Sting Ray Bites

Kenny

OK old local cure take a raw onion cut in half put on grill sear and while hot put on sting ray bite they say it works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Their most always around to some degree but they come into the flat sandy area's (like the north end of La Pinta) in droves to spawn in the spring.

Last edited:

Kenny

Found this surfing the web.

"High voltage, low amperage cure

Brought this subject up around the dinner table today and was told that snake bites and sting ray action can be counter acted by holding a spark plug to the area and jolting yourself repeatedly. For the conversation I suggested that if the spark plug worked than a Tazer would be even more effective.

Something about the shock affecting the inter-muscular reaction of the venom.

Anybody else heard of this? Very curious since my last encounter was dealt with thorough very hot water and dark rum."

Brought this subject up around the dinner table today and was told that snake bites and sting ray action can be counter acted by holding a spark plug to the area and jolting yourself repeatedly. For the conversation I suggested that if the spark plug worked than a Tazer would be even more effective.

Anybody else heard of this? Very curious since my last encounter was dealt with thorough very hot water and dark rum."
never been hit by a ray in the 10 years I have been coming down. But the I like the dark rum idea :)

jerry

Havi g gotten a few jolts in Turkey in 76 I can tell you electricity does improve your memory

Landshark

Kenny, haven't heard of this treatment & not saying it wouldn't work but got a great visual of some poor SOB with his foot in a bucket of scalding water moaning from the pain. "Hey, pull your foot out for a minute." He does and you taser the hell out of it and ask him, "How do you feel now?"

Kenny

Kenny, haven't heard of this treatment & not saying it wouldn't work but got a great visual of some poor SOB with his foot in a bucket of scalding water moaning from the pain. "Hey, pull your foot out for a minute." He does and you taser the hell out of it and ask him, "How do you feel now?"
Ha, I didn't recommend it, I just found it out on the net and thought it might get a laugh or two and maybe a quip or three.

We stay at PDO and were there from 5/21 - 6/1. We did not see a single ray, nor anyone getting hit by one, and never have in the 17 years we've been coming down. Could this have something to do with the fact that the Mirador beach is "rocky"?? Just to be on the safe side, I usually do the sting ray shuffle anyway!

mondone

Whitecaps
We stay at PDO and were there from 5/21 - 6/1. We did not see a single ray, nor anyone getting hit by one, and never have in the 17 years we've been coming down. Could this have something to do with the fact that the Mirador beach is "rocky"?? Just to be on the safe side, I usually do the sting ray shuffle anyway!
Beachgirl, the sting rays and jellies have been crazy here in Encanto the past 2 weeks. We have had several people stung and having to go to the Red Cross clinic for treatment this week.

rplarry

Yes, the reason you probably haven't encountered a ray in the Mirador is that has so much rock and reef. Stingrays like a sandy bottom where they can flip sand over themselves and camouflage themselves for hunting.

Stepped on one in Las Conchas about 20 years ago. Had no idea how to treat it. A family staying at one of the houses next to ours came running down with a bag of ice. I kept ice on it for about 20 minutes until the pain was so excruciating that I had to go to the Red Cross. Those people, I found out, gave me the worst treatment I could have gotten for that wound. I needed the hottest water I could stand, and they gave me ice!

Most people will tell you, even those who have had terrible injuries in their life, that a stingray sting is one of the most painful experiences they have ever been through. I, from experience, completely agree.

Shuffle, shuffle, and then shuffle some more.

AZRob

I was talking to a older dive buddy about the sting's that are going on. He told me to put meat tenderizer on the sting.

Landshark

I was talking to a older dive buddy about the sting's that are going on. He told me to put meat tenderizer on the sting.
I remember that was an old school method suggested for treating jellyfish stings along with peeing on the sting. Recent studys suggest both methods actually make matters worse. Stingray stings are treated with hot water, Benadryl, Tylenol, and usually a stiff drink.

apricot

That's good to know, thanks. I went to Target today and they did not have it. Maybe I'll check Walgreens next time I'm there.

playaperro

El Pirata
Yes, the reason you probably haven't encountered a ray in the Mirador is that has so much rock and reef. Stingrays like a sandy bottom where they can flip sand over themselves and camouflage themselves for hunting.

Stepped on one in Las Conchas about 20 years ago. Had no idea how to treat it. A family staying at one of the houses next to ours came running down with a bag of ice. I kept ice on it for about 20 minutes until the pain was so excruciating that I had to go to the Red Cross. Those people, I found out, gave me the worst treatment I could have gotten for that wound. I needed the hottest water I could stand, and they gave me ice!

Most people will tell you, even those who have had terrible injuries in their life, that a stingray sting is one of the most painful experiences they have ever been through. I, from experience, completely agree.

Shuffle, shuffle, and then shuffle some more.
Same here amigo, about 20 years ago too, ended up at red cross, no charge but always donate to them at stops. don't drink spirits makes the pain X 2.

JimMcG

Recent studies have proved that my drunk friends who pissed on my foot suffered far greater wounds than what the sting ray inflicted.....
....deservedly so for applying salt to the wounds.

About fifteen or so years ago, I was hit by something on my foot and whatever it was seemed to be chasing me as I retreated. I never actually saw it, but assumed it to be a sting ray. There was no one else around and the pain travelled all the way up to my hip for about an hour or more. I guessed that it would be better to keep as active as I could and the excruciating pain finally went away. Recommend the shuffle at all times ever since.

Last edited:
....deservedly so for applying salt to the wounds.

About fifteen or so years ago, I was hit by something on my foot and whatever it was seemed to be chasing me as I retreated. I never actually saw it, but assumed it to be a sting ray. There was no one else around and the pain travelled all the way up to my hip for about an hour or more. I guessed that it would be better to keep as active as I could and the excruciating pain finally went away. Recommend the shuffle at all times ever since.
Got stung a month ago near Myan Palace , bleed a lot witch is good and the only thing that took the pain away was hot water and strong language . And yes it was extremely painful witch lasted about 6 hours , went back fishing the next day .