FUSA isn't fit for human consumption. If they aren't properly and thoroughly cooked you run the risk of getting a deadly serious exotic strain of Vietnamese E-coli, since they supplement their pellet farm feed with human and animal excrement and that's gotta be tasty!

Last Monday we saw at least forty pangas out of El Golfo de Santa Clara probably there still scooping up the last of the tan jelly fish.

The only message the Mexican government will take note to is when our President orders an immediate halt to all money transfers to Mexico by Mexico's parasite citizens living here in FUSA!

JJ

Official Shrimp season is here.
I just saw a video of a lot of shrimp boats leaving the harbor. Around Oct. 1st, new shrimp harvests should be available. :capt_pbvious:

joester

2 salty dawgs
Sea Products on Sinaloa is the best for shrimp - we always stop on the way in, and sometimes on the way out of town too.
Found the U12's are just as tasty as the U10's - and a couple dollars cheaper too. Still a VERY large shrimp!
And they do last for months and months in the deep freeze - no freezer burn at all, as they are frozen in ice.
excellent!