What I love about Rocky Point?

DeniseAck

Tuesday I was paddleboarding off Las Conchas
I want to learn to SUP. Maybe you could give me some pointers?

Way cool sunrise across Las Conchas this morning...with a misty cloud cover, you could hardly tell where the eastern sky met the water. The fishing boats seemed to be floating in space
Anyone take pictures?

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
I want to learn to SUP. Maybe you could give me some pointers?

Anyone take pictures?
Do it, Denise! It's a more commanding view than from a kayak. Feet shoulder width apart, centered on the board. Flexed, athletic knee position. Eyes on the horizon; don't look down! Hands on the paddle (one on top and one on the shaft) such that if you hold it over your head, your elbows are at 90 degrees. Now straighten your arms to create a triangle with your arms and the part of the paddle shaft between them. Reach to the bow--don't bend your arms!--plant your blade, and torque from your core to pull the board past the paddle. Stop looking down! Eyes on the horizon! Use your paddle as a third point of balance so it's not all dependent on your feet.

To change direction quickly, use a "bow draw", placing your blade parallel to the board and in the water a couple feet outside your bow. Draw the blade gently toward the bow to turn quickly without losing momentum (if you're moving) or creating momentum (if you're still).

Kneel if you want. Straddle. Sun yourself. Do yoga. Crack a beer out of the mesh bag I'm sure you brought with you. Hop in and snorkel. Watch the horizon, and wait for a pod of dolphins to sweep by and let you in as a guest podmember. If the water's clear and glassy, watch the sand rays and Cortez Angelfish beneath you. Dive for those sand dollars and slip them into your mesh bag. Crack another beer while you're in there.