Sting Ray Bites

Even though we lived in Phoenix at the time, it was at Natcho's huts in Cholla Bay back in the 50's that I learned to shake my shoe's out every morning.
I do the shoe shake in Mesa too. And I wouldn't go outside with a black light there either. ;)

Sorry for the use of the above link, trying to teach myself how to post an image in anticipation of this summers first big fish kill next weekend.

The little guy in the link is a Common Loon on his last legs probably just due to old age. Better to die on a beautiful beach on the Sea of Cortez than hit by a wind generator blade doing 100 mph plus up north. The entire western USA and Canadian population of this bird winters along the Sonora and Baja coasts. They are powerful divers that can out swim most small fish which make up their preferred diet. I've seen them thirty or forty feet down while scuba diving at Isla San Jorge.

BTW I find it hard to believe anyone has ever been bitten by a stingray, stick your finger in that clam crushers mouth and I'll guaran-dam-tee you'll never do that again.

Anyone going out next 19, 20, 21 and 22 June? I just scored "The Great Happy's" deep diving lure collection and can't wait to reintroduce them to Senior Garopa waiting on those offshore rock piles.

JJ

Kelney

Hey JJ I am heading down 6/13-20. I am hoping to knock the dust off the boat and do some inshore and off shore fishing with it . I am going to give the shore fishing scene hell as well. I actually bought some wading boots to give me a little more protection from the little barbed demons. I have fished so much from shore I am afraid my time is due to get nailed. I have been successful with the shuffle but sometimes I am forced to wave hop during my casts.

Landshark, my guess is that you will see so many scorpions that one may freak.

I had a little wave hop and landed on one last Friday. 30 years and 1st time. don't want to repeat for another 30 years.Leigh

Kenny

Why not Kenny?
Your yard will never look the same.... Scorpions glow under a black light and you will see them on your wall's, the fence, places you sit, all over the dog gone place...West Phoenix is as bad; they love to eat Cockroaches.

Landshark

Very true! After the first time I hunted them I had trouble getting to sleep. Damn things were everywhere. Got like 60 of them and we have a monthly bug guy. Next night 30, then 20, then only a few. Should have kept it up but didn't.

Landshark

Kind of reminds me of the time we took the kayak out hunting for stingrays. Calm day and you could clearly see the bittom. They were everywhere we looked. Walking on the bottom would have been a BIG mistake. Changed the way I felt about wading in the surf. They say ignorance is bliss. I say ignorance is painful.

Last edited:
Anyone going out next 19, 20, 21 and 22 June? I just scored "The Great Happy's" deep diving lure collection and can't wait to reintroduce them to Senior Garopa waiting on those offshore rock piles.

JJ
We are hoping to be down there. Will know by the end of this week.

Kenny

"The very old and the very young are most likely to die of untreated venomous scorpion bites. The cause is usually heart or respiratory failure occurring some hours after the sting. Very few deaths from scorpion stings have been reported in the United States. No scorpion sting-related death has been reported in Arizona for more than 40 years."

jerry

We built a house for a guy in the weirdly named Rancho Sin Vacas in the 80s in Tucson.Nightmare client who's 90 year old father visiting from Long Island died on the toilet after being stung by a scorpion. First week in the house and they never moved back in...

AZRob

We built a house for a guy in the weirdly named Rancho Sin Vacas in the 80s in Tucson.Nightmare client who's 90 year old father visiting from Long Island died on the toilet after being stung by a scorpion. First week in the house and they never moved back in...

You just opened a can of worms.