Wanted good used transportation

Stewart this is an example of right wingers putting Us politics in the forum.This time it is Cactus Amigo using a sock puppet. in real life he drives around Penasco with a Too young Mexican wife and an open beer while trashing Mexicans and central Americans forced to cross the border to make a buck...on the other hand he always has good info and should not be banned for occasionally threatening to shoot his forum brothers
The biggest damn pot calling a kettle black...who interjects his political beliefs and "lib"turdisms into just about every post he makes?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Jerry - Point taken. Jack? Your post was fine and informational, except for the last sentence. Please try to keep US politics out of the posts up here in the general forums. It just causes hate, discontent, and pissing contests. You are more than welcome to discuss politics in Rants and Raves.

Thank-you,
The Management

Roberto

Back to the topic. sorry if I derailed it in the beginning. I thought it was useful inormation vis a vis purchasing a car you can actually use. There is an Auto Trader magazine published in Sonora. Saw it for sale at the Oxxo in the Malecon this afternoon. Probably in all the Oxxos if you look.

Aside, I am not sure that the bit about the Mexican being named on the title is true, I would check that out. I was told by a Hacienda abogado amiga that the driver had to have the same last name as on the registration, as in an esposo I think she said. And I think the law is designed to maximize tax income not prevent driving stolen cars, as a 'protection' to stop Mexicans from buying cheap US cars and not paying the applicable tax, plus benefits to the Mexican car sales business. Simply putting the name on a title would be too easy and everyone would be doing it.

Jerry - Point taken. Jack? Your post was fine and informational, except for the last sentence. Please try to keep US politics out of the posts up here in the general forums. It just causes hate, discontent, and pissing contests. You are more than welcome to discuss politics in Rants and Raves.

Thank-you,
The Management
OK, Stuart,

I appreciate and respect your guidance and correction. I only rarely visit the Forum, and I may have been caught up in the Rants and Raves section, and carried it over to where the nature of certain content is not appropriate to post in other sections.

There is a lot of questionable, misleading, or incorrect "information" posted on the Forum in regard to Mexican law. My intent is to post factual information, as I understand it, in a manner that can be easily understood by all readers of the Forum. Misunderstanding, or the lack of knowledge of Mexican law can have serious consequences, especially for Mexican nationals. Mexico is very lenient in the application of Mexican law to tourists, which is quite different from how it is applied to Mexican nationals in their own country.

Back to the topic. sorry if I derailed it in the beginning. I thought it was useful inormation vis a vis purchasing a car you can actually use. There is an Auto Trader magazine published in Sonora. Saw it for sale at the Oxxo in the Malecon this afternoon. Probably in all the Oxxos if you look.

Aside, I am not sure that the bit about the Mexican being named on the title is true, I would check that out. I was told by a Hacienda abogado amiga that the driver had to have the same last name as on the registration, as in an esposo I think she said. And I think the law is designed to maximize tax income not prevent driving stolen cars, as a 'protection' to stop Mexicans from buying cheap US cars and not paying the applicable tax, plus benefits to the Mexican car sales business. Simply putting the name on a title would be too easy and everyone would be doing it.
Roberto -

I have no idea why you desire to continue to belabor or confuse the issue. Buying a car for use in Mexico is a separate topic from a Mexican national driving a foreign registered car in Mexico.

I don't care what you were told by "a Hacienda abogado amiga". Marital status has nothing to do with the ownership of a vehicle. My wife and I have different last names, and we are both listed on the titles of our vehicles as co-owners. As long as she is listed on the titles of our vehicles, she has never been required to present a certificate of marriage at any Hacienda checkpoint. In accordance with Mexican law, she can legally own a vehicle outside of Mexico, and drive that same vehicle inside of Mexico.

Your tax implication point has some merit, but the primary intent of the law is to apprehend vehicles stolen in the US and driven into Mexico. Any vehicles purchased in the US by Mexican citizens and legally imported into Mexico, would require the Mexican owner to be on the title as the legal owner of the vehicle. The rest is a Mexican tax issue.

If anyone has better factual information, please post it. It will be of benefit to those who are affected by this issue, and I am always willing to learn from those who know more about Mexican law than I do.

I am not sure of all of the "ins and outs" as it relates to anyone elses experience on the import- export rules but my situation is this.

I hold an FM2 immigration status. I have a Mexican drivers license. I was forced to import my cars because since I live here permanently and do not have a residence in the USA I had to answer "NO" on a questionnaire sent by my then insurance company asking if my cars were still garaged at the address on file (In Northern AZ). As soon as they got that back, they cancelled my insurance that I had had for 32 years. As soon as they cancelled I was notified by ADOT that my cars were no longer registered in Arizona, my tags were cancelled. So I hired a broker at Sonoita "Grupo Aduanal Ibarrola Elias" and Rafael López Bojorquez handled the whole deal for me. I took less than 3 hours at the border. Heres the important kicker on the whole import thing. You must take your AZ title into the customs office on the USA side and have it stamped "EXPORTED TO MEXICO" other wise you are known as a export violator. My Van has "Frontera Plates" so I am limited to driving as far as Caborca to the east but I can drive all of Baja California and the USA and Canada. I cannot obtain a stamp to go deeper into Mexico with my van as it is a 15 passenger van and would be considered a people mover in competition with other registered buses. However for my wifes car a small Jeep Liberty we can obtain a stamp which allows us for a period of one year to drive though the whole country of Mexico. Her car also has "Frontera Plates".
In the above comment it is also important to note that you must have a Sonoran drivers license if you plan to drive your Sonoran plated car to the USA. I imported both cars under my license and on one trip my wife drove her car to the USA and was pulled into secondary for almost an hour because she only had a USA drivers license. Once it was established that it was an oversight and the fact that her name was on the USA Title for the jeep they let her pass but informed her that it was illegal for her to drive that car with her license. So she now has a Sonoran Drivers License too.
My neighbor (a Mexican National) was given a car from a good hearted person from Arizona. It had current registration on it for Arizona and the plates had the right stamp on them. As long as he drove around town he was fine but one day he was on the highway going to the parts yard North of town. He was pulled over by Mexican Federal Police and because he did not have an Arizona Drivers License to match the Arizona plated car, the car was impounded until he came up with the money to properly import the car and plate it in Sonora. He has his car and it cost him a few pesos but now he is legal.
I have many friends who live here full time but still drive USA plated cars. The time will come that they will be questioned about this as they enter Mexico from the USA. They have started scanning cars and drivers licenses on entry to Mexico on the USA side. Right now it is a random occurrence but dont kid yourself that the USA doesnt know everytime you cross in and out of Mexico. Full time residents will probably be forced to export their car into Mexico if the Customs folks decide to implement the law regarding residency and where the car is plated. Because these friends are American citizens and white they are given a lot of leeway right now but it may change. Ok I am tired now typing this much with one finger is a workout, I hope the information given helps, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. On edit Not all the cars that are sold here are salvaged Titles there are many many fine vehicles available!
Great info, Russ. The only thing I need to add here is that local police can also enforce the law and import a US registered vehicle if a Mexican national is found to be driving it without the owner in the car. Because they're enforcing what is seen as a tax law, municipal cops don't often hassle people in town over this...but be assured that they can and have.

Your tax implication point has some merit, but the primary intent of the law is to apprehend vehicles stolen in the US and driven into Mexico. Any vehicles purchased in the US by Mexican citizens and legally imported into Mexico, would require the Mexican owner to be on the title as the legal owner of the vehicle. The rest is a Mexican tax issue.
The primary intent of the law is to punish tax evaders. There are fewer stolen cars living down here than there are cars that have simply avoided the importation tax. I have a problem with your earlier comment that this is all a government ploy to confiscate your nice cars. The Mexican government is being cheated out of millions of dollars by people who see no need to pay to import vehicles. They drive them, keep them here and then sell them to Nationals even though those vehicles are in this country illegally.

jerry

with the nw trade deals Mexico is making and the peso drop I think a Nissan from the Caborca dealer is not that much higher than buying one from those Iranian crooks at The Tucson dealership

Kenny

Yes, it's lost revenue their after, not your car.

The states are very serious about getting their money, why not in Mexico too Cactus? It seems the Cactus has a very low opinion of Mexico and it's people, and it seems to taint his thinking.

Here's just how serious Oregon state can get, and just one of many, both big and small.
Harden submitted a no contest plea and was sentenced pursuant to a stipulated agreement to 24-months of probation on ten counts of Tampering with Public Records. As part of the civil judgment, she is subject to a permanent injunction preventing her from engaging in similar enterprises in the future and agreed to pay a $100,000 money award, which, as part of the agreement, was due in full at the time of the sentencing on the criminal charges.
“This settlement sends a clear message to those who choose to defraud states by falsely registering motor vehicles in Oregon and avoiding sales taxes and registration fees,” stated Attorney General Hardy Myers.
In August 2005, DOJ began investigating Harden regarding her involvement in a scheme to assist out-of-state businesses and individuals in avoiding sales tax and registration fees in their home states by fraudulently registering their motor vehicles, primarily luxury motor coaches, in Oregon. Ms. Harden allowed her personal residential address to be used to establish what appeared to be a legitimate address in-state.

Roberto

Roberto -

I have no idea why you desire to continue to belabor or confuse the issue. Buying a car for use in Mexico is a separate topic from a Mexican national driving a foreign registered car in Mexico.

Moi, belabor and confuse , ja, ja, ja muy gracioso !!! Yes I guess you are correct if you don' t mind buying a car with unfamiliar ownership paperwork for someone els who may or may not be able to drive the car. You can own it but can't use it, who would care about such a petty detail as that??

I don't care what you were told by "a Hacienda abogado amiga". Marital status has nothing to do with the ownership of a vehicle.

I know, your mind was made up years ago and has not changed one bit since then, irrespective of any new input. Marital status has something to do wtih WHO can drive the vehicle. Guess if you just want some lawn statuary it's all good.

My wife and I have different last names, and we are both listed on the titles of our vehicles as co-owners. As long as she is listed on the titles of our vehicles, she has never been required to present a certificate of marriage at any Hacienda checkpoint. In accordance with Mexican law, she can legally own a vehicle outside of Mexico, and drive that same vehicle inside of Mexico.

Well then, that's the solution for all Mexicans. Just hold the ownership papers in Arizona and drive it where ever you want without importing it. HA, if it was that simple everyone would be doint it, much, much cheaper that paying for importation. I have no question about your experiences but doubt you understanding of why.

Mmmm case is that the act of importation is a tax based requirement. You cannot legally import a vehicle without paying the TAX, that's what it's all about. Don't think Mexico gives a rat's patute about stolen cars arriving here for any other reason than the TAX that should be paid.

If anyone has better factual information, please post it. It will be of benefit to those who are affected by this issue, and I am always willing to learn from those who know more about Mexican law than I do.
Ha, ha, ha you would have to admit that you don't know something, that ain't gonna happen !!