Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
All the Phoenix local channels ran a story the day of the event, basically the same story on all stations. Now they have moved on to the continuing USA daily violence stories.
Don't get me wrong, most of me does not want them to start a panic about how unsafe it is in Mexico, like they always do particularly before a major holiday, but they got this story and . . . . WTF???

geezer

i'm sure my kids didn't see the story, they don't live in Phoenix, the grandkids are flying in to Phoenix. They live up North and don't keep tabs on stuff that isn't right in their newspaper front page. I think I will have to call the kids and tell them, let it be their call of course....

Rhino

would you bring your grandkids down here....? I'm saying we shouldn't and my wife is saying we should. I don't think our children are following the news, so they don't know this happened, and we haven't told them. We should inform them, right ? The plane tickets to Phoenix have already been purchased, but what could be a worse circumstance than this?
Yes, I obviously would and and am the day after Christmas. My kids and grandkids love the beach and always enjoy Rocky Point; I don't expect this time to be any different.

Raf
Raphael's water truck was stolen and driven into the desert and is now in pretty bad shape. Not known if it is related to the other events.
I didn't use the truck's owners name for his privacy, it was stolen and found abandoned at one of the roundabouts.
Rumors abound as to why it was left and caught fire.
Yes it is pretty trashed, will see if it gets back on the road again.

geezer

okay the cheerleading for rocky point is a little creepy.....a couple military helicopters came in and fired into a condo complex, there was a machine-gun car chase through the streets, trucks blown up, bodies were stolen. Banks were closed... I would think that could make the beach seem not so fun

Yes, I obviously would and and am the day after Christmas. My kids and grandkids love the beach and always enjoy Rocky Point; I don't expect this time to be any different.
Kinda like flying after 9/11. Couldn't be any safer right after.
However, you should expect more military and additional security in the coming months well into 2014. Might be a little unnerving for some.

Eric

okay, my thinking is that the guy whose body was stolen is actually still alive and somewhere in Penasco which means there is danger of another firefight....am i correct in thinking this? I don't want my grandkids coming down if this is the case. I'm not trying to say "Yay Rocky Point" when obviously we're in the middle of a war...I don't care how much money people have invested here, if it's foolish, I don't want to bring young children into this situation...what's your opinion guys?
would you bring your grandkids down here....? I'm saying we shouldn't and my wife is saying we should. I don't think our children are following the news, so they don't know this happened, and we haven't told them. We should inform them, right ? The plane tickets to Phoenix have already been purchased, but what could be a worse circumstance than this?
I live in RP. Im sure your grandchildren go to school in the USA. Your not going to not let them attend school because their are mass shootings at many USA high schools. In the USA they are killing kids in RP they are not.

GV Jack

Snorin God
From one Geezer to another, calling and letting them know is a wise choice. I would bring mine down and will but not until school's out.

If you're going to go around looking over your shoulder, you are wasting your time and money. Being aware of your surroundings is wise,
but letting the gangs run your life is not worth it. Relax, have fun and enjoy the good Mexican people there. That's what I do and will continue to do.

But that's just me. Nobody messes with the GV Desperado, especially with my brick laden purse.

I was just outside of Sonoyta on the highway to Rocky Point when 2 or 3 cop cars, plus a army truck whizzed past me at high speed coming from Sonoyta. I did not see them again until we hit Rocky Point. At the place on the way out of town where the army checkpoint used to be.

What seemed unusual was, it looked like a barricade. There were piles of cop cars, both the army and the cops were armed to the teeth, with automatic weapons lots of guys there. It looked like they were waiting for someone. it's the first time I have seen cops heavily armed as well as the army.

I wonder what was going down.

This is my 1st post and I apologize for not knowing the procedure, but I am looking for anyone going down to RP. I have a shower mixer part (3"x2") that I need to get down to my contractor. If anyone is going down in the next day or 2, please let me know.
Thank you.

This is my 1st post and I apologize for not knowing the procedure, but I am looking for anyone going down to RP. I have a shower mixer part (3"x2") that I need to get down to my contractor. If anyone is going down in the next day or 2, please let me know.
Thank you.

You may want to repost in the general forum.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thank you.
I have a friend just went back to Phx today and is coming back tomorrow afternoon.He lives in Central Phx maybe I can't connect you two?

geezer

and why does the government allow the guy they want to kill to be part owner and a resident at a tourist condo complex? Why is this wise to promote tourism? How is this a safe situation for our grand children? Can I get the official list of which hotels have cartel owners? It seems the Federal Gov has this information, right?