who deserves some money?

• Thread starter funkaliciousbeachball
  • Start date
F

funkaliciousbeachball

Hi All - I am currently trying to find a worthy charitable cause to donate the proceeds from the raffle I will be running at my Funkalicious volleyball tournamant Oct 16th at Las Palomas. I'd like it to be a "people" cause this time (last time we gave over $3000 in cash and donations to Red & Terry's puppy rescue, but I'd like to find a people centered need for October). Some source, place, etc that serves children's needs is what I think I'm looking for.
Any suggestions with contact info? Greatly appreciated!

-Shawn

I second PintoPoint's suggestion. My wife and I work with them whenever we can and they are always appreciative. They had about 40+ children last time we were down. I'm sure they could use any help you could offer.

That is a good cause (or used to be)...when my daughter was younger, we would always drop of her clothes as she outgrew them. There was a period when the people actually working there taking care of the kids hadsn't been paid in months. O'Hare of the Rocky Point Times publicized it, and I think there was an influx of money.

Another great "cause" is one run by Mark (Seadweller) and his wife, Barb....the Adopt-A-Classroom Program. Many of the people on this Forum help out with donations and school materials. His website is http://www.rockypointclassroom.com/

One more great program is run by Rick Busa....it's a local youth sports program. He was able to get several US MLB coaches to come down earlier this year to put on a baseball clinic for the local kids.

Last edited:

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Shawn,

this is a noble offer. There are many orphanages and school children that are in need. Many programs and US citizens which focus on them. The children will be taken care of, .....

Think about the the ones in Rocky point that do not get the focus of charity and are in dear need of compassion. The Elderly. RP does not have the safety net for seniors that exists in the US. They are neglected and "Casa Hogar" has been set up by three Nuns lovingly taking in patients.

Use the funds to Buy their wish list.

Tylenol
Adult diapers
Laundry supplies
Soap
Bleach
Toilet tissues
Paper towels
Sheets
Ensure
Food vouchers from Ley.

Home is located at Corner of Josefa O. & Ave Miguel Hidalgo (13th st.)

Visit them before you make your final decision.
(10 to 12 and 3 -5) Visiting hours.

Roberto

The suggestion of buying in the US and bringing down is probably a very good one. Many things are more expensive here and some are impossible to find in Penasco. There is a way you can get a letter or something to show at the border if you are worried about being stopped. I seem to recall that Rosie did it or offered to do it, get the letter that is.

The suggestion of buying in the US and bringing down is probably a very good one. Many things are more expensive here and some are impossible to find in Penasco. There is a way you can get a letter or something to show at the border if you are worried about being stopped. I seem to recall that Rosie did it or offered to do it, get the letter that is.
Yes, we need an itemized list of the items being donated and then the City issues instructions to the border agents. The biggest problem has been that people usually wait until the last minute and then want a letter...this is difficult because the people who have to sign it aren't always readily available. Just try to give us a couple of weeks' time so we can get track down the signatures and we'll take care of it for you.

Very true...especially with some items you can pick up in bulk at Costco or SamsClub....

AZ ROB

Ok Rosy here is mine and Michelle's 3 week notice we will be down the end of August hopefully with some stuff from the list

Ok Rosy here is mine and Michelle's 3 week notice we will be down the end of August hopefully with some stuff from the list
That's great, Rob! I'll need an itemized list of what you're bringing and please let me know when you'll be crossing. Email to me at [email protected] I'll get that over to City Hall for you and then follow up to make sure it gets processed.

Rob... thanks for all the help with the wheelchairs... did Michelle tell what I have planned??? I will talk to you soon and give you more details...

I sent you a PM with the email address

Last edited:

AZ ROB

She said somthing about it I think it went somthing like blahhh blahhhh puppy blahhh blahhh puppy is eating blahhh blahhh blahh come here puppy blahhhh blahhh blahhhh phones for you blahh blaaahhhhhh lol
I did get the address I will send you pics.

Funck - There are many charitable organizations in Rocky Point that are in need of financial donations. You can also target individuals who have specific special needs.

Me and my family have recently learned of a 16 year old girl who is experiencing a life threatening situation. Her name is Jocelyn. Jocelyn's body is rejecting her kidneys. Her parents cannot afford the life supporting drugs, or the medical care that she requires. She is on a list for kidney transplant. Jocelyn is a lovely young lady, and an excellent student. She was a school friend of my son's while he was attending school in Rocky Point. It is heart breaking to me and my family to see what is happening to Jocelyn. If you are interested in helping Jocelyn, or any other children with serious medical needs, please contact Alicia or Sandy at the Rocky Point Times.

aacorp

. Very worthy cause - I suggest you give it to Mark and Barb at adopt a classroom
You can trust them completely. there is also the mens and womens rehab centers - they are very needy and easy to find

Thank you very much Nancy we appreciate your suggesting us, and Barb and I agree with you about the mens & womens rehab centers, they are very much in need of assistance and are a very worthy cause... Barb takes donations to the Womens Crisis Center on a regular basis...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Mark,
Have Barb answer this for me if you don't know. Are there any women at these shelters that are my height(6 foot)?? I can bring gently used clothing that I no longer wear. I'm sooo tall I'm afraid they are too long to be altered. I know there are women that are as wide as me..... Let me know....

Mark,
Have Barb answer this for me if you don't know. Are there any women at these shelters that are my height(6 foot)?? I can bring gently used clothing that I no longer wear. I'm sooo tall I'm afraid they are too long to be altered. I know there are women that are as wide as me..... Let me know....
Chari... we can't say that there is someone there right now that would be able to use them but who's to say that there won't be someone there in the future... any and all donations can be used and are greatly appreciated...

aacorp

i was out at the womens shelter last week and brought them tons of macramay (sp). with books - all new. This gives them something to do with their time. They have many items for sale that they make.
I am sure that they could use the clothes - women of all sizes come and go. AND they can always sell them in their little shop. I spent about $35 on some crochet items when i was there.
Saint vincent De Paud is always in need of items to sell. They are on the other side of Ocampo near the womans shelter - there are signs to get back to the building.

There are so many places and groups that need help at this time.
Thank you for donating to them
nancy
www.rpaac.org
383 1012

Funck - There are many charitable organizations in Rocky Point that are in need of financial donations. You can also target individuals who have specific special needs.

Me and my family have recently learned of a 16 year old girl who is experiencing a life threatening situation. Her name is Jocelyn. Jocelyn's body is rejecting her kidneys. Her parents cannot afford the life supporting drugs, or the medical care that she requires. She is on a list for kidney transplant. Jocelyn is a lovely young lady, and an excellent student. She was a school friend of my son's while he was attending school in Rocky Point. It is heart breaking to me and my family to see what is happening to Jocelyn. If you are interested in helping Jocelyn, or any other children with serious medical needs, please contact Alicia or Sandy at the Rocky Point Times.
Since my original post, Jocelyn is still waiting for a compatible kidney, and her health has degraded to the point that she can no longer attend school. She spends time between her home, and the Social Security hospital across the street from the Telmex office, downtown. She receives dialysis treatments on alternate days. Her medications are now provided by Social Security, but her family has other major expenses associated with sustaining her life. Students and her friends are involved in fund raising efforts.

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated by Jocelyn, her family, and all others who are working hard to provide whatever they are able to contribute toward saving this young girl's life. Various collection points are being set up around Puerto Penasco. Contributions can be made in the name of Jocelyn Alcaraz Guzman, and dropped off at the Rocky Point Times office, Reggie's at Fremont and Sinaloa, Rosy's Restaurant at No Reelection, just west of Constitution, and the restaurant at Lluvia Del Mar, on the boulevard as you enter town.