This doesn't help tourism!

OurForever

In 1977 a fully formed deadly hurricane tore north up the Sea of Cortez and didn't crap out until reaching Desert Hot Springs California. I was living in a desert house north of Indio California. It was late October and I was just packing up my gear for a five year tour in Iran. The torrential rains caused flash floods that took out almost every road in or out of the Coachella Valley. Boulders the size of houses rolled down the canyons on the sides of the Santa Rosa Mountains. Dozens of big bucks homes in Palm Springs, La Quinta and Cathedral City were crushed by the boulders and others filled to the roofs with sand and mud. The normally dry sand and rock Whitewater River developed into a record breaking flash flood that took out dozens of homes and golf course buildings from Palm Springs down to Indio. Every road that crossed it was washed out for weeks.

As I recall the water level of the Salton Sea was raised by four feet or more inundating every dock and marina for years afterward. Dillon Road north of Indio was washed out in at least twenty dips and culverts some of the drop offs were fifteen feet deep. Those raging flash flooded gullies destroyed the Los Angeles Aqueduct in a dozen places actually ripping the fifteen foot diameter concrete pipes out of their rock bound structure.

The shack that we lived in was just a few hundred feet off of Dillon Road. The winds blew out almost every window glass. The shearing wind and rain blew like hell northwards for several hours then the eye of the hurricane passed over us with an eerie dead still for and hour or more. Then the wind and rain resumed blasting southwards for several more hours.

We had no electricity for more than a week, luckily we had a five hundred gallon water tank on stilts that we survived on. I had two vehicles, a Volvo hot rod sedan and a Toyota Landcruizer. We were able to poke our way overland in the Landcruizer to get supplies in Indio. Interstate 8 was washed out in many places from Plaster City west to Jacumba. The traffic was routed through Mexicali BC then to Ensenada BC then back to San Diego.

By the way, this was not the 1000 year flood as being pitched by the media right now relating to the Death Valley rains. A storm like that could occur during any monsoon season especially if the hurricane gets itself into the Sea of Cortez with 90 degree water temps and 90% humidity which are ideal conditions for a killer storm to develop.

In 1977 Penasco was just a tiny fishing village probably not even one multi story shack in town. One can only imagine the devastation when such a storm like that comes barreling through...........and IT WILL mark my words!

"You can't fool Mother Nature"

JJ

JJ, I hope to share a cold beverage with you. Your stories are intriguing.

Tmecke

Forum Supporter
I remember a Hurricane hitting PP in the late 60s when I was 4 or 5. We had a trailer about 200' north of the old Playa Hermosa concrete steps. I can remember it happening at night and seeing all the flood damage the nest morning. I also remember the trailer rocking back and forth for awhile.
WOULD LIKE TO POST SOME PHOTOS OF THE OLD BLUE TRAILER!!!

SunDevil

Well Known Member
So 45 years ago. Could be another 45 before another one comes north UP the sea of Cortez. Could be a year. A couple years ago a hurricane hit Baja and came east. By the time it hit the main land it was a tropical storm. Was still a mess but not nearly as bad as what a hurricane would do.

Cat V hurricane hit San Carlos in 2009

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
After going over my journal I find myself one year and two months off on the hurricane story, oh well an old gleep is allowed some slack I hope.

It was hurricane Kathleen, August 1976. Another hit the same areas in September 1977. I missed that as I was in The filthiest shit hole on earth known as Tehran Iran. My wife had just been attacked and bitten by a rabid dog and had to be evacuated back to the USA for treatment.

Another long story.

JJ

GEEKMEISTER

A short rant about my real estate nightmare.

My family has been coming to mexico for years, renting vrbos on beaches from encanto to miramar. all wonderful trips. 2 years ago, we took our retirement savings and jumped at the chance to chase a long time dream to buy a beachfront property. Using an experienced local realtor, we made an offer on a beachfront home that needed some TLC to bring it back to its former glory. Our realtor used an experienced real estate attorney to close the sale... Everything was completed as required by current Mexico law, specifically the transaction included each of the following components

Trustee Bank
Fideicomiso
Escritura
Public Registry number:
Special Trustee Representative:
Fideicomiso Beneficiary:

These are all notarized, stamped, recorded and filed.

a few weeks after completing the sale, a local contractor that I know began some plumbing and roofing repairs. He called to say he was being blocked out on the main road at a guard shack by a local person. This is when I first heard of Omar Saenz. In addition to blocking me, my contractor, and our realtor, He gathered any signs our realtor had on other properties and threw them out in the desert. Assuming this must be a simple misunderstanding, I reached out to our realtor to clear it up. A few days later, I received a call from Omar asking to meet. I live northeast of Tucson. We agreed to meet in Benson Az. At this meeting, Omar and his brother informed me and my wife that if we wanted access to our property, he would sell it to us for $100,000 us dollars. Confused, we explained we had just bought it and that our bank trust has the title, we are the beneficiaries through our LLC, to which he stated that he owns the entire beach, and no sales are valid unless he approves them.
Walking away from this meeting confused, thinking either we were duped in the sale or trying to be duped by Omar. I hired a separate attorney to independently review the entire history of the property and deed. After several thousands of dollars, all records confirmed that everything was done correctly. This was in the summer/fall of 2019. These findings were taken to city hall and the administration at the time, declined to intervene to help me access my property. My materials disappeared from the home and no work could proceed as we are still physically being blocked from accessing the property. Now Omar is head of the tourism department in RP
I have come to discover that there are many active lawsuits against Omar Saenz for similar behavior... All slowly dragging along through the courts.
Approx 2 weeks ago, Omar saenz demolished my house to the ground! completely destroyed. My retirement savings hauled away in a dump truck. And to find out that the new mayor appointed this guy as head of tourism?!! Seems too ridiculous to believe. It's beyond brazen...I know quite a few people that were looking at property/ condos and houses in rocky point. My experience has them all putting this on hold. My friends and I take a lot of hard earned dollars to the restaurants and shops and tradesmen of rocky point, and its the citizens of RP that lose out when the city lets things like this go unanswered.

Maybe someone has some advice...thoughts...can commiserate.
Otherwise, thanks for giving me a few minutes to vent
Sorry for your problems and thank you for sharing. My dreams of living in RP are done. Looks like Punta Gorda Fl. is it!

Old55

Well Known Member
So 45 years ago. Could be another 45 before another one comes north UP the sea of Cortez. Could be a year. A couple years ago a hurricane hit Baja and came east. By the time it hit the main land it was a tropical storm. Was still a mess but not nearly as bad as what a hurricane would do.

Cat V hurricane hit San Carlos in 2009
Sun devil, those back to back oct 18 storms could have been way worse…we were lucky