Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

With all due respect, did you witness this? My wife and I did, as I had gone out our backdoor to see what all the helicopter noise was - it was hovering somewhere around the Cholla Bay Rd but we couldn't see it as no lights were on.

However when the gatling gun revved up, then started firing it was most definitely in the direction of the Sonoran Spa. The sound of bullets hitting metal and ricocheting all over was not something we would have made up. They were using 'tracers' and there is no doubt that they were firing towards the condos - maybe a bit further down the road - but towards the condos nonetheless. They were obviously closer to us than the Bella Sirena.

This gatling gun firing continued for a couple of hours on and off, and when dawn arrived we could see the choppers. Automatic weapon fire continued on and off for another 2 hrs with sporadic small arms fire as well.

We eventually found a notice online from the US Consulate warning us to stay inside until we got the all-clear (which never came). Then I found this forum.

You can spin this anyway you would like, but the bottom line was we were in fear of our lives, and didn't have a clue what was happening. We sat on the floor of our bathroom for awhile, every time I cam out to see what was going on, firing sent me back. My wife was hysterical and I couldn't calm her down - she was convinced they were shooting at us.

The security guards were scrambling for cover as well (don't blame them as they are unarmed) but at no point in time did anyone check on us or our well-being. We later saw an elderly lady wandering around the Spa lot looking like she had 'lost' it but we didn't want to leave the condo to help her.

You can say "great job, they got the bad guys" but unless you experienced the sheer terror of having a military grade weapon firing so close to you you will never understand. It was surely as intense as any military operation in a theater of war.

Good on the military for getting them, and that apparently no tourists or workers were physically hurt - but this should have never happened the way it did - even at a time when the complexes are sparsely populated.

We have safely left Mexico, but the emotional scars will last for awhile. And by the way, if you want to call me a 'wuss' - go ahead - I'm a retired cop - and in all my years never saw anything like this and was never scared so much. If you are military trained you should be able to cope with gunships firing near you in the theater of war - but not as a tourist hoping for a quiet holiday in a safe, hassle-free destination.

Up to Wednesday morning we enjoyed ourselves, but it's not likely we will be back to Mexico anytime soon, and certainly not PP.

Take that conclusion any way you want - signing off...

The Canuck
I feel for you and your family, what a nightmare you went through.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I guess my post came off as a misunderstanding, the DEA is holding one of the suspects injured here in Tucson, News 4 reported that. By the way The Fool had his own corrido, I guess he went out the way the song says.

Once again Roberto, I apologized. I was doing ten things at once and I'm on drugs so I think it's understandable that I misread what I was rapidly reading. I went back and looked and I misread it. It was written confusingly and I misread that in 2011 Obama designated Macho to a list of people in Northern Mexico that they wanted to nab. I didn't see that in the paragraph before it said in 2011. I thought it was reporting that Obama had designated this recently and it even had a quote from his administration. MY BAD.

Dog did say that it was DEA however.

marybna

The HOA, Seaside and the insurance company are doing a great job to reassure us everything is okay. My neighbor went in and checked my unit. We have good people in Penasco. After Vietnam and cancer and being old, I only look forward to coming down in Jan to wonderful 'Rocky Point and all the good people there. We all need to reflect on the positive and not let some scummy people put down what we have all worked for so many years to make great. PROMOTE RP! STAND UP AND CHEER!
Mary

The security guards were scrambling for cover as well (don't blame them as they are unarmed) but at no point in time did anyone check on us or our well-being.

Ditto It was everyman for himself. There was not a soul around when I got up, very eerie, no security whatsoever, no one in the complex at all. I had to piece together what was happening by coming to this forum.

The takeaway from this is that resort security is a joke.

By the way when they did reappear, no one bothered to inquire how I made out.

mis2810

The security guards were scrambling for cover as well (don't blame them as they are unarmed) but at no point in time did anyone check on us or our well-being.

Ditto It was everyman for himself. There was not a soul around when I got up, very eerie, no security whatsoever, no one in the complex at all. I had to piece together what was happening by coming to this forum.

The takeaway from this is that resort security is a joke.

By the way when they did reappear, no one bothered to inquire how I made out.
In defense of the security guards, they aren't trained or equipped to deal with a situation like what happened. I'm sure they were afraid for their lives as well. They have families at home also, and I'm sure all they were thinking about was not losing their lives either.

CJ*

Word down here is that this was a very well planned, surgical strike on a very bad guy and his people that have moved into penasco. When they came in to take him, he radio'd for outside support and his other people came in with an arsenal. That is when helicopters became involved, shooting at the entourage showing up or fleeing with big ammo. To my best understanding, there was no helicopter shooting at condos or villas, only fleeing bad guys. Shooting from condos was the bad guys. The big bad guy that they got was a REALLY BAD GUY and removing him and his people from Penasco was a really really good thing for all people here, americanos and locals. I was out walking my dogs around Pinto Pt when this all went down. I am pleased they did what needed to do and did it on an off day, an off hour and ZERO innocents were harmed. Btw, it has been said that the US DEA was present (without arms) suggesting this was a very orchestrated effort. I for one, am all for getting rid of bad guys. Seems like quite a few were taken out of commission. Clap Clap. Happy to be in Cholla Bay yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I totally agree that a little humor to de-fuse the situation is great as long as it isn't aimed personally.
When tanks were rumored:cool: to be headed to Cholla, I posted,
"Tanks, We don't need no Stinking Tanks in Cholla!!
That didn't even slow the responses to this thread one bit, I am sure it was ignored.
I think it is time to get back and enjoy, our little town with some hick-ups lately. :)

CJ*

I totally agree that a little humor to de-fuse the situation is great as long as it isn't aimed personally.
When tanks were rumored:cool: to be headed to Cholla, I posted,
"Tanks, We don't need no Stinking Tanks in Cholla!!
That didn't even slow the responses to this thread one bit, I am sure it was ignored.
I think it is time to get back and enjoy, our little town with some hick-ups lately. :)
ha ha , i know, when i read tanks in cholla bay i was laughing out loud! i was in cholla the entire time and there were no cars going in or out... let alone tanks!

mis2810

24 hours later, I'm surprised, and also very happy to say that I haven't heard much negativity at all from people I know. Only one "I told you so!" today and the guy that said it is an idiot on an everyday basis anyway. Most people asked me if I had heard, and of course I said yes. I didn't try to defend or make excuses. Most said they really couldn't say anything bad, considering all the crazy shooters, pedophiles, car jackings and other everyday activities that go on in the US. That makes me happy. I'm so glad that so far I've been wrong in thinking that the incident yesterday was just going to bury our town. Is it a symptom of people becoming numb to violence in the world in general? I don't know and I really don't care. I hope RP continues to prosper, but it's not my job to convince anyone how to live their lives just as I don't want anyone telling me how to live mine. I will continue to come to RP every chance I get and let circumstances speak for themselves. The more times I go without anything happening to me, the better chance it will convince other people without me having to talk myself blue in the face.

mondone

Whitecaps
And this was a well-orchestrated effort? They can't even guard the body. It's truly amazing that no innocent people were hurt or killed.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

I feel this needs to be stated. If you are a drug addict/user YOU are partly responsible for what happened yesterday. Without users they have no business and there is no cartel.
And, if you did not drink ALCOHOL during prohibition, there would be no mafia in the US!

As you can tell he looks hung over as hell, was on vacation and did not receive a call till 5 45 am to tell him to provide police help so the workers could make there way to the condos. Side steps every question, caught completely off guard. JMHo
It was a federal action, and had nothing to do with the local, or state government.

My wife translated this here are a few key points [paraphrased]
The Mayor is very concerned about this incident and it's effect on tourism.
He said Puerto Penasco is a safe place. The problem is people coming from other parts of Mexico. They do not have the resources to check everyone coming to town.
He is proud of the job the police and military have done.
He is concerned about reprisals stemming from this event.
They will be stepping up efforts to police people coming here.
He hopes that the friends of the people killed will think twice about coming here.
Blah, blah, blah! The local administration has no authority over the Sinaloa Cartel. It's the other way around. However, tourists are basically safe. Fortunately, there have been on innocent casualties in any of these altercations.