Swimming in Rocky Point

The shark thing is interesting; but since Great Whites and the like prefer deep, cold water, I would consider the shallow, warm near-coastline of south beaches (for example) to be very swim-friendly, and have been successfully testing that theory for over 20 years . . . all appendages still in tact.
and I never got hit by a ray for 30 years, Just saying

Landshark

Its amazing how fast they can travel.:p
They are here...
"Discovery Channel's Shark Week episode tracked a HUGE female great white for 18 months trying find previously unknown "pupping" grounds...some thought Santa Monica Bay (already a confirmed "pupping ground" and behold...she swims into the death trap that is the unregulated fishing grounds of the Sea of Cortez. They lose track of her in the final weeks of the pregnancy, then get some pings in the northern end of the Sea at San Felipe where she drops her 6 foot pups and safely exits the southern tip and into the Pacific headed back to Isla Guadalupe."

Here is a 20' / 2000 lb great white caught at Guaymas. Thankfully for these guys it was already dead.

Great White Guaymas (Small).jpg

sjthrush

Years ago a diving instructor with two students diving off of Sandy Beach was circled by a Great White in 45 feet of water. Was more curious than aggressive.

ernesto

We used to dive the island often with the Lobos Del Mar group from San Jorge. Lars, the divemaster dove there daily for years. He told me he never saw a shark out at the island. Also said he saw some fishermen haul in a 15 foot great white at La Pinta. His theory was they're out in the deeper water south of the island. Never knew anyone that saw a shark near shore in PP.

Ah, the good old times...

Bahia San Francisquito used to be one of my favorite spots for a midwinter week or two camp out. There is a small navy base in the bay now so the shark killers don't operate from there any longer. Even up to my last trip there in 2008 there was still some serious killing going on a few miles south at Rancho Barrill. I've got photos of thousands of shark fins strung up drying in the sun along that beach. I saw them bring in dozens of pregnant female sharks that they cut open on the beach to pull out the 14" long still living babies to chop the tails and fins off of as well.

JJ