Sting Ray Bites

The small, 12" round stingrays of several species around PP live like this............

They congregate in certain mostly sandy spots in the spring for their ritual mating thing.

They warm up with the sunshine in the shallow water which gives them a boost for the frolic.

If you think the ones that you actually see mean anything, just put on a wetsuit and snorkle and go off the beach a bit. Sometime there are literally thousands of them.

They swim in short bursts and do a quick flutter when they stop and touch the bottom, that covers them with a thin veil of sand. They can easily be spotted if you look for their two froggy eyes protruding above the sand.

Go to Cholla Bay at low tide and you can see their hunting methods, actually trapping methods would be the correct term. There are thousands of 12" roundish holes in the mud where they construct and regularly return to with the incoming tide to hunt for crustaceans that took refuge during the previous receding tide. Typical food items are Ghost Crabs, Pistol Shrimp and Fiddler Crabs.

When in the water and not being harassed they are very friendly and actually seem to want to play, something kinda like hid and seek. When they know you see them they take a ten or twelve foot run and bury themselves again. They seem to never tire of this but when they do they take off like a rocket and are gone for good.

Their only enemies other than humans are sharks. Locally, the Scalloped Hammerhead is numero uno. On the East coast Bull Sharks target them which is why humans get hit in shallow water by them. In Miami, I've seen big bulls caught from shore with dozens of stingray stingers on their snouts.

Their meat is actually quite tasty, more often than not being passed off in the Malecon as "Escalopa". The Mexicans eat almost every species of ray and the meat is sold as "Manta Raya". The salted and dried carne seca de manta is quite tasty and can be keep for a long time without refrigeration. All it takes is a soak in little hot water and you have the fixins for some good tacos or burritos.

If you have an incredibly painful sting in your foot you can easily cure it by sticking a knife in your other foot and twist it around a bit.

JJ

jerry

If you have an incredibly painful sting in your foot you can easily cure it by sticking a knife in your other foot and twist it around a bit.

well I find Lidocaine injected at the spot of the wound and chasing the dragon with fine mexican black tar heroin for a few days and.... bobs your uncle...pain free

note...last time I did this my cure caused me to borrow the bowie Fire Departments new truck fund and spent a few years away from the sea of cortez

My personal favorite.............

Jungle Jim's Ju Ju Juice, guaranteed painless is less than ten minutes.

One 1 liter bottle of Herradura Blanco. Pour out half and set aside for later.

Grind up ten or fifteen 325 mg oxycodone tablets in a metate.

Dump em in.

Add the jugo of two fresh pink grapefruit.

Slosh it around a bit and top off with the set aside Herradura.

Find a SAFE place to sit down and eventually be prone and PASS OUT.

Start slammin the stuff until your partner can see your eyeballs starting to bulge.

Stop for a few seconds and try to locate any pain. More than likely not!

Last time I tried it, I backed into the Sonoyta Cruz Rojo ambulance and had twenty cops chase me all the way to San Luis Sonora.

Good luck!

JJ

i'd say it's that time of year again! i got one yesterday at las conchas. would have been fine if I would have remembered that I WANTED to wear my water shoes!

Even though we lived in Phoenix at the time, it was at Natcho's huts in Cholla Bay back in the 50's that I learned to shake my shoe's out every morning.
K: If you stayed in Nacho's huts do you remember Spotts Wills or the Boar's Nest?

Kenny

K: If you stayed in Nacho's huts do you remember Spotts Wills or the Boar's Nest?
I was 10, 1958, my first trip down and buying firecrackers at the store and spearing fish and fishing was all I was interested in the next 4 years that we went down from Phoenix. I remember the big Shark jaw bones, top and bottom out front of someplace close by, but I can't remember names of most anything from that time. Story's though, I've got great stories. They still had that group of nudist that camped at Sandy beach back then and :)