Tragedy in Bahia La Choya.

playaperro

El Pirata
By: Silvano Galicia War
ROCKY POINT, ARE.

Ended in tragedy for a Sunday stroll in Bahia La Choya, a dinghy capsized when a well known family members walked into the bay aboard a light boat (panga) when it turned to be about 400 meters from the seashore, dying choked the girl of 2 years old Syrian Azucena Miranda Saavedra.
According to information provided by the authorities, at approximately three-thirty in the afternoon of Sunday 22 April, received call in the C-4 in which gave notice that a boat had capsized in La Choya Bay, in the call requesting the presence of fire, red cross, rescue workers and Navy of Mexico, since that panga was approached by many people, all struggling get out of the water.
According to witnesses of the facts, and some who walked on board the wreck, who was leading Villa Raul Leon, who she began to swim back to shore, noted that the panga, the girl was stuck, so they returned, the bank rescued still alive, so immediately, and with the authorization of the unfortunate father, Victor Manuel Leon, moved aboard his vehicle at a clinic city, when the red cross ambulance paramedic in command Luis Castro Careaga, caught him, being transshipped to the ambulance, still alive, leading to a private clinic, only the doctor who declared it was lifeless.
In the scene showed police officers the city and state where they took the statements of those who were protagonists of this unfortunate tragedy, there was learned that the ship is considered as the light boat (panga) of 16 feet length (L) and 6 feet wide (W), which was addressed by 19 people, this was the first causal shipwreck, had only 6 lifeguards, another detail is that the boat has no registration number, not a name to identify formally added to the dinghy towing a "Banana" and make a turn, the crew was "loaded to one side, which made ​​the dinghy capsized, leaving to swim most of the walkers.
The facts were reported to Mr. Jesus Alberto Figueroa Ocampo, head of the ministerial agency of this city, who was accompanied by the agent Mauricio Lopez Mendoza, expert attached to the PGJE criminologist who testified to the facts and ordered the transfer of the body the funeral autopsy will turn to law, and the subsequent delivery to their families for funeral services.

I heard about this the other day from Adolfo... he said they we near by on the About Time and saw it happen... truly a tragedy... I can't understand why people think they can put 19 people on a boat made to hold 6 and because of this a two year old girl is dead...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
ooof. very sad.

Last week while coming back into port I had one of the banana boat guys pulling about 10 kids run straight at my boat, and turn into the wake when he was literally only 40 feet away.... idiots.

On the topic of Banana Boats

A couple years ago after doing some freediving & spearfishing with my hawiian sling down by whale hill from my kayak on the way back to the port I stopped to watch the sunset from in front of the Penasco del Sol Hotel... as I was sitting there a banana boat went past and one of the passengers fell off... no biggie right..? well the banana boat kept going the boat pilot never even turned around to check his riders...

I saw the passenger who had fallen off start waving his arms in the air and everytime he did he would begin to slip out of the life vest he was wearing because it was to big for him... I imimmediately paddled out to the young boy who was too far away to begin swimming for shore... when I reached him I saw that he was in panic mode and remembered from my boyscout lifesaving days and also being a rescue diver I knew I had to get him calmed down or knock him out to rescue him...

In order to calm him down I tried to get his attention and asked him if he wanted a ride back to shore... well it worked and he began to calm down, but then to try and calm him down further I thought of trying a little humor and said I'd do it for 20 pesos... Ooops he went back into major panic mode and this time he grabbed on to my kayak and flipped it and me as well as my sling and the two sardineros I had shot into the water...

I righted my yak and got him on it then got on myself onboard (I use a ocean kayak malibu 2+2 with seating for 3) and paddled us back to the beach where his trip had originated... by the time we got there the banana boat had returned and I asked the boat operater for 50 pesos because I had to give one of his passengers a ride back to shore... he just looked at me with a clueless expression on his face as the kid I rescued was screaming at him...

a couple days later the story of my rescue got around at la bajada (public ramp) and it turns out one of the hooka clam divers had found my sling and said he would sell it back to me for $50.US... I just laughed and told him maybe the kid that I rescued would pay him for it but I wouldn't... end of story...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I heard about this the other day from Adolfo... he said they we near by on the About Time and saw it happen... truly a tragedy... I can't understand why people think they can put 19 people on a boat made to hold 6 and because of this a two year old girl is dead...

They think they can because they are uneducated!!!! Isnt this the underlying issue in Mexico; lack of education?!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Tragedy waiting to happen. Saw four kids on a tiny lake paddle boat meant for 2 people at most at the entrance to the harbor, right by the cruise ship wreck coming back in Sat. I slowed way down, afraid my wake was going to swamp them. A) Shouldn't have been so many of them on this tiny floating piece of plastic (should say barely floating). B) Stay in the harbor, the water was pretty rough with a strong breeze even in the harbor on Sat. evening. It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, right?

azfish

I have no respect for those banana boat drivers, one of them almost took out some of our beach dive group. Yes we had flags up, and it seemed like they were aiming for the flags. I would never let my kids ever go on them. Seadweller, that kid was lucky you were there. You were his guardian angel that day. That scum bag who found your spear, hope he sits on it and takes it all the way up.

Tragedy waiting to happen. Saw four kids on a tiny lake paddle boat meant for 2 people at most at the entrance to the harbor, right by the cruise ship wreck coming back in Sat. I slowed way down, afraid my wake was going to swamp them. A) Shouldn't have been so many of them on this tiny floating piece of plastic (should say barely floating). B) Stay in the harbor, the water was pretty rough with a strong breeze even in the harbor on Sat. evening. It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, right?
I do a lot of kayaking and the banana boat deal wasn't the only rescue I was involved with and more or less in the same area... one day while heading out the wind was blowing and the waves were picking up and if you've seen any of my kayaking or swimming videos this is the type of water I like to play in... as I was paddling out of port I noticed several of the pangas that were returning to port, slow down and someone on the panga lean over the port side and looked to be shouting at a pink object in the water...

Being curious I paddled over to that area and found a young boy struggling to swim across the mouth of the port to join his friends over by the Navy base... this boy was wearing one of those pink long balloons that clowns use to make balloon animals tied around him for a floatation device and he was struggling to fight the wind current that was blowing him out of port...

I just said get on my kayak and this little guy popped out of the water like a mullet and onto the back of my kayak... I couldn't believe that the commercial panga fishermen didn't pull this boy out of the water they just shouted at him... and I agree with Joe it is all about education or the lack of...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
They think they can because they are uneducated!!!! Isnt this the underlying issue in Mexico; lack of education?!
Uneducated...? I don't know.

I don't see where education is the fundamental key to understanding the concept of self-preservation. I would be willing to bet that at least one person who got on that panga probably had the nervous feeling that they were taking an awful risk...

and they were right.

I was down at Pelican Point and the boat was a small tri-hull runabout with a canopy on top. Not even close to being a panga. I was suprized to heard how many people were on board.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Uneducated...? I don't know.

I don't see where education is the fundamental key to understanding the concept of self-preservation. I would be willing to bet that at least one person who got on that panga probably had the nervous feeling that they were taking an awful risk...

and they were right.
Lack of formal or informal education. I dont necessarily mean formal education like schooling however that is an issue too but rather informal education that one learns from lets say a parent figure. Growing up as a kid you learn things from people around you especially adults. I've never tried to go boating on a 12 foot boat with 19 people on board. Ive never been out to the lakes here in Phoenix or the oceans in Cali and Mexico with family and had 19 people on a boat, "prolly" because all of us were educated enough to understand that's not a good idea. Obviously I understand that certain boats have certain weight capacity limits. My kayak can hold 400 lbs but that wouldnt stop a Mexican family from putting 8 people on it! Maybe Im completely wrong in my assumption maybe it's just a CULTURAL DIFFERENCE...

azfish

My kayak can hold 400 lbs but that wouldnt stop a Mexican family from putting 8 people on it! Maybe Im completely wrong in my assumption maybe it's just a CULTURAL DIFFERENCE...

8 would go on, because the weight limit tag is in english.

jerry

I think it's more of a group dynamic thing rather than the superior intelligence of Arizonans (Jesus...Jan Brewer is our Governor..and high school drop out rightwing crazy rich kid Jesse Kelly just easily beat the ex head of NATO Air arm ,Harvard Grad Martha McSally in the primary for Giffords seat. Martha McSally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Martha is well, Awesome and Arizona voters???? they keep piling in the right wing boat to nowhere

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Lack of formal or informal education. I dont necessarily mean formal education like schooling however that is an issue too but rather informal education that one learns from lets say a parent figure. Growing up as a kid you learn things from people around you especially adults. I've never tried to go boating on a 12 foot boat with 19 people on board. Ive never been out to the lakes here in Phoenix or the oceans in Cali and Mexico with family and had 19 people on a boat, "prolly" because all of us were educated enough to understand that's not a good idea. Obviously I understand that certain boats have certain weight capacity limits. My kayak can hold 400 lbs but that wouldnt stop a Mexican family from putting 8 people on it! Maybe Im completely wrong in my assumption maybe it's just a CULTURAL DIFFERENCE...
No, I think you are on the right track...

I've never failed to marvel at the power of groups to overwhelm the better judegement of the few who should probably be listened too. Similarly, Peer pressure causes FAR more teen casualties than it should. I think it is a similar dynamic.

I've said it before- common sense, it seems, is not so common after all.

The unfortunate flip-side to this is that if we let the "few" who have common sense begin to make all the decisions for the "many" who are too stupid to step off the railroad tracks when they hear that horn blast behind them, then we end up in a dangerous place where elitists begin thinking that they are morally justified in imposing their will and judgement upon others (right, Jerry?)

Thinking for one's self pays enormous dividends, but only if you have the discipline to pay attention.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
high school drop out rightwing crazy rich kid Jesse Kelly just easily beat the ex head of NATO Air arm ,Harvard Grad Martha McSally in the primary for Giffords seat.

is Jesse a relative of yours?

THAT would be an interesting family reunion dinner to attend.... :)

jerry

People especially religious people are sheep.A member of the religious cult next to my ranch either murdered or watched her husband die of starvation in a cave above the 20 retreat cabins the 37 other religious nuts are occupying for 3 years last Sunday.The group all works together to hide how crazy they are all becoming...why? same reason the Catholic Church hid the priest child molester explosion...they are taught from an early age not to question the man ...

Roberto

Well, if you take a Darwinian approach, it's all good. Having mucked around in the sea of slime that is a part of humankind it's not surprising and there is absolutely nothing you as an individual can do about it but yack. I'm at a point where I feel like a pervert just reading about someone else's pain and trajedy. Yes, yes I know many are innocents.

people especially religious people are sheep.a member of the religious cult next to my ranch either murdered or watched her husband die of starvation in a cave above the 20 retreat cabins the 37 other religious nuts are occupying for 3 years last sunday.the group all works together to hide how crazy they are all becoming...why? Same reason the catholic church hid the priest child molester explosion...they are taught from an early age not to question the man ...
and jerry you're perfect right..?