What can I expect to catch in December

angler

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I grew up going to Rocky Point in the late 70's through the 80's, but the last time I was down there was I think '92. I fished a little as a kid, but I knew nothing.

I'm coming back to see how it has changed and I'm bringing light surf spinning gear and a couple of fly rods. I'll be there between Christmas and New Year's. What can I expect to catch from the beach that time of year? Where are good locations to fish? I will be staying at Playa del Oro.

Thanks for any advice.

DeeDee

We were there this past January & February. Went fishing on a ponga boat, horrible, anyways we got trigger, & bottom fish (rock bass). We should be there for xmas as well, staying at PDO for 2 months. There is a guy that walks around PDO asking if you want to go fishing he charges lots. Ask Mark (seadweller) on this forum his wife sets up fishing charters at alot better price & better boats. we like to stay around #218 at PDO so come over for a drink.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I grew up going to Rocky Point in the late 70's through the 80's, but the last time I was down there was I think '92. I fished a little as a kid, but I knew nothing.

I'm coming back to see how it has changed and I'm bringing light surf spinning gear and a couple of fly rods. I'll be there between Christmas and New Year's. What can I expect to catch from the beach that time of year? Where are good locations to fish? I will be staying at Playa del Oro.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry, DeeDee just got done voting for Romney and now the brain is spent. Let me answer your question more directly and concisely. From shore in your time frame it is going to be difficult fishing. You should target flounder and IMO that is pry the most likely targted fish during this time of the year. You should be able to catch some rock bass as well. You can fish out in front of PDO and all to the Northwest. Cholla Bay offers some good fishing as well from shore. Try weighted line with scampi tail/shrimp tipped with shrimp or squid. You can also try using spoons and casting metal like Kastmasters worked slowly but it is also a lot easier to get these hung up. Essentially, winter time means bottom fishing.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
You can catch a cold if you are not careful !

Sorry, sorry, GV made me do it !!
Also catch a glimps of a 40 foot whale, that beached himself, in front of Playa Lopez....The coyotes are tearing the body apart now...I stopped by forum member Esperanzas house Sunday morning and she pointed him out.

Hey Angler
We also stay in PDO # 50 We are down about every other weekend for a couple of days but this time it may be less as we just sold our home and will be packing and moving between now an Dec 17. We will be down for the Thanksgiving weekend thing. All are welcome. Check the site for information. We do a feed on TG. a boat trip the next day and a fish fry at my place the next day if we get fish on the boat.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey Angler
We also stay in PDO # 50 We are down about every other weekend for a couple of days but this time it may be less as we just sold our home and will be packing and moving between now an Dec 17. We will be down for the Thanksgiving weekend thing. All are welcome. Check the site for information. We do a feed on TG. a boat trip the next day and a fish fry at my place the next day if we get fish on the boat.

He asked a very specific question and you answered him with this! This forum has now turned into somewhat of a joke. Im one of the biggest offenders of kidding around but when someone like the OP posts a question regarding something specific and Im the only one out of 6 replies that even comes close to giving some useful information on the subject....??????????? Seriously, it's staring to get bad. This isn't ~~~Happy~~~ asking where the best fishing spot is, this is a new poster asking very pertinent questions which are being answered with the most donkey answers. Even the two posters that tried to honestly answer the question didnt even come close to providing useful information to the OP. Please focus when you read, sometimes re-reading can help that comprehension too! OP wants to know where to fish from shore and what to expect to catch during the Christmas week into New Years. We dont need to know what PDO # you stay at and what you're eating tonight, we dont need to stop by and we dont need to know what people are catching in July. Please focus and answer the OP's questions. 1. Where to fish from shore? 2. What to expect to catch? 3. Provide other useful information. Thank you.

jerry

I think things are cooling down slower this year.I went swimming yesterday and it was nice.I also started at least seeing fish jump for the first time in a while.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Jerry has a good point - (do any of you understand the agony I had to endure as I typed that...?)

December shore fishing will probably be better this year than most due to the warmer water.

Like Joe says- curly tail grubs and shad bodies on 1/2 to 1 ounce lead heads fished near the bottom will be a good way to go, as will chunks of squid and/or shrimp on a small (#1 or 1/0) live bait hook.

Expect to catch spotted bay bass (aka rock bass), flounder, and have some 3/4 ounce silver spoons ready just in case a school of Corvina or gafftopsail Pompano happen to breeze through.

Where to fish: I always liked fishing the estuaries and the stretches of beach around them best. If you can handle a 40 minute drive- head out to La Pinta.

azfish

He asked a very specific question and you answered him with this! This forum has now turned into somewhat of a joke. Im one of the biggest offenders of kidding around but when someone like the OP posts a question regarding something specific and Im the only one out of 6 replies that even comes close to giving some useful information on the subject....??????????? Seriously, it's staring to get bad. This isn't ~~~Happy~~~ asking where the best fishing spot is, this is a new poster asking very pertinent questions which are being answered with the most donkey answers. Even the two posters that tried to honestly answer the question didnt even come close to providing useful information to the OP. Please focus when you read, sometimes re-reading can help that comprehension too! OP wants to know where to fish from shore and what to expect to catch during the Christmas week into New Years. We dont need to know what PDO # you stay at and what you're eating tonight, we dont need to stop by and we dont need to know what people are catching in July. Please focus and answer the OP's questions. 1. Where to fish from shore? 2. What to expect to catch? 3. Provide other useful information. Thank you.
I gave up asking anything on here, ever since the last time. Angler if you really want to know something your best bet is just google it.

What indignation....particularly when it comes to something you're into...fishing! The Fishing area is about the only place you have pretty much stayed on track! Yeah, the forum has pretty much turned into a joke...and you have been one of the culprits. So Mr. Pot...stop calling some other kettle black!

angler

This forum is hilarious. It usually takes me several posts in a place before I start this kind of fire.......

Questions: What is "TG?" Are the estuaries easy to find? I remember when I was younger picking the wrong road, getting my dad's f150 stuck and hitching all the way back into town. I'm guessing they are both a little easier to find now. It looks like I just follow the signs to the Mayan Palace to get to La Pinta. Is that the best way to get out there? Is there decent access?

This will be a very short visit. 3 nights after Christmas in a beach front space at PDO. We really won't have time for a charter. I don't have a space number, but look for a late model grey F-250 with an old Sunline cabover camper. And a dog with tiger stripes. And a 6'4" guy with a full beard. I love to hear about dinners and what you are drinking. I like it even more to be invited for drinks and dinner!

I am very familiar with how to surf fish, so I know the drill. I have thrown flies in most of this planet's oceans. I grew fishing and crabbing the 1st and 2nd estuaries and will start there. I will bring all kinds of conventional tackle and boxes and boxes of flies. Shiny ones are needed I gather.

Thanks for the information - both on the fishing and the nature of this forum!

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Some of you need to just shut up and go fishing. :puff:

Hopefully, I will be next weekend.

Welcome, Angler!

DeeDee

Sorry, DeeDee just got done voting for Romney and now the brain is spent. Let me answer your question more directly and concisely. From shore in your time frame it is going to be difficult fishing. You should target flounder and IMO that is pry the most likely targted fish during this time of the year. You should be able to catch some rock bass as well. You can fish out in front of PDO and all to the Northwest. Cholla Bay offers some good fishing as well from shore. Try weighted line with scampi tail/shrimp tipped with shrimp or squid. You can also try using spoons and casting metal like Kastmasters worked slowly but it is also a lot easier to get these hung up. Essentially, winter time means bottom fishing.
Mexico Joe you are obviously spent because I never said I was coming down to fish. maybe you should re-read posts before you comment. please focus!

Kenny

Mexico Joe you are obviously spent because I never said I was comind down to fish
Thats so true, but I'm thinking Joe was commenting on your reply when the question was "What can I expect to catch from the beach that time of year?".
I hope the Angler comes by to see you DeeDee. Who knows, he might even share some fish with ya.:thumbsup:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe you are obviously spent because I never said I was coming down to fish. maybe you should re-read posts before you comment. please focus!

O My Word! lol you're a hard person to talk to. Someone asked about shore fishing, your original reply was we caught fish on a boat. Do you see where Im going with this? Kenny, Im confused now, can we help this person out? Lot's of medications not being taken around here lately. :fail:

Just want to make sure, if you just follow the signs to the Mayan, you will end up at the Mayan and they won't let you fish there.
You need to keep going on the paved road past the Mayan and all the way past the 2nd estuary. Then there's a fairly major dirt road on the right with an old building next to it. If there's a hand-written sign saying the road is closed, ignore it.
Take that and you'll get down to the place the pangas launch. Good fishing there just walk a few hundred yards down the beach (toward the open ocean) and there's a little reef out there.
Search for La Pinta on this site and you'll find better directions with the exact kilometer marker to look for.

Roberto

Questions:
What is "TG?" Are the estuaries easy to find? I remember when I was younger picking the wrong road, getting my dad's f150 stuck and hitching all the way back into town. I'm guessing they are both a little easier to find now. It looks like I just follow the signs to the Mayan Palace to get to La Pinta. Is that the best way to get out there? Is there decent access?

TG, thanksgiving !!. There are two major estuaries within a short drive of Play de Oro. The first is the Marua, second is La PInta.

The Marua lies between the end of the peninsula that hosts Las Conchas and the Encanto Beach area. You could drive all the way through Las Conchas and walk to the end of the peninsula and the west side of the Marua to fish. I know people who report catching bass, corvina and flounder all along the beach at Las Conchas. Watch for pelicans diving and fish there if you can. You could go to the other side of the Marua to fish as well. Take the highway toward the Mayan and then right turn at signs for Encanto ( Estero can you help here with the signs?) The road is very good unless there has been a large rain, then you need a boat! As you approach the sea you will bear right and drive along the side of the large coastal dune on your left and the shallow estuary on the right. You will not see the ocean from this short drive. You will pass through a couple of 'guard gates' of developments and small groups of homes, but don't be put off just go through. In maybe a mile or so you will come to the end of the peninsula and the entry to the 'Sportsman Club" and the east side of the Marua. You can park there at the end of the road and walk to the right along the Marua with the best action reported close to the mouth of the Marua. A friend just reported a girl friend catching corvina and flounder there off the beach ( he did not catch anything !). If you have a dog with you please do not take it into this area as it is a bird sanctuary.

La PInta is out the highway to Mayan. a few KM past the Mayan you will see the remains of a house close to the road, on the right hand side of the road and the road is a wide road in good shape. That same road goes to to the left also to Sierra La Pinta and all the way through to Sonoita if you have 4WD and are very adventurous. You will turn to the right and go about 1/2 mile. The sea is not visable for most of the drive, but as you crest you will come to Gillispie's old hacienda and usually several pangas and maybe fishermen working the pangas. If you have 4wd you can pass to the beach, otherwise park near the hacienda on the left side and walk to the beach. There is a reef to the right about 500 yards that the locals like to fish from. You will see it at low tide, not at high. There is also a reef and a huge bed of clams to the left along the shore about 1500 yards or so.

You can fish all along the Mirador beach as well. I know people who do and catch some, mostly bass.

The weather in December is usually good with the wind being a factor for comfort. December historically shows the most rain but it is very little at that.

Have a great time.

rplarry

As usual, and we never know when, the Mexico Joe Time Bomb just went off!

Joe, take a chill pill and come down off your righteous indignation high horse. Geeez... While Angler did ask a question about fishing, he also provided other information about his history with RP, where he will be staying, and so on. I find it kind and refreshing when other generous posters offer a chance to meet or come over for a drink. It's called human decency and hospitality. Give it a try Joe and you might pick up a few friends.

And, to prove the point, Angler replied in the affirmative and with thanks to the offers and information other than perfectly staying on point as you hypocritically point out. If there is anyone who has been more mean spirited, sarcastic and has hi-jacked posts, it has been you.

Truth hurts sometimes.