The Police in Sonoita are out of control!

richwi

Well Known Member
We live here full time and over the past year we have gone back and forth to Arizona at least twice per month. In the past 12 months we have been pulled over a total of 0 times. My personal opinion is that the cops in Sonoyta have plenty of people to pull over who actually were speeding to bother with those who aren't. They definitely shake down folks for mordida, but I honestly believe a vast majority were actually speeding or didn;t come to a complete stop etc. Yesterday we went back to Phx for Covid shots and on the way back here we saw 3 cars pulled over in Sonoyta and all 3 were Mexican plated cars, so it's not only tourists who get stopped. We have a dash cam on just in case but we also never speed or fail to come to a complete stop etc.

In the US all of us are used to speeding without consequence. How many times have you heard things like "you can go 5 mph over without getting a ticket" etc. I feel the cops in Sonoyta take advantage of our habits and supplement their income. When I go 40kph at busy times I inevitably have a line of Arizona plated cars lined up behind me. I can't help but think they'd be going over 40kph if i weren't in their way.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Our friends came down to stay with us and had a Sonoyta Policia follow them on their bumper from the 1st street south of the entry until after they turned off calle Septemibre back onto 8 again at 10:30am today.
They locked the cruise at 22mph and at the 3 stop signs they stopped did a 5 count. Finally the Policia turned to find an easier mark.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Our friends came down to stay with us and had a Sonoyta Policia follow them on their bumper from the 1st street south of the entry until after they turned off calle Septemibre back onto 8 again at 10:30am today.
They locked the cruise at 22mph and at the 3 stop signs they stopped did a 5 count. Finally the Policia turned to find an easier mark.
Hmm, sounds like they obeyed the law and didn't get stopped or cited. Imagine that concept......

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hmm, sounds like they obeyed the law and didn't get stopped or cited. Imagine that concept......
Dude STFU you're such a troll! You and Joan C are the only two people on the forum that can't understand that the police are not the good guys and regularly pressure and or down right violate people on false pretense. You think I speed through Sonoyta?! I go 18 miles per hour. I've been playing the game well for over 12 years and still have been pulled over for no reason.

But that's typical for you because life is so black and white, cut and dry. Everything for you is, well if you were doing what you were supposed to have been doing you wouldn't have been pulled over. Obviously it doesn't work like that.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
A friend this past weekend was pulled over or stopping at a speed bump. Not only are the police 100% corrupt thet are asking for $180 for a speeding fine-much higher than many speeding fines in the states.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
A friend this past weekend was pulled over or stopping at a speed bump. Not only are the police 100% corrupt thet are asking for $180 for a speeding fine-much higher than many speeding fines in the states.
$180 for a non moving infraction seems about right... What a joke!!! You're seriously telling me that Kiko Munro doesn't care about this? The OPTICS alone are bad. He's in politics. Optics are everything. I would think that the OSV or whatever the tourism department in Penasco is called would certainly care. If there is a threat to the overall economic wellbeing of Penasco I would assume they would want to address those concerns. This gets taken care of through politics and back door deals. Maybe Sonoyta needs a percentage of the bed tax. I don't know but obviously the police have the cartel blessing to do what they're doing and the second obvious point is that the government is controlled by the cartel so naturally that is why we're at a standstill here and nothing will likely be done.

Just for craps and giggles, how much money do you think they pull in, in a day/week? I think it's completely realistic for them to pull over 5-8 cars a day maybe more on weekends... $150-180 per vehicle... They could be making $1k/day...

Way too much incentive to stop.

Anyways, in case "they" read this forum I won't say what day but in the very NEAR future we are bringing 4 N3WBS down, 2 of which have never been to Mexico and one of those watches way too much Fox News and thinks she is going to die. So in saying that, I'd really like to avoid any unnecessary BULLSHIT including but not limited to POLICE HARASSMENT in Sonoyta. If that happens I'm afraid this girl is going to break down into hysteria.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Our friends who came down on Sat, went home Monday, arrived in Sonoyta at 12:30 did the 23mph crawl without any problems.
10 min wait to cross into the US. We have 3 of our kid's coming down on Friday we'll see how that works out, but they know the drill.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
My theory is that every reasonable impression in this thread is accurate. My favorite times to go through Sonyota is when it’s really busy and there are volunteer idiots flying through and drawing all the attention. When no one is around I crawl extra slowly and have the video running on my phone.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
100% corrupt huh? You have ZERO credibility just by that statement alone. You almost as bad as the joe nutbag.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Dude STFU you're such a troll! You and Joan C are the only two people on the forum that can't understand that the police are not the good guys and regularly pressure and or down right violate people on false pretense. You think I speed through Sonoyta?! I go 18 miles per hour. I've been playing the game well for over 12 years and still have been pulled over for no reason.

But that's typical for you because life is so black and white, cut and dry. Everything for you is, well if you were doing what you were supposed to have been doing you wouldn't have been pulled over. Obviously it doesn't work like that.
blah blah blah
Is that angry joe raging again?

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Our friends who came down on Sat, went home Monday, arrived in Sonoyta at 12:30 did the 23mph crawl without any problems.
10 min wait to cross into the US. We have 3 of our kid's coming down on Friday we'll see how that works out, but they know the drill.
Wait, they obeyed the law and didn't get stopped? Say it isn't so joe................

rplarry

Well Known Member
100% corrupt huh? You have ZERO credibility just by that statement alone. You almost as bad as the joe nutbag.
Here comes flamethrower Queen again.

You are the one with zero credibility. As in nada

The police are corrupt whether you flame throw or not. And IF you actually drive thru Sonoyta on a regular basis and IF you got a ticket, you would never post about it anyway.

You have nada for credibility Queen of Flamethrowers

PNW Marc

Folks who speak in absolute terms tend to have minimal credibility so you're correct. Unfortunately, you seem to fall into that category as well. Your posts in this thread infer that there is 0% corruption. Just drive the speed limit and you'll be fine is your typical refrain. Clearly that's not the case.

You're effectively calling a lot folks on this forum a liar. Or you're calling people they trust liars. Odd why you'd choose to join a community, informal as it is, only to try and discredit everyone. Sure I'd imagine some people aren't owning up to their mistakes, but you're dismissing most everyone.

What's interesting is that with your own words you're supporting the rampant corruption narrative. You said earlier that whenever you drive through town you go nice and slow while others are riding your ass. Some of those folks behind you are locals. They're tailgating you because they know that it's not them the cops are targeting. If they can speed with impunity because the cops are targeting out-of-towners that's sorta textbook corruption. Locals zooming around is a recurring theme in a lot of the stories here. It happens in the States too but based on the anecdotal evidence from this community, it's a significant issue in Sonoyta.

Again you can trust in people or you can go through life the much sadder route.

ultraron

We just came thru Sonoyta pulling the boat without any issues doing the crawl as many times before. But as we got to the first stop sign the Arizona ass the was tailgating us flew by us as we were sitting still. Did not see him again but if he got stopped Im sure they were picking on him. ??

ernesto

Well Known Member
Rocky Point Times newspaper has an editorial on this issue in the March edition. Apparently you can stop completely at a 4 way in Sonoyta but if you don't wait for cross traffic to COMPLETELY clear the intersection before you move forward, you get a big fat fine. And where else is that the protocol?These fines are not as much about creating safe driving conditions as they are about generating mordida.