The Malecon on weekends.....

Saw this in Rosy's online paper....it's about time....the malecon was becoming like the Mirador on weekend nights.....with all the drinking on the street by the teenagers....

City reclaims Malecon for benefit of businesses, families, tourists

In an effort to curtail the street drinking, the gathering of groups of bandas and the generally uncontrolled activities of young groups of persons on the Malecon on weekends, the City of Puerto Penasco has set up a check point at the LaPaLaPa corner.
This check point will begin at 8 pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday on non-holiday weekends. This is for the safety and ease of access for all business patrons and visitors to the city.

Tourists will now find plenty of parking and a more secure environment. Anyone who is going to a business beyond the checkpoint can simply tell the officer and there should be no problem.

“We hope everyone will be encouraged and find this a positive move by the city to help our businesses. In time, the element the city is trying to deter, will no longer visit the Malecon and we are hopeful the area will experience rejuvenation” said Cathi Boyle, co-owner of the Thirsty Parrot.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I had heard this first hand from a local when I was down two weeks ago. He said it had to do with changes after the election - the new politicians aren't putting up with the Malecon being "party central" anymore on weekends.

A

AZ Miguel

the new politicians aren't putting up with the Malecon being "party central" anymore on weekends.
And just what do they expect the US tourists to do when they go to the Malecon, prayer meetings?, buy cheap crap from China? I go to Mexico for one reason, to let my hear down and unwind from the US side. If I can't do it there at midnight then I'm sure other locations will welcome my money I throw at them. Hell I can still walk down town Las Vegas with a beer and R.P. is going to look down on it? :deadhorse:Why kick yourself in the nads when for generations this entertainment has been the standard.

Kenny

And just what do they expect the US tourists to do when they go to the Malecon, prayer meetings?, buy cheap crap from China? I go to Mexico for one reason, to let my hear down and unwind from the US side. If I can't do it there at midnight then I'm sure other locations will welcome my money I throw at them. Hell I can still walk down town Las Vegas with a beer and R.P. is going to look down on it? :deadhorse:Why kick yourself in the nads when for generations this entertainment has been the standard.
If you fit this profile. "the gathering of groups of bandas and the generally uncontrolled activities of young groups of persons on the Malecon on weekends",. I guess you'll have a problem, but otherwise it's not a problem for tourist's. You are a tourist, right?

Kenny

This is directed at the bunches of teens hanging out, drinking out of the backs of their vehicles, getting into fights, etc....just like down on the Mirador....I don't think it's directed at tourists like you (or me)....or even local families that want to spend the evening on the malecon....

Holy crap, I wrote the thing in English and it still requires two interpreters to explain to AZ Miguel? AZM, you remind me of Rosanne Rosanna Dana when she'd go off on a tangent only to find that she had misunderstood to begin with...Geez...

A

AZ Miguel

I stand corrected. In the spirit of Rosanne Rosanna Dana, Never mind :)

Roberto

The worst part of the gatherings to me was the pervasive smell of stale urine in that area. Reminded me of Times Square NYC.