Veteran's Day

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
God Bless our veterans - It's not just our holiday. As a Marine, my son fought alongside Mexican nationals (and others) who also put their lives in danger for our country. Let's remember and thank them ALL for our freedoms!
:usa::mexico:

:notworthy::usa: Thank You to all our Veterans :mexico: :notworthy:

Remember; It was the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It
was the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It was the Veteran, not
the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial. It was the Veteran, not the campus
organizer, who has given us the right to demonstrate.

Remember; It is the Veteran who salutes the flag Who served under the flag Whose coffin is
draped by the flag Who allows the protester to burn the flag...
Father Dennis O'Brien USMC

David Letterman - Marines Top Ten List

Last edited:
A

azbeachboy

In Honor of the Veteran

You may have seen this, but many haven't. You can make that possible. Read on.

In Honor of the Veteran

In Honor of the Veteran

I think of your valor
Being willing to take a stand for liberty
I am speechless
In light of your bravery
I know your type
Is not charmed by show-offs in the ranks
Nonetheless
Please lower your guard for a moment
And hear a grateful nation's thanks

It's not the battles you fight. It's signing the line, saying you will.​

Jack Richards
copyright 2008
[email protected]

Please forward this, to a veteran, and Fox News.

Developed into a card; once I find a national distributor, I'll share profits, with veteran's health-care. (408) 881-2644

See it. My site is
www.myspace.com/2prettyones .

Why I wrote In Honor of the Veteran

I wrote, for a bud of mine, who came back, from the Iraq invasion, reticent to describe his part.
He was commended, having been the #!
trainee, at Camp Pendleton boot camp. He trained, roping from helicopters, and such, only to drive a truck, from Kuwait, to Baghdad, without firing weapon. Trained, but not battle-hardened.

He felt he hadn't done his part. I realized, the need for a card, commemorating the efforts, of all veterans. It takes beans, bullets, and bandages, to fight, which isn't deliberated, in public dialog.

This card, is a way, of not leaving anyone, behind.

Jack Richards

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I would like to thank all the veterans on this forum for your service. Bless you, thank you and may God keep you and yours.

Thank-You to all the Veterans and their families!

Joseph F. Pomeroy-U.S. Army
William C. Pomeroy-U.S. Army
Stephen B. Blair,Jr.-U.S.Army
Chester L.J.Arnow-U.S Air Force
James T. Pomeroy-U.S. Air Force
Jeffrey L. Storey-U.S. Marines
And Millions more...

We Love You ALL!!!
Linda

Kenny

Born on 11 March 1818 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

“Shelbyville, Kentucky- October 7, 1862
Dear Wife and Children,
We are quite well and hope that this may meet you all enjoying the same good blessings. Yesterday (Sunday), we marched 18 miles and today we are in camp resting. Our men have had 2 battles with the enemy pickets, our reg. had two killed, our company none, but had a few wounded and some hurt by their horses falling. Thomas Hanna’s horse fell and hurt him. He will be home before this reaches you. I am very hardy. Camp life agrees well with me so far. My team at present consists of two mules for leaders and two horses for the wheel. They are a very good and gentle team. We have two extra horses that John takes along when we move. He has an easy time of it at present. Martha’s letter gave me much pleasure but the ending of Martin’s letter grieved me very much. I hope he will not use such language, let alone write it, but be a good study boy so as to be a honor to himself as well as the rest of us. He has a good chance to make an honorable name and position for himself and my heartfelt wish is that he will be a good boy. I have nothing more of importance to write to you. Direct as before and they will be forwarded to us. We hear from you every few days from persons passing back and forward and I suppose you hear from us often other than by letter. I write this sitting on a cartridge box with my paper on my knee. No more at present but remain your Simon Clever.” 47

Mrs. Clever,
I have just returned from town it is now one o’clock at nite[sic]. I am at a loss to [ ] to address you not having any acquaintance with you. Still I feald[sic] it my duty to send you a few lines. Mr. Simon Clever departed this life this day. I was notafyed[sic] of the fact in a short time. Leit. Cunningham and Wm. White and myself went up to the Hospital at once to make arrangements to have his remaines[sic] sent home. Which we did. A wooden coffin would cost 50 dollars and a metalick[sic] one 90 so we thought after consulting John’s fealings[sic] on the matter that the metalick[sic] one would be the cheapest and most substancial[sic] to send that distance. The [elscfere?] charges from hear[sic] to Louisville is 18 dollars making in all one hundred and 8 dollars. Then I went to work to gett[sic] a leave of absance[sic] for John for twenty dayes[sic]. That took me from 5 until twelve o’clock at night. I had to gow[sic] and see the General, that is General Rosencrans, in person to gett[sic] the papers approved. We heartley[sic] lament with you and the family in the loss of a good and kind husband and an affectionate father. Mr. Clever was and always has bin[sic] a very good friend of mine and I lament his death very mutch[sic] but we all have to pass sooner or later. This is a debt that we all owe.

John can tell you all the rest mutch[sic] better than I can. Feald[sic] assured that my best wishes shall attend you and the family.

Very Respectfully Yours
Capt. J. N. Van Skike
County L, 4th Ind Cavalry

“Headquarters 4th Indiana Cavalry near
Murfessboro, Tennessee, June 2d 1863
at a regular meeting of the officers and members of Comapny L 4th Indiana Cavalry

Capt. J. N. Vanskike Commanding a Committee of three was appointed, Consisting of Jonathan Schooley, George E. Grace and John Stouffer to draft Resolutions expressive of their feeling in regard to the death of the late lamented Simon Clever who departed this Life May 26th 1863.

taking into Consideration his age and the Surrounding Sircumstances[sic] at home, leaving as he did a home of peace and plenty, an interesting wife and family, and take up arms in defence of his Country, and endure the hardships and dangers that must necessarily follow in the pathway of a Soldier, we feel assured he was prompted by none other than Patriotic Motives.

therefore Resolved 1st
that in his death the army has lost a brave and Patriotic Soldier, and the Community in which he lived a worthy Member

I'm Kenneth Lee Clever, and yes, he's my great great Grandfather.

Last edited:

Kenny

"I can sleep like a pig and eat like a horse".

I feel quite well this morning. John is well and the rest of the boys are all well. The company had moved their camp before I got out, we have a clean beautiful shady clean camp. When you write direct s before, unless you learn from the paper that we have left Indianapolis, always direct in care of Capt. Josiah Hartley. Get Mr. Dickey to back your letter. I have nothing more to wright that would be interesting to you. I remain your husband, Simon Clever.” 47

“Louisville, Kentucky- September 9, 1862
Dear Wife and Children,
We have received but one letter from you since I was at home. John and I have broke six green mules since we came down here. They pull well now. I can drive them myself without any trouble now. John took cold and had a bad headache. I was afraid he might take fever. I took him to Mrs. Scooley’s mother with a Mr. Lewis, one of our company, that has the chills. He has a good comfortable place to stay at. He will stay here a few days yet. He is well contented. The camp is a half mile from this. He could go to Camp now but I think it is better for him to stay a few days yet. Mrs. Schooley is the woman that drove the market wagon. They are very kind to the soldiers. I am quite well and hope that this will meet you all well. Our company is nearly all out on a scout. They went out to Lebanon Junction. Write soon and direct to Louisville, Kentucky, in care of Cap. Hartley, 4th Ind. Calvary. Your husband and father, Simon Clever.”47

“Louisville Ky Sept 14th 1862
Dear Wife and Children
We have received no more letters from you. Our letters are taken out to Lebanon Station where the company is at present, but we look for the Company back in a day or two. But keep writing to us we will get them after a while.

John is well and in camp again. I am quite well and I cincerely[sic] hope that this may meet you are well. John has had a good place to stay at. He was well taken care of. Mrs. Scooly and her Mother Mrs [ ] are very good to the soldiers.

William McNeal and Wm Hanna’s son are both in the Hospital in Louisville. The[y] are both better. I send this letter by Mrs. Cox to Madison. She came came[sic] here to see her son. He is in the Hospital and is better.

We have plenty to eat. We live well. Some nights I sleep in the tents and others in the wagon. I can sleep like a pig and eat like a horse. Write soon and direct as before. Yours and c Simon Clever.”48

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I got to read my Grandpa's letters to my Grandma from WWI. It took me 2 days. That was a humbling experience. It was sooo hard for them! Isn't it cool, Kenny, to have those pieces of your history?

Kenny

Last letter

This was Simons last letter, and I have no doubt whatsoever that I've mysteriously inherited a bit of his writing style.:roll:

“Camp near Murfeesboro, Tenn March 28th 1863
Dear Wife and Children, we received a letter from you a few days ago amd were glad to hear that you were all well. I have not been very well the last week. I had taken cold in my head, it was something like neuralga[sic]. I am about well of it again. John is still improving. He is still in the Quartermasters department.

We [received?] our pay up to January 1st. John and I received about $100. We expect to get two months more pay in a few days. I will send you our money the first oppertenity[sic]. I think I will not send till we receive two months more pay.

The boys from the neighborhood are all well. Tell Martin and Lehman to be good boys and raise all the crop the[y] can for it will be neaded[sic]. The rebs here can’t raise any crop. There will be no crop raised in this part of the country.

I can’t think of anything more to write to you that would be interesting to you. This is a strong fortified place. There is no danger of the rebs coming in here.

The peach trees are in full bloom and the trees are getting green.

Write often, no more at present
but remain yours affectionately
Simon Clever”53

“Old 2n County L, 4th Ind Cavalry
Near Murfeesboro, Tenn
May 26th 1863

Kenny

Both sides had patriots to some in the good old USA, but how can that be? It can be a very tricky business, that patriot stuff.

It makes me tear up when I read it..LOL I love him when he say's "The peach trees are in full bloom and the trees are getting green", and " I can sleep like a pig and eat like a horse".

Last edited:

Kenny

The History of Veterans Day

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp
World War I – known at the time as “The Great War” - officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, in the Palace of Versailles outside the town of Versailles, France. However, fighting ceased seven months earlier when an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. For that reason, November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.”
Whereas the 11th of November 1918, marked the cessation of the most destructive, sanguinary, and far reaching war in human annals and the resumption by the people of the United States of peaceful relations with other nations, which we hope may never again be severed, and
Whereas it is fitting that the recurring anniversary of this date should be commemorated with thanksgiving and prayer and exercises designed to perpetuate peace through good will and mutual understanding between nations; and
Whereas the legislatures of twenty-seven of our States have already declared November 11 to be a legal holiday: Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), that the President of the United States is requested to issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.
A day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day."

"A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good."

Last edited:
United States Coast Guard and a member of PP/RP American Legion, Mx 15. Thank you, and thank all the other vets and those who serve now. A special thank you for the parents and loved ones that have to go through the time also.