We need a GOLF forum

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Stuart, we need a forum dedicated to RP Golf. Since we are on this subject, does anyone know if the laguna shores golf club is open for play yet? Ive played Las Palomas and La Peninsula @ the Mayan and have heard that they were trying to complete the laguna shores course. Ive looked through a telescope from my friends house in cholla bay and it appears the course is being played. I could see pins and golf carts out there.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Use the Fishing Forum. Golf and Fishing are very much alike. In both sports, you stand around for long periods of time with a stick-like thing in your hand, just waiting for something to happen.

If there's enough interest, we could probably add a Golf forum. Y'all can compare putters and drivers and par and playing with your balls. Personally, I don't golf (nothing against y'all that do). One expensive hobby at a time is all I can afford!

:gofishing:

Why would anybody want to come to Penasco to play golf????? With all the other activities available that are "appropriate" to the area.....:stir::boat::gofishing::coldone:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Playa, when you say the back nine is open am I supposed to assume that the front nine is already complete? Ive never heard of a course building the back nine first, but then again I think this course was conceived like 5 years ago and still isnt finished yet. Yes, if you have the number that would be great. I assume its open to the public? There will never be a true private golf community in RP. Ive been playing golf my whole life and worked in the industry since I was able to work. I remember when LP first opened the director of golf was telling me that they were going to be open to the public only for the first few months until they went private. I basically looked at this guy like buddy dont bull**** me. Well that was 4 years ago and still LP is open to the public. To RCKYPNTJOE, not everyone has an extra $42,000 laying around to spend on a boat. You can argue this, but really without a boat or a sandrail or something theres not a whole lot to do besides drink and lay on the beach which is fine with me. I honestly believe sometime in the future, golf will be a big draw to the area of RP. It already is in other parts of Mexico, and being so close to Phoenix, which is one of the finest golf destinations in the world. The Jack Nickalous course at the Mayan Palace is fantastic and is in great shape. Awesome layout with great views and right on the ocean. That course in the states would cost upwards of $150 a round and at $60 a round right now its an incredible value to play championship golf in RP. I think for a lot of the SB condo crowd, golf is right up their alley. Im an avid golfer and I never thought that I would see a golf course in RP, now there is almost three when they complete laguna shores. I would rather spend my money golfing that buying junk at the cardboard mall or booz cruise or riding quads or jetskis. All personal preference right? Another advantage to having golf courses in RP, winter time visitors. Golf is an all year a round sport in a place like Phoenix and RP. In the winter your traditional water sports go to rest and there is no money to be made renting jetskis in February, but golf in February is beautiful and worth every penny. So now RP becomes an all year destination, even in the slower months of December, January and February. The last x amount of times Ive been down it looks like Las Palomas is doing fairly well with demand because Im seeing golfers regularly now. I dont ever go to RP specifically to play golf, but when Im in RP Im playing golf. We fish, golf and drink beer is there any other way to enjoy a vacation?

Last edited:
Playa, when you say the back nine is open am I supposed to assume that the front nine is already complete? Ive never heard of a course building the back nine first, but then again I think this course was conceived like 5 years ago and still isnt finished yet. Yes, if you have the number that would be great. I assume its open to the public? There will never be a true private golf community in RP. Ive been playing golf my whole life and worked in the industry since I was able to work. I remember when LP first opened the director of golf was telling me that they were going to be open to the public only for the first few months until they went private. I basically looked at this guy like buddy dont bull**** me. Well that was 4 years ago and still LP is open to the public. To RCKYPNTJOE, not everyone has an extra $42,000 laying around to spend on a boat. You can argue this, but really without a boat or a sandrail or something theres not a whole lot to do besides drink and lay on the beach which is fine with me. I honestly believe sometime in the future, golf will be a big draw to the area of RP. It already is in other parts of Mexico, and being so close to Phoenix, which is one of the finest golf destinations in the world. The Jack Nickalous course at the Mayan Palace is fantastic and is in great shape. Awesome layout with great views and right on the ocean. That course in the states would cost upwards of $150 a round and at $60 a round right now its an incredible value to play championship golf in RP. I think for a lot of the SB condo crowd, golf is right up their alley. Im an avid golfer and I never thought that I would see a golf course in RP, now there is almost three when they complete laguna shores. I would rather spend my money golfing that buying junk at the cardboard mall or booz cruise or riding quads or jetskis. All personal preference right? Another advantage to having golf courses in RP, winter time visitors. Golf is an all year a round sport in a place like Phoenix and RP. In the winter your traditional water sports go to rest and there is no money to be made renting jetskis in February, but golf in February is beautiful and worth every penny. So now RP becomes an all year destination, even in the slower months of December, January and February. The last x amount of times Ive been down it looks like Las Palomas is doing fairly well with demand because Im seeing golfers regularly now. I dont ever go to RP specifically to play golf, but when Im in RP Im playing golf. We fish, golf and drink beer is there any other way to enjoy a vacation?
It doesn't cost that much to enjoy watersports.....and some of us have ridden jetskis year round....but to each his own....i've never seen the attraction to spend $150 or even $60.... to knock a little ball around a golfcourse....

Last edited:

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
It doesn't cost that much to enjoy watersports.....and some of us have ridden jetskis year round....but to each his own....i've never seen the attraction to spend $150 or even $60.... to knock a little ball around a golfcourse....
Ask my dad, he does it twice every weekend. Each person enjoys their own activities. Some don't like the water *shrug*

RPJoe,
I felt the same way until I started playing. It was a situation with the hubby of "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em". (He was out having fun and I was home doing laundry...................now, if the laundry doesn't get done, it's because we're out playing golf and no one is to blame but the two of us). I'm so glad I did because it is the most amazing game...............soooooo challenging and that's why I like it.
Thank you, Mexico Joe, my husband and I couldn't have said it better (and we own a sandrail LOL)!! We are not diehard golf fanatics and don't go to places to specifically play golf, but it is great to be able to play in RP. You did not mention the very first nine holes open down there...........Laguna del Mar. My husband played it three or four times before it disappeared. Anyone know what happened there? You said it's only $60.00 to play the Mayan...........did you use one of their coupons or did you stay there??? (How did you get such a good rate?)

I was born to be a beachbum (sometimes wish I would have seriously pursued it, LOL)..............it's in my blood but I also love to golf and jetski and dance like no one's watching:moon: I will try anything once and if I like it, I'll continue to do it. If not, let others enjoy it. To each his own, indeed. BTW, Mexico Joe, I spoke to Mark (Seadweller) about the possibility of having a fund raising golf tournament down there. He said he has already given it thought, and it could be doable. Golf tournaments are a lot of fun for everyone, whether you golf or not, and a great way to raise money............seriously, there's nothing more entertaining than watching people who don't normally golf.......well, golf or at least try, just for the sake of the charity. They have such a great time just getting out there and trying it!!

playaperro

El Pirata
Ok mexicojoe I kind of like penascojoe better but you could have a gringo name like rockypointjoe yuk. They are re-opening the back nine holes! While they complete construction of the front nine.
course hours 7:30 to 5:00
Golf shop
Club rental
beverage cart
Snacks, sandwiches, soft drinks, beer
Cash and credit card accepted
Call in reservations required at least 24 hours in advance
Call 638 383 0000 ext "Golf Shop"

InkaRoads

cronopiador
During January and February I thought that the shuttle service was going to be completely dead, however they were my busiest months so far, due to golf players, so there are a lot of people out there that knows about PP golf courses, specially canadians!!

Thank you, Inks.............I'm going to go out on a limb here, but the golf business would be very lucrative to RP. Seriously, the town has taken a major hit recently and all I can say is, if there's a way anyway of boosting the economy, bring it on. Obviously, I don't want it to grow completely out of hand but bringing in the condos got the ball rolling (re: what Mexico Joe said). If they are going to exist, which they are, why not capitalize on the situation from the golf aspect??

Agreed about the Mayan course. Fantastic. $59 in March included range balls, water, towels and GPS. Anybody have photos of the Laguna course? Their website is under construction but the photo they have looks like they have a winner.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mayan golf rates

RPJoe,
I felt the same way until I started playing. It was a situation with the hubby of "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em". (He was out having fun and I was home doing laundry...................now, if the laundry doesn't get done, it's because we're out playing golf and no one is to blame but the two of us). I'm so glad I did because it is the most amazing game...............soooooo challenging and that's why I like it.
Thank you, Mexico Joe, my husband and I couldn't have said it better (and we own a sandrail LOL)!! We are not diehard golf fanatics and don't go to places to specifically play golf, but it is great to be able to play in RP. You did not mention the very first nine holes open down there...........Laguna del Mar. My husband played it three or four times before it disappeared. Anyone know what happened there? You said it's oinly $60.00 to play the Mayan...........did you use one of their coupons or did you stay there??? (How did you get such a good rate?)
Basically every course offers a twilight rate which means after a certain time of the afternoon the rate drops considerably. I've played the Mayan 4 times now and with the exception of the last time this past October we have played on the twilight rate. Twilight rate depends on the season. For example the "season" in Phoenix is the wintertime because of the weather obviously. It all depends on the course but usually in season the twilight rate will start after 1pm generally because the days are shorter. You pay less, but in the dead of winter you have to worry about not finishing before sunset. However this time of year, days are longer and you don't have to worry about finishing. Only downside its getting warmer, but its a way to save money. Okay, now back to RP, the season is the same in RP as Phoenix, so this time of year the twilight is at 2pm, don't quote me though its best to check. Both Las palomas and the Mayan have a twilight. I don't believe the rates change with the season in RP like they do in Phoenix, only the twilight rate time. I believe the twilight rate for Las palomas is $30 plus tax, and the Mayan is $55 plus tax. It comes out to around 60. Now obviously you can play the prime rate in the mornings for considerably more usually around $15 to $20 more. Las palomas is a great course, but the Jack nickalous designed Mayan is phenomenal and worth every penny. I mentioned that the last time we played the Mayan in October that we played in the am at about 8. It was around $75 I think, but once again don't quote me. The Mayan is a championship golf course and so is LP but the Mayan may not be suitable for beginners. However, the Mayan offers beauty and scenery second to none in RP and should be on any golfers wish list. The only thing I will mention that I don't agree with is that the Mayan charges a $20 riding fee to anyone who isn't playing but want to ride a long.

Silly me, I should have realized that $60.00 would be the twilight rate. I am a beginner, so the Mayan is definitely out of the question!! I really only like to play executive courses anyway....................I can't hit the ball far, pretty straight most of the time, just not far................therefore, I spend a great deal of time "walking the course" (silly to drive the cart to the ball when the ball is only 50' in front of you, LOL). The hubby is really going to want to play it now, but he'll have to do it alone, because I refuse to pay $20.00 to ride along................that's ridiculous. I was going to play LP (hubby has played it numerous times, I never have), but at $85.00 a round right now, I don't think so. And it's just too hot for me in the afternoon when it's cheaper..................That $85.00 is going to be spent on a boat trip instead!! I haven't checked Mayan's site lately, but they did have some killer coupons...................I'll have to look into it again.

Mexico Joe,
We played the executive course at Palm Valley when we were up there in February. What an absolutely delightful little course that is. Have you ever played it?