Spring Break Numbers Up This Year!

gyarbs

Really, I was there this last weekend and it was very dead. Sat at Wrecked it was very slow compared to 3+ yrs ago. I guess if your comparing to last year or so, maybe very slight increase.

El Gato

Well Known Member
We've been watching a lot of people really enjoying the beach. Beautiful out there today. Tide pool water great temperature to check out the little critters. A big boat anchored off shore for awhile. Eyes not good enough to make it out.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
I know that number are up by almost triple for me, I have been back and forth every day since last Friday and the only days I will not be traveling are this coming Friday and Saturday and Sunday I am renting a an extra van to bring the party hardy kids, of course they all sleep like babies all the way back home!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I was told that this past weekend, Friday and Saturday night Manny's had around 30 people and Baja was a little more crowded. Thats about 10% of the Spring Break Hay day when it was Baja to the brim on both floors, Manny's front and back sections completely full, Pink Cadilac full, Senor Frogs, Rocky Gardens and hell even the middle of the street was a crowded party. Sad...

Rocky Point Rides

well, if the US media would have never said that the cartels are killing each other in the beaches of Rocky Point and that americans are being killed in fake check points in highway 8 then the situation will be very different!!! wouldn't you agree?

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I was told that this past weekend, Friday and Saturday night Manny's had around 30 people and Baja was a little more crowded. Thats about 10% of the Spring Break Hay day when it was Baja to the brim on both floors, Manny's front and back sections completely full, Pink Cadilac full, Senor Frogs, Rocky Gardens and hell even the middle of the street was a crowded party. Sad...
Even on non holiday weekends...before the Swine Flu fiasco, the Mirador street was so full that you couldn't drive down it (although many were drinking out of their vehicles on the street)....the police used to come thru at 3am to disperse the crowds....

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Got back to the U.S. yesterday afternoon, MANY more cars coming down than were going the opposite direction on Sunday. I think this will be the much bigger weekend of the two. More families on the beaches of Mirador and Las Conchas than I've seen in years, though the shops, bars and restaurants along the Malecon and Mirador were pretty slow. With the state of the economy (and gas prices!), I guess we have to be happy that people are going down period, but I've found my confidence level and sense of adventure for a 2am-taco-run has gone down considerably, even though I've been visiting for almost 25 years. Just being more cautious these days, treating certain areas along par with sections of downtown Phx or South Tucson.

That said, amazing weather, friendly locals & visitors, and the water was "warm" enough to wade it, yet cool enough to soothe a pair of sunburned legs.

El Gato

Well Known Member
Our Granddaughter is headed down as I type - she is on a Headouttorockypoint van - apparently 2 van loads headed down with ASU students already in the party mode. And, like her grandmother, she managed to sleep through the noise.

gyarbs

No matter the reason, it would be nice to get honest reports about the size of crowds. Last Friday we left mannys about 10 pm with about 5 people total, sat. there was more traffic but didnt bother stopping in. Two three, even 10 van loads is not very much and considering many more "kids" probably opt for a ride nowadays with the bad news rather than drive themselves Im noure that vans are getting used more. Not sure that actually mean bigger crowds. Sucks!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
well, if the US media would have never said that the cartels are killing each other in the beaches of Rocky Point and that americans are being killed in fake check points in highway 8 then the situation will be very different!!! wouldn't you agree?

Ok before this gets blown out, I dont believe anyone ever said there were people being killed at fake checkpoints on highway 8! They did say that fake checkpoints were set up but they never did say anyone was killed. Get your chit straight man!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Ok before this gets blown out, I dont believe anyone ever said there were people being killed at fake checkpoints on highway 8! They did say that fake checkpoints were set up but they never did say anyone was killed. Get your chit straight man!
I would agree that it used to be more crowded and the US media has aided fears, but for you to say its because the media told us people were being killed on highway 8 is a lie. The US media never said anything about people being killed on highway 8, they did report about unknown checkpoints, and those reports were unconfirmed. I agree with you that the crowds are less because of bad media but not to the extent of the hot air coming out of your mouth.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
No matter the reason, it would be nice to get honest reports about the size of crowds. Last Friday we left mannys about 10 pm with about 5 people total, sat. there was more traffic but didnt bother stopping in. Two three, even 10 van loads is not very much and considering many more "kids" probably opt for a ride nowadays with the bad news rather than drive themselves Im noure that vans are getting used more. Not sure that actually mean bigger crowds. Sucks!

AGREE, the rocky point rides person said their business was up this year. Well unfortunately people dont understand variables. Just because you have more van business doesnt directly mean that more people are coming to RP this year or that it is more busy. I cant say this with probability because I dont know but Im assuming that if business seems up on rocky point rides then that means that people are worried about driving themselves so they are taking charters instead.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Beg to differ Mexico Joe about you saying consulate never said anything about shootings. Rocky Point Rides was correct (the Consulate recanted this warning after the news station revealed it was untrue):
Posted May 24, 2010, 10:17 am
Dylan Smith TucsonSentinel.com
The U.S. Consulate in Nogales, Son., has issued a "Warden Message" warning of possible unauthorized checkpoints on Highway 8 between the border and Puerto Peñasco.
"There have been unconfirmed reports that unauthorized checkpoints have been set up by unknown persons at night. Reports from those passing through these checkpoints indicate that the operators of the checkpoint only requested to see identification before allowing them to pass. U.S. Consulate Nogales strongly advises any traveler who must take this route do so during daylight hours," the May 19 message states.
The warning offers tips for travelers who are stopped at an unofficial checkpoint:
1. Do not resist. Cooperate immediately and fully.
2. Stay calm, put up your hands, and comply with demands.
3. If you have a child in the car, immediately alert the checkpoint operators of the child's presence.
At some checkpoints, motorists who have not stopped at unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed.

Again, the Consulate retracted this warning as it was revealed it was untrue about checkpoints on Highway 8 and Penasco.

Last edited:

jerry

Well Known Member
Joe , Eduardo's bread n butter this month are drunk college kids...the van is perfect for them and they fear nothing
AGREE, the rocky point rides person said their business was up this year. Well unfortunately people dont understand variables. Just because you have more van business doesnt directly mean that more people are coming to RP this year or that it is more busy. I cant say this with probability because I dont know but Im assuming that if business seems up on rocky point rides then that means that people are worried about driving themselves so they are taking charters instead.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Beg to differ Mexico Joe about you saying consulate never said anything about shootings. Rocky Point Rides was correct (the Consulate recanted this warning after the news station revealed it was untrue):
Posted May 24, 2010, 10:17 am
Dylan Smith TucsonSentinel.com
The U.S. Consulate in Nogales, Son., has issued a "Warden Message" warning of possible unauthorized checkpoints on Highway 8 between the border and Puerto Peñasco.
"There have been unconfirmed reports that unauthorized checkpoints have been set up by unknown persons at night. Reports from those passing through these checkpoints indicate that the operators of the checkpoint only requested to see identification before allowing them to pass. U.S. Consulate Nogales strongly advises any traveler who must take this route do so during daylight hours," the May 19 message states.
The warning offers tips for travelers who are stopped at an unofficial checkpoint:
1. Do not resist. Cooperate immediately and fully.
2. Stay calm, put up your hands, and comply with demands.
3. If you have a child in the car, immediately alert the checkpoint operators of the child's presence.
At some checkpoints, motorists who have not stopped at unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed.

Again, the Consulate retracted this warning as it was revealed it was untrue about checkpoints on Highway 8 and Penasco.
Those three steps are a general guideline as to what you should do if you encounter a checkpoint in Mexico, not directly related to what you should do if you encounter something on highway 8. They issued a warning followed by steps you should take it you encounter a checkpoint in Mexico, anywhere. They are saying that in Mexico, elsewhere "at some checkpoints, motorists who have not stopped at unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed".

Rocky Point Rides

mexjoe, I don't know if you where around here when this thread came up but here is a link, you can read it and find the specific place where it is mention:
http://www.rockypointtalk.net/showthread.php?2011-Unauthorized-Checkpoints-on-8-to-Rocky-Point/page2

Now, as you can "ASSUME" I have my feces straight and pretty much firm unlike the diarrhea that is spilling out of your pie whole!!

Again, here go, you need to understand your own thought and set them straight, me saying that I have triple the business that I had last year's Spring Break does not mean there are more people in Rocky Point, you are "a$$ U ming" I am saying what you are thinking, as you said before I think is time for you to go to bed and yank yourself

Last edited: