What are *your* top 5 fav restaurants, taco stands, grub joints in RP!

Went to Mare Blu on Sandy Beach on Friday nite. Was about 9 and most were leaving, but we had wonderful homemade pasta there. All the pasta is good but the box with homemade pasta is exquisite. Thank you all for some new suggestions....ie, Taco Brisas...right now checking the map, also Thai and Fries website looks good...trying to see exactly where it is located. Can't leave town without going to Max'x....in about an hour......hop to see you there

Just got back from Max's...wonderful lemon chcken and gorgonzola shrimp... and they seem to have increased their options for wine...white wine 4 choices. Stay away from the La Cetto. They were reasonably busy, not packed but continually customers coming in and music outside with new fire pits...HOme tomorrow, back on Friday

gringa

WOW, wonderful recommendations, everyone! We even tried a few of these places and our experience was fantastic at each!

Ramon's at the Sea was really great and they even brought me a big slice of cake (with several forks) and serenaded me for my birthday! Service was great and they were fairly busy!

We loved the Wrecked at the Reef, although we didn't eat there, the staff was great and the drinks perfect! Loved the atmosphere, too! It is a new fave for us!

Cholla Bay & RCPM brought us to Chungas, which was outstanding, as always!

And then late night/early morning eats at Sombrero on Calle 13, which was surprisingly good! (Thx rplarry!)

And then, finally, on to Flavios (an old standby) and one more trip to Wrecked before heading home.

It was a great trip and we are really looking forward to going back soon!

So many wonderful restaurants, so little time!

Thanks again everyone, and keep the recommendations coming!

gringa

Gringa, obviously a lot of great opinions. Many varied of course, however that to me shows how many good options there are to eat out (or take in) in Penasco.

For my wife & I (and most of our friends who come down), we like the following:

1) La Curva - never once have had a bad meal there. (Have probably eaten there at least 100+ times) In fact, have always had great meals at La Curva whether we dine in or call our order in to go. Service and friendliness is probably as good as you can get in Penasco. Most of the staff have worked at the restaurant for 10, 15 years +. Their Mexican food is probably the best in Rocky Point, especially if you like traditional Sonoran style , and their seafood is always excellent and tasty as well. (It is funny to me to see the "haters" of La Curva. Just don't get it.) Food is always quick, of high quality, and really tasty. Can't go wrong with breakfast lunch or dinner! And, I vouch for La Curva having the best Margarita's in town. Ask for Norma to be you server.

2) Capone's - their pizza is fantastic. Usually order with xtra sauce and well done. Their chef has put together a very good menu of high quality and varied dishes as well. (The crab cakes are awesome.) In fact, if you have a favorite dish which is not even on the menu and would like to request it, he will make it from scratch for you if he has the ingredients available. He is very creative and loves to 'tinker' with different dishes.

3) Tacos Brisas - the best taco shop in Rocky Point, hands down. They have other items besides tacos and their Papa Rellenos is a can't miss. Their carne is not grisly at all and is a really, good quality beef. Owners (one being Gama) are super good guys, 3rd generation from Penasco. We have always had great meals there. They will also cater to your house or private function and do a bang up job.

4) Lapa Lapa - don't hear many comments about Lapa Lapa, however this restaurant is down on the melecon and has a great ambiance, actually one of the best in the evening, as well as a 2nd story ocean view. Food has always been solid. (Would recommend a bit of 'steering' on how you want your drinks made however. Sometime a little sweet) All in all, a great location, cool atmosphere, and food has always been good to us.

5) Mare Blu or Portifino - both have really great food, with totally different atmosphere's. The Mare Blu out on Sandy Beach is really cool if you can hit it at sunset. It sits right on the sand.

***** HONORABLE MENTION (could substitute a few of these for the above 1-5, given a different mood or change of scenery) :

* Boo Bar - great place, comfortable, friendly and has great tv's for sports, etc. Probably the best burger in town (but am open to suggestions as I don't usually eat burgers when down in Rocky Point)

* El Capitan - on the point & up by the lighthouse. Hands down, the most amazing views in all of Rocky Point. Cannot beat going to Capitan' for a drink and/or appetizer at sunset and then heading home to cook or off to your favorite restaurant. In years past, El Capitan's food has been 'hit or miss', however the past few times when we have ordered dinner, it has been very good. And, their margaritas are excellent as well (definitely not weak)

* Mary's - really good shrimp, scallop & flounder tacos, as well as one of the best shrimp cocktails. On the water, friendly staff... great place

* Reggie's - I agree with Kenny here. Those burrito's are very good, and so easy to get them to go and get to fishing. For a quick meal on the run, can't beat Reggie's 8/12.

* La Cita Cafe - would put this towards the top of my list if they hadn't closed down for 10 years and then re-opened & relocated from the Melecon area to further into town. This is the oldest restaurant in Penasco, with the original owners dating back to 1948. The menu is virtually the exact same as it has always been. Nothing beats a La Cita breakfast of Mexican Style eggs, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc. Their shredded beef tacos, burritos, etc or the shredded beef (machaca/jerky) added to the eggs is always very good as well. Known for their green salsa.

* Brother's Pizza - very good sandwich's & salads. Have not had their pizza but it looked very good while we were there. Seems to have a steady stream of customers, both American and local

* Sombrero's on Calle 13 - when all else fails and you need an "Mexican Denny's fix", this is the place. Open 24/7, their food is typically pretty consistent, nice inside & refrigerated, beer of draft, etc. Not the best 'cuisine' in Rocky Point necessarily, but a nice option when everyone else is closed. ( be careful of the all night riff-raff that sometimes 'lingers' on Calle 13 though)

That's my 2 cents. I guess I'm stickin' to it...
WOW! Amazing recs, rplarry! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detailed info...v. much appreciated and helped us out at 2 am on Saturday night!
Now we have to ck out all other other fab places you and everyone else recommended!

Thanks again and happy travels!

A

Aussie8

I forgot to mention....Glen the Chef, won the Best Restaurant Award for his cooking and Customer service at his Restaurant in Thailand....he will do the same in Rocky Point too....His Restaurant is BYO....big savings too...check him out at www.friesandthai.com....you will be surprised...make sure to book otherwise you will wait for a seat...

R

rashafaa

BTW....for those Max's lovers.....he and his wife have the restaurant at the Sonoran Spa.....but not serving breakfasts yet. They had a 16 oz. prime rib dinner on Friday night (I think it was $9.95)....but didn't have a chance to check it out.
We're staying at that Spa tomorrow and last time we ate there it was really awesome. Does anyone know if this Friday Prime Rib is still on the menu?

Roberto

Find it at the Spa, Max's or Bryans. Same owners but they only make what is ordered and a little more to cut down on leftovers so to be sure stop in and order before 6.

Try Mary's on the Malecon. The Shrimp Platter is awesome. I particularly like the seafood soup on a cold evening. Max's Cafe at the end of Calle 13 across form the Del Sol Hotel has a nice varied menu, Pizza, fresh fish, burgers and is always good for a nice evening.

ben21

Capone's is best food, Casa de Capitan best view, Taco stand about half way up calle 13 on the north side that is open 24hrs has great tacos

mondone

Whitecaps
If you only had 5 meals left, where would you go?

Can't wait to hear all about everyone's faves!
I forgot to mention....Glen the Chef, won the Best Restaurant Award for his cooking and Customer service at his Restaurant in Thailand....he will do the same in Rocky Point too....His Restaurant is BYO....big savings too...check him out at www.friesandthai.com....you will be surprised...make sure to book otherwise you will wait for a seat...
What happened to this place, O of B?

Capone's is best food, Casa de Capitan best view, Taco stand about half way up calle 13 on the north side that is open 24hrs has great tacos
Anyone that's a regular on here has seen my posts about Capones....two of the owners (Johnny & Derek) are complete jerks, nasty SOB's! And I will only go there if I'm meeting someone who does enjoy the place....but....the prices are ridiculous (particularly the pizzas), the service can be veeeeeeery slow.....typical sports bar.....you can find plenty of places that have better food in Penasco!

Roberto

What happened to this place, O of B?
Yes, they are closed. You can't get Thai finger food in Penasco. The guy really nefer did any business what with unsanitary conditions and a real crappy location. Too bad, i was very disappointed. Used to get good Thai food at the old, now closed, Margarita Villa.

ben21

Anyone that's a regular on here has seen my posts about Capones....two of the owners (Johnny & Derek) are complete jerks, nasty SOB's! And I will only go there if I'm meeting someone who does enjoy the place....but....the prices are ridiculous (particularly the pizzas), the service can be veeeeeeery slow.....typical sports bar.....you can find plenty of places that have better food in Penasco!
Haven't seen your posts, but I did get a chance to meet one of the owners a few months back. He wasn't rude at all, gave us some suggestions on the menu, and even talked with me about the local real estate market when I inquired. And I stand by my review on it having the best food.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Italian: Pane E Vino
Seafood: Las Palomas, and it is not the resort and El Tiburon
Tacos: El Poblano and Brissas
Mexican: Las Olas
Hot dogs: Chons and El Jefe
Smoothies: Paty's
Soft Music (Jazz style) La Cava de Penasco, Jessy is great and the views are even better!!
Party time: Boo Bar
But the best place is the beach with a pic-nic basket and a blanket!!

I wouldn't go to CAPONE's on a bet! Had more that one friend have truck stolen while there. They suspect the valets are in on it.