WTF(ruit) was THAT?

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Wtf

Okay, here is the oldest border story. When Mom's house was finished in 1974 or 1975, her brother and his wife tried bringing a used stove and refrigerator down. Mom and I had been there for 15 days cleaning the construction mess up, then had to go to the border to renew our visas. We crossed over, had a cheeseburger-which was our habit then...to have red meat the minute we got back in the US...and there was her brother, a former fighter pilot and Astronaut trainee turned commercial pilot. You want those massive egos in the sky; at the border, not so much. Well he had upset the guards soooo much, there was no way they were even considering letting them across in the pickup. Long story short, HE decided Mom and I should wait for the shift change and bring the pickup in ourselves...but the word had been passed on. Not a chance.... Mom and I ended up offloading the appliances in Ajo for storage and spending the night at an old-folks home that back then, to us, was very scary. No change of clothes, nothing. Next morning, even tho the truck was covered by a tarp, we were simply waved thru. Coulda brought em. Mom's brother? Happily at the house, fishing and drinking Tecate. I don't think Mom talked to him that day.

M

m4shawn

If you follow the Mexican laws on importing, just as the USA has on importing there is very little you can cross. In Mexico you can make a small donation and get your items across the border. .
rikyt: I would be happy to make a SMALL donation to avoid hassle, but how does this work?
Also - I see many of you advising me to simply play by the rules...... but that's most of the problem - WHAT are these rules? I'd rather fill out whatever forms, make whatever declarations I need to if it means no stress and a small fee, but no one seems to know just what these laws and rules are (something about $50 or less per person maybe?) Does it matter if you can prove the items you are bringing in are NOT for sale, or is it irrelevant?

Customs: Entering Mexico

U.S. and Canadian citizens bringing gifts to friends and relatives in Mexico should be prepared to demonstrate to Mexican customs officials the origin and the value of the gifts. U.S. and Canadian citizens entering Mexico by the land border can bring in gifts with a value of up to $50.00 duty-free, except for alcohol and tobacco products. Those entering Mexico by air or sea can bring in gifts with a value of up to $300.00 duty-free.

Tourists are allowed to bring in their personal effects duty-free. According to customs regulations, in addition to clothing, personal effects may include one camera, one video cassette player, one personal computer, one CD player, 5 DVDs, 20 music CDs or audiocassettes, 12 rolls of unused film, and one cellular phone. Any tourist carrying such items, even if duty-free, should enter the "Merchandise to Declare" lane at the first customs checkpoint. The tourist should be prepared to pay any assessed duty. Failure to declare personal effects routinely results in the seizure of the goods as contraband, plus the seizure of the vehicle in which the goods are traveling for attempted smuggling. The recovery of the seized vehicle involves the payment of substantial fines and attorney’s fees.

Mexican customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Mexico of items such as trucks, and autos, trailers, antiquities, medications, medical equipment, business equipment, etc. It is advisable to contact the Mexican Embassy or one of the Mexican consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements.

U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling to Mexico with goods intended for donation within Mexico, or traveling through Mexico with goods intended for donation in another country, should be aware of Mexican Customs regulations prohibiting importation of used clothing, textiles, and other used goods into Mexico. These regulations apply even to charitable donations. Individuals or groups wishing to make such donations should check with Mexican Customs for the list of prohibited items, and should hire an experienced customs broker in the U.S. to ensure compliance with Mexican law. The charitable individual or group, not the customs broker, will be held responsible for large fines or confiscation of goods if the documentation is incorrect. The website for Mexican Customs, or “ Aduanas,” is in Spanish only. Mexican authorities require that all international transit through Mexico of persons and merchandise destined for Central or South America be handled only at the Los Indios Bridge located south of Harlingen, Texas on Route 509. The American Consulate in Matamoros is the closest consulate to Los Indios Bridge and may be contacted for up-to-date information by calling 011-52-868-812-4402, ext. 273 or 280, or by checking their website, which lists in English the most common items prohibited from entry into Mexico. Additional customs information can be found on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

A

azbeachboy

Two weeks ago I drove right through with a refrigerator in the back of my truck. I was sure glad to see a green light. I always hide my beer on the bottom of my ice chest. In almost forty years of crossing the border I've only had one complete search of my car. I had five cartoons of smokes and six bottles of booze {I was stocking my new trailer}. He let me keep them but he was looking for drugs or guns.

Well, well...I leave you guys alone for a few days and a whole new controversy kicks up. Shawn, as has been said already the problem here is that the balls were in boxes. I go out my way when coming back with new sh...stuff to remove packaging and tags to avoid this same problem.

I for one am not offended by your use of certain terminology (knowing we aren't in church and all) but when a gringo says that Mexicans "should welcome every American penny being spent in their poverty rife country in a bad economy" it sets my meter into the red zone.

Forty years ago I had a boss who told me I "should be grateful" he gave me a job. While I am always grateful I have work, it behooved him to have a good, hard-working employee. As having a successful tournament behooves you...

There is something distasteful about those who expect...or worse yet...demand gratitude. The act of contributing should be done for its own sake and should be its own reward.

Stepping down off soapbox...

dmcauley

If you bring more than 400 dollars worth of imports to the states you will pay taxes unless you file ahead of the event.
Take a hint the next time and bring a couple of extra balls for the aduanas and offer 50 bucks.
Imagine how many times a day they hear about charites and such. The Mexican economy is having problems with all the garage sale items brought in every day. They buy a t-shirt at a sale for fifty cents and sell it in Mexico for up to 5 bucks. Stop at one of the vendors on the new Cholla rd if you don't believe this.

fasteddy

I think his point is now is not the time for Mexico to discourage Americans from coming down to enjoy RP and spend dollars with petty issues.
Not sure Shawn was demanding anything from what I read, maybe a little
understanding to a guy that is trying to bring down some dollars to a city/town that could use the help.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree that was Shawn's point. My point is that its too easy to make a statement like that without realizing that it's offensive to Mexicans and a devisive factor. Right now lots of towns need an economic boost. Rocky Point isn't alone in that. I still think that to expect (even if one isn't demanding it) gratitude at the border is unrealistic.

fasteddy

I can't speak for Shawn and what his intent was, however
if I was a Mexican citizen and my people were at the border doing things to turn away/hassle people that want to come down and spend money on stuff I'm trying to sell, that I would find offensive.

Hi Eddy, I don't like to know that people are being hassled on their way south...or north, for that matter. The guys working the border are no more "my people" than are the officers guarding the gate going north. Some are good and some are a**es. Sometimes the mood is right, sometimes not. That I find one statement offensive doesn't mean I agree with what is sometimes done at the border. But truly...(self-)righteous indignation does seem to be an American trait when inconvenienced.

fasteddy

Be real careful when you generalize the traits of an entire country/race, we all know the generalizations of the Irish, Italians, Mexicans, French, Jews, Muslims etc. If you have had some bad expirences from Americans that is unfortunate but as you stated there are jerks on both sides of the fence.

My reference to "my people" was a way of indicating "my team", "my countrymen". I do consider the people on the north side of the border to be "my people". They represent me and my country, the same as our soldiers across the world do unfortunatley a few bad ones make a lot of good ones look bad.

Rosey, it has been great "talking" with you and everyone else. This is Shawn's thread and he can explain his position better than I.

I think we can all agree that people (no matter what country) spending monies in Mexico right now is a good thing for the Mexican people and let's hope both sides do what's best to make that happen.

I'm hoping to be down on the 26th-28th. I am going to try and visit Jim at the Cameltoe, never met him but would like to see his place. Maybe we can meet for a cold one!
Ed

I stopped in at the bar after the RCPM concert. Jim wasn't there but I got to take pics of folks dancing and having a great time. Until these elections pass I'll be really busy, but there are only two weeks left...hope we win.

Way back in 96 when we made our (fulltime) move to Rocky Point, we made many trips across the boarder with all types of goodies. But we also had our secret weapon. This may not work for everyone... but if you have a dog preferably a big dawg, and if it's a black dawg that's even more the better.

We had two Greyhounds and the only time they looked at what we had was when we didn't have the dogs with us.

It seems that people down here are affraid of dogs of any size, and for good reason due to the amount of dogs that roam loose on the streets. Be sure to have your pets medical records with you... it's kind of like a passport for them to get back into the states.

M

m4shawn

..but when a gringo says that Mexicans "should welcome every American penny being spent in their poverty rife country in a bad economy" it sets my meter into the red zone.

There is something distasteful about those who expect...or worse yet...demand gratitude.
Been gone - in PP actually for the last 5 days - went by Camel Toe Cantina but alas, no Jim! Maybe I'll catch you next time.

Rosy - appreciate your feistiness and loyalty to the Mexican people; it's admirable.

But what I said was:
"Seems really arbitrary and doesn't make sense, esp for a country that should welcome every American penny being spent in their poverty rife country in a bad economy --- why would they mess with Americans bringing business into their country?"

Just semantics? No, not really at all. You interpreted what I said through your own emotional filter and twisted it. I did not say that "Mexicans" should welcome my dollar - I said the country.. as in the government... the ones in charge of decisions that affect the economy, and hence, the Mexican people whom are the beneficaries or victims of those policies and the recipients of your affection. I'd like to help Mexicans in my small way by bringing dollars into the Mexican economy past the Lukeville border.

FastEddy said a couple things very well in my absence - and I thank you Eddy! What you said -- yea, that's what I meant.

And Rosy, my goodness - am I "demanding gratitude" like an ugly American when I object to being extorted or wrongly imposed an import tax on items that are coming right back to America in 72 hours?
The convoluted red tape impuesto practices of the border are hardly part of the "rich culture of the proud Mexican people" or something; I didn't insult the fabric of the Mexican spirit or some nonsense by objecting to arbitrary taxation. I'll gripe about that in America too.
And is it arrogant for those charitable souls who bring in clothing and food to hope to not be gouged by burdensome and potentially restrictive fees? Is that demanding gratitude? Geesh, that sounds like just wishing to NOT be punished to me.

Having said all this, I have learned a bit this week from this forum and others in PP about the way impuestos work and what to do; I would not have been so shocked and indignant had I known the rules (which do seem to change constantly, as witnessed by the lack of consensus in answers).

I feel quite foolish for not having a clue about the new balls or the importation game - I have been educated.

Still don't know exactly what the rules are or how to follow them. Aggravating.

My most important message to you though Rosy was: I'm a fan of the Mexican people --- not so much the beuraucracy and government of Mexico.
And that's completely different. I don't appreciate being colored as arrogant, possibly racist. I just work as hard for my money as I am sure you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shawn, I don't consider you arrogant or racist. And perhaps I should've done a better job of expressing my thoughts on your comment without making you feel that I was making a judgement about you.

In another post I said I didn't think your intent was a negative one.

What happened to you at the border is frustrating, and I think we can all relate. And yes, you got several good suggestions that might help you make future crossings less problematic.

I still think the original comment that I took exception to was enough to make any Mexican uncomfortable, but I should've not made you think I consider you an Ugly American. I do not. And, by the way...I am grateful when you or others come here and even more so when you bring your events with you.

As to your explanation...no doubt this country does welcome every American penny, yet it's unrealistic to expect that to be evident in the treatment one gets at the border when bringing in a bunch of new merchandise in original packaging.

We live, we learn...

M

m4shawn

I still think the original comment that I took exception to was enough to make any Mexican uncomfortable..
I'm thinking had I phrased my statement better I wouldn't have set your meter into the red, yea?

Perhaps I should have said something like: "Seems really arbitrary and doesn't make sense that the Mexico government should allow a policy at the border that confuses and discourages business, when every American penny being spent in their poverty rife country in a bad economy is precious."

Better, or still insulting?

Aw...if I was feeling bad before about giving you a hard time, you've just won me over by being so eager to learn. Better. Thank you for being so dam...darned agreeable. I look forward to meeting you in person sometime soon!