the bite was on for july 10th

ReelHard

grouper slayer
We launched out of safe marina and had a brainstorm of an idea. or maybe it was just a case of stupidity. Lets go to the 51. Well lets just say it was a bit windy to say the least. off we went the ride out was not bad at all. we had to anchor up for the drift was moving us at 2.7mph. After we got set it was still hard to hold the bottom with 24oz. of weight. my 1st drop was an instant hook up with a large leopard grouper at 17lbs. Not long after that i managed to land a nice pinto at 28 lbs. then the dorado showed up. there were loads of them around the boat. so dave scott and i scramble to change our rigs. We kept 2 a piece because that is our limit. and released about a dozen more. then decided to pound the bottom some more. Dave caught a nice red snapper and wsb along with scott landing a wsb, and i got a few in the boat also. then dave caught a little bonita that put up a great fight for its size. the bite slowed so we decided to pull anchor and make a few drifts. Well that truly was a chore. the tide was ripping and the wind was blowing about 15 to 20. and the anchor was hung solid. We finally got it out after yelling and cursing. it took all that motor had to pull it free. we made a few drifts and I managed to land another nice leopard grouper at 20 lbs. we then decided to head home. needless to say we were soaked by the time we got back to the dock. But we had some good laughs and a great time. but i think we wont try that again until the winter months when the seas are more predictable.

Attachments

Kenny

Stuart going to **** when he sees this! The 51 is not supposed to be that good this time of year, and he's proved it time and time again..LOL What's a little water in the face this time of year anyway....The skipjack I caught out there was a kick, and I didn't have a clue what was hauling buns like that until he was all the way up.
Sounds like it was a fun trip; good job!

H

hammer scuba

nice catch. 51 is a long spooky way out there kick ass place . good job

Nice catch Doug... AZ ROB his wife Michelle their friend Chris and I were on the "About Time" and we saw you guys coming back in... just after you stopped behind us and we pulled in a 50lb. Gulf grouper and earlier we got a 15 lb. leopard grouper... it was pretty rough out there, I can imagine how you guys felt on the way back in, man you looked almost airborn on a couple of those big breakers... good job...

this is what we caught...

[video=youtube;xCzAOLXmu60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCzAOLXmu60[/video]

Shawno

Doug - Thanks for posting the report and photos. I'm working at the New Kabul Compound in Kabul for another week before returning to Abu Dhabi. I had some baked trout for dinner the other night. That's the closest I've been to fishing since early May. I'm glad to see you guys are still doing what you love and catching quality fish. I love the mixed bag potential at the 51, but it's really hard to fish when the drift is fast. Good job!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice catch all the way around! You kept those little peanut dorado? I take it they were schoolies that were hanging around the boat? You boys need to try some trolling for the bigger models! I plan on doing it this weekend if Buoyweather looks at all decent. Did you see any sargasso or weed lines on your way out to the 51? I need to get the dust off my outriggers and do some serious trolling!! Plan to head south towards Lobos and look for some good blue water. By the way - that skipjack makes EXCELLENT bait! I like to slice the belly strips out of them and use those. Heck, you could rig that thing and drop it whole for big fish, too. Those things can be so thick when you're trolling out there that you can't make it 20 yds. without another one hooking up. We've had them be real pests. Fun to catch on the light gear!

Great job, Doug and Scott and Dave everytime I think about going the weather changes my mind, might try it this weekend lets see what bouyweather has to say

ReelHard

grouper slayer
damn rite we kept them. there was alot of sargasso grass but only in small patches. there was no real weedline anywhere out there. my guess the tide and wind being so strong they could not clump together. We were not not targeting dorado that was just a bonus catch. I have done my fair share of trolling when i lived in Fl. and have caught plenty of dorado in the 30 and 40lbs. range and alot of sails also.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Awesome report... you guys are like the US Postal Service of Rocky Point fishing:

"Neither rain, nor wind, nor soaking wet clothes shall keep us from loading the fish boxes..."

I've got Monday the 19th off work, so I'm watching bouyweather and rubbing my rabbit's foot like crazy hoping for good weather next weekend. The tides look pretty good for the drift next week.

F

frankthediver

Going down Tomorrow (7/15) looking to hook up with someone to fish and possibly snorkel with. Mama wants to stay dry so need to find a buddy.
HELP!!!!!!!!