Where to catch triggers?

Hi everyone,

I was in RP over labor day weekend and wanted to get out an catch some triggers.

I had heard that boat had gill-netted most of the schools and you have to go out more than 10 miles to get into good numbers.

Can anyone verify? Ideally, I'd like to be able to go out less than a mile and catch some.

Thanks,

Jim

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You can catch some closer to shore, but (generally) they aren't going to be very big. The bigger ones hang out on the shallow reefs a little further out. If you want to catch trophy size triggers, go to Puerto Lobos. They seem to be everywhere down there. Rocky bottom is the key; they don't hang out on the sand flats.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ok, this information is old, since I haven't tried this method in probably 15 years, but we used to catch triggers from our inflatable float tubes about 100 yards out from competition hill. we would go into the water near the Reef Bar and row out until we were off the rocky shore. We would catch triggers and Spotted Bay Bass off the bottom, and Corvina and LeatherJacks on chrome spoons.

I have seen some triggers in close just off shore from the Vina del Mar hotel and around Whale Hill toward the Mirador... but like Stuart said they will be smaller than what you can find out at the shallower reefs...

Stuart... when we free dove in Lobos the most abundant type of fish were the Cortez Angels... they were everywhere like the triggers used to be up here...

Kenny

I'll have to agree with Robert on where to catch the biggest Triggers in close, and close to town. It would have to be the rocky section between Sandy beach and Cholla bay. I've also caught some Pargo along there, and a Leopard Grouper or two have been caught there as well. Ric even caught a little Yellowtail when we were trolling along that section when it was to rough in the open water.