Yellowtail catch in Lobos

I was told by my demo contractor. A guy named Tom said he caught a lot of yellowtail last week in Lobos, gave my demo guy some and now I hope to go over for dinner.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I was told by my demo contractor. A guy named Tom said he caught a lot of yellowtail last week in Lobos, gave my demo guy some and now I hope to go over for dinner.

Pretty sure Tom is the one that you contact for a fishing charter out of Lobos.

Ah Ha! Now we are getting somewhere. I will track him down. 20 years ago there was a guy named Rocky who lived in Lobos and took people fishing.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Tom (if I'm not mistaken) has an older Baja Bayrunner. It's a 23 ft. aluminum center console. I used to own one exactly like it and fished it for several years. Tom's "boneyard" in the backyard is also quite interesting.

Tom (if I'm not mistaken) has an older Baja Bayrunner. It's a 23 ft. aluminum center console. I used to own one exactly like it and fished it for several years. Tom's "boneyard" in the backyard is also quite interesting.
You can Google Puerto Lobos Fishing and that will be Tom Alber's web page,Leigh

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
We fished Lobos the weekend of Jan 3-5 and caught a few small firecracker yellows, a ton of gold spots, and enough bonito to have a full day of light tackle fun.

Shawno, Ryan and their wives were also down there and they also landed some yellows, and a decent 40 pound gulf grouper and a couple sardineros...

I'm going to try and pull another trip together the next time my work schedule lines up with the weather forecast - the yellows should only get bigger between now and April.

jerry

J: I gotta believe we are talking about the same catch, through a round a bout coincidence.
For sure..they stayed at the Penthouse at Santo Tomas condo building and went down and fished with Tommy and a couple other guys...tommy is in landscape construction related trade in Phoenix.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
For sure..they stayed at the Penthouse at Santo Tomas condo building and went down and fished with Tommy and a couple other guys...tommy is in landscape construction related trade in Phoenix.

Jerry! What are your plans for February? Looks like middle Feb might work out for Lobos.

jerry

Well, I just scored some yellowtail fillets. Many thanks to all.
I had some of it the Thunder Brewery in Tucson Smoked for my friend...just great...they gilled them on Toms boat and kept them in the live well....it keeps cold water pumping through them and you don't get as much of a bloodline.....

P1020316.jpg P1020346.jpg P1020348.jpg P1020348.jpg I just spent two days with Tom at Puerto Lobos. Definitely for hard-core fishermen (and women). The house is, well, "rustic" with everyone sleeping on cots outside or inside if the weather is cold. I was lucky, he had a cancellation and I filled in the spot for two of the usual four days (more like 3.5 depending on conditions). Since I was her in PP I was able to dash down to Puerto Lobos on short notice. The man definitely knows his stuff. His web site has lots of information. http://www.mediabyjohn.com/lobos/ He feeds you decent food, bring your own beer for a gathering around the fire at the end of the fishing day and everyone scratching, belching and telling lies. All of those typical guy activities.

In two days the boat had 15 YTs ranging from a small one at 7 lbs. to the largest at 13 lbs. We had about 25 skipjacks, 30+ bass (spotted and barred), a handful of barracuda, and even an octopus.