Wierd scene coming into Rocky Point today.

ewesea

Yeah, they also shot a wolf once from a helicopter too. LOL!!

Comparing a man with a rifle shooting out of a helicopter is just a little different from a Blackhawk unloading on a populated tourist zone, don't ya think?
Actually Rick, in the second link it states they fired upon as they were approaching a school zone. I am going to say this is a valid comparison. A tourist zone at 5:30 am, compared to a US School Zone. Equal gravity in both of these situations. Also, I believe in the incident in Bella Sirena the suspects were heavily armed and firing upon the helicopter. The suspects were placing the general population in danger from my perspective, as were the suspects in the incident cited in Texas placing children in the school zone in danger.

Personally I don't give a hoot who is running this town, or if a cartel guy was living at the Bella Serena. I'm actually cool with that. This incident was initiated by the military in a very highhanded way, not by the cartel guy, or one cartel against another in a turf war. the whole "war on drugs" thing is a farce in my opinion.

I just don't want to be caught in the crossfire.

I don't pretend to know how things work in Mexico, maybe this guy is a "community leader" for all I know.

Rick S

Personally I don't give a hoot who is running this town, or if a cartel guy was living at the Bella Serena. I'm actually cool with that. This incident was initiated by the military in a very highhanded way, not by the cartel guy, or one cartel against another in a turf war. the whole "war on drugs" thing is a farce in my opinion.

I just don't want to be caught in the crossfire.

I don't pretend to know how things work in Mexico, maybe this guy is a "community leader" for all I know.

You got that right...exactly right.

That 'crossfire' was about a 3 mile area this time. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that it could be so big of an area. I always thought of it as an area between 2 people, or 2 cars. Guess not... :(

Last edited:
Well I had no choice. My monthly stipend to keep my mouth shut has not arrived and Navidad rapidly approaches. Yes, I sold out to you know who, so keep your doors locked and cat inside my friend. We are going to the mattresses over this!
Don Corleone: We have known each other many years, but this is the first time you've come to me for counsel or for help. I can't remember the last time you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And you feared to be in my debt.

Bonasera: I didn't want to get into trouble.

Don Corleone: I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. So you didn't need a friend like me. Now you come and say "Don Corleone, give me justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me "Godfather." You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder - for money.

You got that right...exactly right.

That 'crossfire' was about a 3 mile area this time. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that it could be so big of an area. I always thought of it as an area between 2 people, or 2 cars. Guess not... :(
Michael Corleone: [yells] IN MY HOME! IN MY BEDROOM! Where my wife sleeps... and my children play with their toys.

mis2810

Well I had no choice. My monthly stipend to keep my mouth shut has not arrived and Navidad rapidly approaches. Yes, I sold out to you know who, so keep your doors locked and cat inside my friend. We are going to the mattresses over this!
Omg, you guys have me LMAO!

Kenny

<Bunch of deleted stuff here>

I wouldn't think of it, after all, Stuart said this just today
"If your posts in this thread have been deleted, I don't want to hear about it. And I may not have gotten them all yet. They were NOT on topic and nothing but a bitch session between members. Get over yourselves, please.
so maybe it's you that needs defending and again, I wouldn't think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

yellow

Newb here...Glad to find this online community. Thanks for all the info everyone!!

I was in the fish market Wed morning at 10am having breakfast at the Point over the ocean patio...enjoying the birds..noticed several helicopters flying around the west side of Sandy Beach along with a medium sized fixed wing military plane. Being naive tourist/americans we figured there was just an exercise with the military/police taking place. Didn't think anything of it. Looking back, I should have taken it more seriously I guess. The market was a ghost town...we were the only gringo's around. Seemed kinda strange, but chalked it up to it being Wed before Xmas. Anyways, we planned to head back to Phoenix after breakfast and were greeted by a heavily armed checkpoint on the way out of town. (Below) We were questioned by a soldier who had a thick accent, so I couldn't make out his spanish, but I said 'Phoenix?' and he said aggressively.."GOOO" and pointed down the road. The helicopter followed the road back to Sonoyta while we were driving, like we were following it. Once in Sonoyta, roughly 11:30-12, the chopper did a few circles slightly NW of 'the turn' past the gas stations and we continued to the boarder.

At the boarder we were greeted by about 50-75 military soldiers all with what looked like HK-308's and plenty of ammo. There were too many of them so I was afraid to take a photo. We waited ~5 mins until they cleared the road to let us through. Got the usual interrogation from the US boarder guy and went on our way. Was thankful to be back in the US as I figured something was going down, but didn't know what until I got home...

I've been educating myself on the cartel action ever since and find it intriguing as to how they run there business. I didn't feel like we were in danger at any time, yet knowing how close we were (although not as close as others here) it makes you think twice about the environment. The fact that PP seems to be heavily involved with the cartels (as pointed out here as well as other sources online) is discomforting. I've read the whole town/police/everyone could be on the payroll. Makes you wonder if/when they would be desperate enough to turn on an innocent tourist. Are all the vendors at the fish market involved? Someone has to buy all that crap and it's all the same stuff in each store.. Can they make a call if you blow them off/not buy from them; to have you f'd up on the way out of town? Just some preliminary and probably unfounded concerns.. Anyways, it was an enlightening experience outside of the country. Thought I would share my experience/thoughts....Movie quality...that shit is real sometimes. ;-) Enjoy, but stay safe!

Attachments

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if/when they would be desperate enough to turn on an innocent tourist. Are all the vendors at the fish market involved? Someone has to buy all that crap and it's all the same stuff in each store.. Can they make a call if you blow them off/not buy from them; to have you f'd up on the way out of town?

Now that's funny!

Sandy Beach is essentially a Gringo enclave. It is financed and owned mostly by Americans, and other gringos who have invested substantial amounts their hard earned money here.

Up until now, at least for me it felt like Sandy beach was "a world apart" that idea has now been shattered. Dead Bodies on the road, guys in apartments with machine guns and grenade launchers, helicopter gunships peppering the area. cars on fire. It does look like a scene out of a war zone.

This was either a major tactical error, or they are sending the message that they don't give a shit about the contribution of the Gringo community to Puerto Penasco.
Do you think it could have possibly been the other way around? Could Mexican authorities, both federal and local, have carried out this operation the way they did because they wanted to send a message to Americans in Puerto Penasco: That we will not tolerate cartel members moving into your neighborhoods, nor will we allow activity by the cartel in your areas and we will do everything to keep you safe from them.

Or might have authorities sent a message the other way, in the interest of protecting Puerto Penasco's tourism money by telling the cartel do not operate in this town and sure as hell don't be operating out of where the Americans reside. That's the city's major source of revenue and we're going to keep it that way.

Just reading this over again. Not doubting you Rick, just a question. So this Rolls was in the parking lot at the Sonoran Sea and whoever was driving was talking to the two men like nothing was happening at all during all this shooting? The two guys outside the car don't seem to be concerned at the sounds of gunfire - by their body language. Just curious from your viewpoint, what you think?
I stayed at the Sonoran Sea and can confirm I saw the silver Rolls Royce in the parking lot 11/1 through 11/5 - it was practically the only other car in the lot and was parked backwards in the east side handicap spot the entire time.

I ran into the owner getting in the elevator. I had a full cart of luggage and he was with what seemed to be his wife. He was incredibly courteous and offered to fit me in with the two of them. I declined, and he left in the Rolls. Don't think he could be connected in any way - Rolls had Phoenix plates. He seemed non-threatening and polite.