What are *your* top 5 fav restaurants, taco stands, grub joints in RP!

gringa

I've gone many times without calling with large groups and there was no problem but here is the number for Ramon's (638)388-53621 or cell (638)112-0350, if calling from USA dial 011-52 before the area code (638)
I've heard that the Lighthouse will be closed thru March, however I have not been able to verify, their fish filet in Mango sauce is delis!!!
Thanks Inka! Good to know and I really appreciate the numbers! Thanks again!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
we have been wanting to try Capones, too, but never seem to think Pizza when we are in RP.

There is WAY more to try at Al Capones than just Pizza (although the shrimp pizza is the BOMB) They have awesome fish and pasta dishes.

If you can handle some heat, try their Shrimp Caribe (which is a whole Caribe pepper stuffed with shrimp, onion and garlic and topped with cheese) -These things are like Russian Roulette- sometimes they are mild and mellow, and sometimes they are insanely hot.

gringa

There is WAY more to try at Al Capones than just Pizza (although the shrimp pizza is the BOMB) They have awesome fish and pasta dishes.

If you can handle some heat, try their Shrimp Caribe (which is a whole Caribe pepper stuffed with shrimp, onion and garlic and topped with cheese) -These things are like Russian Roulette- sometimes they are mild and mellow, and sometimes they are insanely hot.
Oh wow! Now **that** sounds AMAZING! This thread is making me hungry!

rplarry

If you only had 5 meals left, where would you go?

Can't wait to hear all about everyone's faves!
Gringa, obviously a lot of great opinions. Many varied of course, however that to me shows how many good options there are to eat out (or take in) in Penasco.

For my wife & I (and most of our friends who come down), we like the following:

1) La Curva - never once have had a bad meal there. (Have probably eaten there at least 100+ times) In fact, have always had great meals at La Curva whether we dine in or call our order in to go. Service and friendliness is probably as good as you can get in Penasco. Most of the staff have worked at the restaurant for 10, 15 years +. Their Mexican food is probably the best in Rocky Point, especially if you like traditional Sonoran style , and their seafood is always excellent and tasty as well. (It is funny to me to see the "haters" of La Curva. Just don't get it.) Food is always quick, of high quality, and really tasty. Can't go wrong with breakfast lunch or dinner! And, I vouch for La Curva having the best Margarita's in town. Ask for Norma to be you server.

2) Capone's - their pizza is fantastic. Usually order with xtra sauce and well done. Their chef has put together a very good menu of high quality and varied dishes as well. (The crab cakes are awesome.) In fact, if you have a favorite dish which is not even on the menu and would like to request it, he will make it from scratch for you if he has the ingredients available. He is very creative and loves to 'tinker' with different dishes.

3) Tacos Brisas - the best taco shop in Rocky Point, hands down. They have other items besides tacos and their Papa Rellenos is a can't miss. Their carne is not grisly at all and is a really, good quality beef. Owners (one being Gama) are super good guys, 3rd generation from Penasco. We have always had great meals there. They will also cater to your house or private function and do a bang up job.

4) Lapa Lapa - don't hear many comments about Lapa Lapa, however this restaurant is down on the melecon and has a great ambiance, actually one of the best in the evening, as well as a 2nd story ocean view. Food has always been solid. (Would recommend a bit of 'steering' on how you want your drinks made however. Sometime a little sweet) All in all, a great location, cool atmosphere, and food has always been good to us.

5) Mare Blu or Portifino - both have really great food, with totally different atmosphere's. The Mare Blu out on Sandy Beach is really cool if you can hit it at sunset. It sits right on the sand.

***** HONORABLE MENTION (could substitute a few of these for the above 1-5, given a different mood or change of scenery) :

* Boo Bar - great place, comfortable, friendly and has great tv's for sports, etc. Probably the best burger in town (but am open to suggestions as I don't usually eat burgers when down in Rocky Point)

* El Capitan - on the point & up by the lighthouse. Hands down, the most amazing views in all of Rocky Point. Cannot beat going to Capitan' for a drink and/or appetizer at sunset and then heading home to cook or off to your favorite restaurant. In years past, El Capitan's food has been 'hit or miss', however the past few times when we have ordered dinner, it has been very good. And, their margaritas are excellent as well (definitely not weak)

* Mary's - really good shrimp, scallop & flounder tacos, as well as one of the best shrimp cocktails. On the water, friendly staff... great place

* Reggie's - I agree with Kenny here. Those burrito's are very good, and so easy to get them to go and get to fishing. For a quick meal on the run, can't beat Reggie's 8/12.

* La Cita Cafe - would put this towards the top of my list if they hadn't closed down for 10 years and then re-opened & relocated from the Melecon area to further into town. This is the oldest restaurant in Penasco, with the original owners dating back to 1948. The menu is virtually the exact same as it has always been. Nothing beats a La Cita breakfast of Mexican Style eggs, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc. Their shredded beef tacos, burritos, etc or the shredded beef (machaca/jerky) added to the eggs is always very good as well. Known for their green salsa.

* Brother's Pizza - very good sandwich's & salads. Have not had their pizza but it looked very good while we were there. Seems to have a steady stream of customers, both American and local

* Sombrero's on Calle 13 - when all else fails and you need an "Mexican Denny's fix", this is the place. Open 24/7, their food is typically pretty consistent, nice inside & refrigerated, beer of draft, etc. Not the best 'cuisine' in Rocky Point necessarily, but a nice option when everyone else is closed. ( be careful of the all night riff-raff that sometimes 'lingers' on Calle 13 though)

That's my 2 cents. I guess I'm stickin' to it...

El Gato

Where has La Cita now located? We used to go there everytime we were down here (well, in the 40's/50's etc. there weren't a whole lot of places to go). They had the most wonderful shrimp coctails - twenty-five cents and you got an old milk shake sized glass full of the big blues fresh off the boats. Had my first dellish bite of Pollo Mole there - been hooked ever since (Ramons has great Pollo Mole). And they had great breakfasts - most of the fishermen would gather there before taking off for the days fishing. Seemed like it was on the corner in late 40's and then moved to the street that ran down to the dock - hard getting old, memories run into each other.

rplarry

Where has La Cita now located? We used to go there everytime we were down here (well, in the 40's/50's etc. there weren't a whole lot of places to go). They had the most wonderful shrimp coctails - twenty-five cents and you got an old milk shake sized glass full of the big blues fresh off the boats. Had my first dellish bite of Pollo Mole there - been hooked ever since (Ramons has great Pollo Mole). And they had great breakfasts - most of the fishermen would gather there before taking off for the days fishing. Seemed like it was on the corner in late 40's and then moved to the street that ran down to the dock - hard getting old, memories run into each other.
I don't have the exact address, but if you turn onto Sonora Blvd just off Benito Juarez, drive 3 blocks and take a left. (Sits directy across the street from a gym) Not the most scenic location, however food is as good as it was back in the day.

What ever happened to the taco shop around the corner from Super Ley? I use to love there tacos california with the roasted chiles and there Sonoran Papa's.
Rick
Cholla Bay

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Glad to know that RPLarry

Rick, Tacos Brisas (or Chessy, I can't remember,) on the corner of Sinaloa and Simon Morua have the best sonoran papa. They cost 6 bucks but I made 3 meals out of it. And you've seen me! You know I can eat!!!! LOL!

Last edited:

rplarry

Glad to know that RPLarry

Rick, Tacos Brisas (or Chessy, I can't remember,) on the corner of Sinaloa and Simon Morua have the best sonoran papa. They cost 6 bucks but I made 3 meals out of it. And you've seen me! You know I can eat!!!! LOL!
Yes, Tacos Brisas has a meal they call Papas Rellenos (sp?) It consists of potatoes steamed in foil with butter, then covered with tons of carne asada, freshly grilled green chile strips and then topped with an amazing Mexican cheese. Everything is wrapped up in foil and then heated over hot coals. It does cost $6, however it seems to weigh about 2 lbs and can make a few meals or easily can be split with someone else. One of our favorite dishes in Penasco!

LadyJeeper,
I am heading down tomorrow and I will try out your recomendation Tacos Brisas then some steamed clams at Al Capones and finish it off at the oyster farm. Maybe I will skip breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

Thanks,
Rick
Cholla Bay

MIRAMAR

La Cita was my first Mexican Shrimp Cocktail in the 70's and I've been hooked ever since. I don't like American shrimp cocktails, but La Cita's- mmmm! Hope they're as good as I remember.

AZ ROB

Yes, Tacos Brisas has a meal they call Papas Rellenos (sp?) It consists of potatoes steamed in foil with butter, then covered with tons of carne asada, freshly grilled green chile strips and then topped with an amazing Mexican cheese. Everything is wrapped up in foil and then heated over hot coals. It does cost $6, however it seems to weigh about 2 lbs and can make a few meals or easily can be split with someone else. One of our favorite dishes in Penasco!
I have been there and the place is great.. The tacos are very good as well....

BIG MAC

Max's - Everthing on the menu
Asadero Viva Mexico - Tacos Al Pastor
Xotchils (Cholla Bay) - Chili Relleno
Blue Marlin - Fish Tacos
Manny's (if they were open) - Quesadilla al Pat

What ever happened to the taco shop around the corner from Super Ley? I use to love there tacos california with the roasted chiles and there Sonoran Papa's.
Rick
Cholla Bay
You are talking about Asadero Sonora. Jorge the owner got mixed up with the wrong people and they found his dismembered body in front of the condos on Sandy Beach.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Chorizo = Vina Del Mar
Tacos = Anywhere
Shrimp Cooktail = Flavios, Playa Bonita, Marys
Mex Food= Reginas
Desert = Guau Guaus'

rplarry

Friday night, we went to La Curva for dinner, and were very surprised to see the entire main dining room completely packed. I think there was only 1 table available when we got there around 7pm. Nice to see after NOT seeing it that way, with any restaurants in Penasco, for a very long time.

We had the Fish Veracruzano, which was excellent. Great service, great food as always.

Do they still have Drunken Shrimp on the menu? Haven't been in there in ages....but the service was always good....even when the main room was packed with one of the tour buses.....