What sort of fishing rods are used while fishing in the ocean?

J

joannamoses

I am planning a trip and I wanted to know what sort of fishing rods are used while fishing in the ocean? Because there is no way ordinary lake fishing rods will work. So I would like to know brands, names or any links of where I can find these fishing rods. Also if your fishing with live bait what are the chances of hooking a shark, if a shark is hook what are the precautions you take in order from keeping yourself from harm?

Also if your fishing with live bait what are the chances of hooking a shark, if a shark is hook what are the precautions you take in order from keeping yourself from harm?
FILE0123.jpgFILE0128.jpgFILE0144.jpg

if you do catch a shark and it has teeth like these, don't put your hands near it's mouth...

Last edited:
Everybody's being a comedian today on the Forum.......

Thanks...I needed a couple of chuckles (didn't qualify as laughs)...after a 2 1/2 hour commute in to work!!!! If you understand the term "gridlock" when it comes to traffic...that's what we had on the west side of town.....I-10 was closed off at 51 Ave.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah, what was up with that? Cops shooting a guy that was gonna jump off an overpass? I heard it on my commute in and it sound like a total cluster**** on that side of town!! I don't envy you at all. I spend too many days sitting on the 101 going nowhere in a hurry.

AZ ROB

I am planning a trip and I wanted to know what sort of fishing rods are used while fishing in the ocean? Because there is no way ordinary lake fishing rods will work. So I would like to know brands, names or any links of where I can find these fishing rods. Also if your fishing with live bait what are the chances of hooking a shark, if a shark is hook what are the precautions you take in order from keeping yourself from harm?
So many comedians I went to cabellas bought a nice surf pole with an open faced reel, bought some hooks and 1oz weights, went to the fish market bought some squid and went fishing whole setup was about $50.00 total... or you can hook up with Mark and do some fishing off one of the boats and let them bait, and clean all the fish

azfish

I use a 8' and spin reel with 20lb test, walk out in low tide up to my chest with kastmasters, so the jelly fish dont get you.

In high tide (jelly fish come in) a 15' surf pole with open face (spinning reel) with 25-30lb line, 2 foot leader with squid on a hook, and a 1oz slip sinker. Also a cooler full of beer.

Bring extra lures, fishing line, jelly fish spray (if you get hit by one or you can pee on it too) and reel lube. The salt water will f up your reel.

Good luck if you have any other questions feel free to message me. To many funny people on here.:roll:

Lots of folks fishing from the shore or rocks use light or medium weight tackle similar to "lake fishing." I have caught lots of nice corvina, flounder, pompano (leatherjacks), rock bass, etc. on a 6.5 ft medium weight pole, Shimino casting reel, 10 lb line, with bait (squid) or spoons. Never caught or seen a shark. My chief worries are stepping on stingrays when wading and the spines on leatherjacks (sharp and toxic). Both can really hurt... but the pain doesn't last too long. : )

Salt water can be bad for the gear. Just rinse it off well at the end of the day and it will be ready for bass fishing season!