Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I just cured myself of driving while talking on my cell! I am still shaking!!!!!!!!!!!! I was making a left onto Osborn from 19th ave and d#$@ near ran over a pedestrian crossing Osborn! He must have been obscured by the pillar between the windshield and the door, it's thick. I run up on the sidewalk and d#$@ near took out the stoplight! Thank God for 33x12.50 mud tires!!!!! Just thinking about what could have happened makes me nauseous!!!! No more talking and driving for me!!!!!!!!!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Now just cure the not wearing a seatbelt thing and you will have made me a happy girl. My brother died at 17 from a rollover in a CJ7...4 people in the Jeep. All the others were wearing seat belts...not a scratch...out brother, Joe, died instantly....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I know, I know... It is just soo uncomfortable. It cuts my neck. I have tried adjusting it and buying the sheepskin thing. NADA! I do wear the bottom part tho! Doesn't that count? Please?

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
I know, I know... It is just soo uncomfortable. It cuts my neck. I have tried adjusting it and buying the sheepskin thing. NADA! I do wear the bottom part tho! Doesn't that count? Please?
Yes, it is better than nothing, but can also hurt you to just be held at the waist. What do you do when you are 4-wheeling? Just the lap belt? Not nagging, just want people to be safe. I told each of my kids when they began driving that if they promised me they would always wear theirs, I would promise to always wear mine...can't do much more than that.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You're supposed to wear seat belts while 4-wheeling, too? Oops! I know I shouldn't kid about this but when I wear it wheeling, it locks up when I go over big bumps and rocks and stuff. Then I have to unbuckle and rebuckle. I wear the bottom part. It's just easier. I know it's dangerous but I don't rock race. The time I went over, I just flopped it slow motion. Sheryl, I wear it on Colorado shelf roads even if it's a pain 'cause one slip and it's thousands of feet down. It probably wouldn't matter at that height but I try to wear it then, anyway. I know I gotta find a solution because now you can be pulled over for not wearing them and I already gave the town of Buckeye 38 bucks for it. I promise you, Sheryl, that I'll try to figure something out.........

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
You're supposed to wear seat belts while 4-wheeling, too? Oops! I know I shouldn't kid about this but when I wear it wheeling, it locks up when I go over big bumps and rocks and stuff. Then I have to unbuckle and rebuckle. I wear the bottom part. It's just easier. I know it's dangerous but I don't rock race. The time I went over, I just flopped it slow motion. Sheryl, I wear it on Colorado shelf roads even if it's a pain 'cause one slip and it's thousands of feet down. It probably wouldn't matter at that height but I try to wear it then, anyway. I know I gotta find a solution because now you can be pulled over for not wearing them and I already gave the town of Buckeye 38 bucks for it. I promise you, Sheryl, that I'll try to figure something out.........
Chari...check out this link.....

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seat-belt-extender.html

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Shari
Have you looked at the racing type with two sholder straps ? WHAT'S YOUR LIFE WORTH ?
Your friend Bill

WoW Chari... be careful... we are looking forward to seeing you down here more often... so don't go running anyone over or hurting yourself... maybe you should look into one of those Billy Mays hands free cellphone thingies for your jeep...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
As one who commutes nearly 40 miles each way to work everyday in the Valley, I see it all. The single biggest thing I see? People talking on their cell phones, way too distracted, and not paying attention. It's VERY scary! On any Valley freeway, expect traffic to go from 70 mph to a total stop in a heartbeat. People follow way too close and I see some bad rear-enders every... single... day.

I'm not going to say I never talk on my cell while driving, BUT, I use a hands-free Bluetooth earpiece. I enable the Bluetooth to my phone before I even start the car. Both hands stay on the wheel and my focus stays on the road. Actually, my focus stays more on the drivers around me. It's the ones that have a cell phone in one hand stuck in their ear and a Big Gulp cup in the other hand that scare the bejezuz outta me! Add a couple screaming kids in the back seat and it's the perfect storm for a good wreck!

Chari - glad you didn't take out that poor pedestrian! Be careful out there!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
See how many hearts you would break? And I am certain we are just the tip of the friend list for you! Thanks for the promise...I will hold you to it!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I tried a headset once in the Jeep but it is just too noisy to hear, what with the soft top flapping and my big tires singing away. i can barely hear on the phone. Nope, I'm done talking on the cell while driving. If you, my loved ones, call and get my voice mail, I'll call you back when I'm stopped. If I would have hit that guy, I would have never been the same.....I can't live with that.......

I tried a headset once in the Jeep but it is just too noisy to hear, what with the soft top flapping and my big tires singing away. i can barely hear on the phone. Nope, I'm done talking on the cell while driving. If you, my loved ones, call and get my voice mail, I'll call you back when I'm stopped. If I would have hit that guy, I would have never been the same.....I can't live with that.......
Chari... that thingie I was talking about uses your radio to transmit the voice of the person you are talking to... but your idea to call people back after you are parked is the best...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've never heard of a thingee that puts your caller's voice on the radio. I could hear it then. That Jeep has 6 speakers! Other people driving down the road could hear it. too! LOL! Nope, I'll just TWP. (talk while parked)

janetandclint

Well Known Member
You are lucky in Buckeye that it was only $35 fine, in Bayard, NM that we drive through, it is $75 fine to be in a car without a seatbelt.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I seem to recall reading that driving and talking on a cell phone equated to DWI in terms of accident probability.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I've never heard of a thingee that puts your caller's voice on the radio. I could hear it then. That Jeep has 6 speakers! Other people driving down the road could hear it. too! LOL! Nope, I'll just TWP. (talk while parked)
The guy that did all the tv commercials.....orange cleaner, etc....and died several months ago (they're still running his commercials)...advertised that "thingee"....

I don't recall if this is the same device he advertised.....
https://www.jupiterjack.tv/?cid=703068

Last edited: