After 45 Years I'm Wondering is there Value is in RP?

AZJD

I'm 28, newly married and starting out in life...don't have a ton of money but make good money....and I think Rocky Point is a BARGAIN, even at 2012 prices. I go there ever 2 months, and have been going for the last 10 years.

Rocky Point is still waaaaay cheaper than California. And better.

mondone

Whitecaps
Thank you for your heartfelt comments. I love "RP" too, that's why I bothered to write.
I got a lot of commentary about "living in the past" and "relative prices and inflation", sorry if I was not more clear.

Here are my main points in sum:
- Relative prices for housing, food and beverages are now on par with what we can pay in the US, prices USED to be a much better VALUE relative to my costs in Phoenix, AZ.
- Equipment Rental VALUES are deteriorating do to maintenance issues - that's dangerous and frustrating.
- I don't feel as WELCOME as I once did -- and I truly believe I'm one of the "good gringos"!
- Safety on Sandy Beach for people who want to swim, snorkel, fish or float on a lounge has been compromised by the Jetskis and Banana boats (solution above).
They can't really expect us to drive 250 miles to come swim in that roped-in 60 yard square, can they!?

There's no doubt tourism has fallen off in "RP". Ask ANY merchant!
If "RP" wants to reverse that trend, they need to be aware of these problem points and do what they can to address/fix them!
I pray these comments reach those in "RP" who can/will make a difference! That's the whole purpose of this.

Tw
Phoenix, Arizona
Sorry, but I just can't agree with any of these "points" other than that tourism has fallen off. But that's due to 2 reasons, the economy/housing crisis and the media scare about travel warnings. Period. In 20+ years of coming and now owning in RP, I have never heard one of these complaints from all the people I have talked to visiting the town. Prices on par with Phoenix? You have to be kidding. Don't feel welcome? I have never been more welcomed and friendly with the people of RP like I have the past couple of years. Safety on Sandy Beach? Well what do you expect? You can't have a multitude of "resort" style buildings all in a row and not expect the beach to be different, however, there are many other places in the area to go to that are quieter and safer to enjoy the activities you wish to do. Seek and you shall find. Ask questions, find where the locals go, RP is not as "different" as you are trying to make it.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
- Relative prices for housing, food and beverages are now on par with what we can pay in the US, prices USED to be a much better VALUE relative to my costs in Phoenix, AZ.
The price increases are commensurate with increases in standards. You say "back in the day" the hotels in town were nicer, and cheaper. That may be true, but back then many of the people that could afford the hotels are now the ones renting condos. Back in the day, most college kids camped on the beaches (something you can't even do anymore unless you leave town altogether)

Food prices are what they are - true, many of the "finer" restaurants in RP have US prices, but there are still plenty of places down there to eat good food on the cheap. The resort areas charge more because you (and others) pay it... stop paying , and perhaps they will re-assess their prices. The only power the consumer has is not to pay the merchants prices. Use this power.

- Equipment Rental VALUES are deteriorating do to maintenance issues - that's dangerous and frustrating.
This has nothing to do with Rocky Point- this is the nature of the "toy" rental business in general. Renters destroy rentals- A fact as old as time.

- I don't feel as WELCOME as I once did -- and I truly believe I'm one of the "good gringos"!
Maybe you are not welcome - maybe you are a cash cow to them. So, maybe you should seek out places where you DO feel welcome. Expecting everything to "stay the same" in order to placate your personal sense of sentimentality is ridiculous. Back in the day, was not Rocky Point (and Mexico in general) more fun because of the adventure of exploring someplace foreign and new? Wake that spirit back up, and try to look at your next trip down there as your first - you might just discover something you never encountered before, and it might even be cheap.

- Safety on Sandy Beach for people who want to swim, snorkel, fish or float on a lounge has been compromised by the Jetskis and Banana boats (solution above).
They can't really expect us to drive 250 miles to come swim in that roped-in 60 yard square, can they!?
So, don't swim on Sandy Beach- rent a place out on Playa Encanto next time, or better yet- go down to Santo Tomas and re-live what Sandy Beach was like 30 years ago...

If "RP" wants to reverse that trend, they need to be aware of these problem points and do what they can to address/fix them!
I pray these comments reach those in "RP" who can/will make a difference! That's the whole purpose of this.

Tw
Phoenix, Arizona
If tourism has "fallen off" then why is Rocky Point rapidly evolving into another Cabo/Mazatlan before our eyes?

If I compare RP today to the way it was 20-30 years ago, then yeah, I guess I could share your "sour grapes", but things are what they are....

Scottsdale is a whole lot different than it was in 1980, as well... dontcha think?

Kenny

- I don't feel as WELCOME as I once did -- QUOTE]
Unquestionably true for more than a few of us long time visitors, and I'm not talking about where I've bought bait for decades, or a favorite restaurant or two. Those kind of things are what some of you use as a reference point, and that's not indicative of how the "new" PP rolls.

Kenny

I've actually given up on Playa Inn. Very much downhill from what it used to be and I'm one that's been staying there since the 1st row of Inn Suites that it was back in the day. Sad, I've been a *loyal* customer all these years and watched it grow and have had some excellent stays there, many times. But, times have changed. Even Reggie's has changed, but it's still my morning coffee and a breakfast burrito. And still the best in RP for that.
22 rooms, $29.99 for a suite, and a happy hour with free drinks! If you stayed more than a day or two you were friends with everyone there, and man that place was fun. I even liked how they watered the sand every morning, and the smell of wood fires for cooking on a hot summer night was like perfume to me.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
I also heard that before California was settled the beaches were beautiful and clean. same with mississippi river before people went west. I'm sure a hotel stay was a nickel or so. its a shame that after a hundred years or so things are not what they used to be.

Kenny

I also heard that before California was settled the beaches were beautiful and clean. same with mississippi river before people went west. I'm sure a hotel stay was a nickel or so. its a shame that after a hundred years or so things are not what they used to be.
For myself anyway the cost of going to PP was not, and never has been the main attraction. It's always been about the people, both locals and tourist, and the magnificent Sea of Cortez.

AZJD

I'm also not sure where this guy goes in AZ that $1.00 in Rocky Point for a fresh and hot, carne asada taco...with sides of all kinds of salsa and a bowl of cucumbers....is too expensive for him. LOL

Back in college, I worked in a restaurant. You know those customers that you just knew would be a pain in the a$$....who would complain...were tough to deal with...and nobody really wanted to serve them? We called them the "5%ers", the 5% of the population that no matter what you did, it was never good enough and there was always something wrong. They'd find negatives in everything. OP is a 5%-er. :p

VIVA PUERTO PENASCO. :p

AZJD

Hell, you can rent a 3 bedroom condo at Bella Sirena or Esmerada (the nicest and most expensive places on Sandy Beach).....sleep a couple in each room....and it's like $30/person a night for an oceanfront luxury resort. A room at a Motel 6 in San Diego is $90/night.

Even a cashier at Wendy's can afford that vacation.

Rocky Point is cheap as hell. Best place ever for the money. I LOVE YOU RP!!!!!!!

The Man

heck...the US buck is up...dropped a little in exchange rate! But in the past we made out like crazy! They caught up and pegged their prices on the exchange rate now!

Went to order tile other day, and they a few weeks before, gave me a price!
The other day went back to order them, the mex store clerk/owner said they raised the price cause the buck gets more peso to the US buck!

This hurts more the poorer locals, who suffer with the inflation the US dollar does!

They have to pay the higher prices to. But, since we are use to US prices, and for us, its still a bargain at RP for us!

The only way to slower inflation in RP is for mayor to ban US dollars as other areas of Mex are doing to curb inflation.

Even my contractor started his rates now at 14.3 exchange rate for work!

I don't think it will be lowered even if the exchange rate goes down for us gringo's!

And as eating places raises their prices to the higher exchange rate, I doubt that they will lower when the buck goes down!

It will when good old Greese gets fixed!

Still RP is a great place.

The man

rplarry

Thank you for your heartfelt comments. I love "RP" too, that's why I bothered to write.
I got a lot of commentary about "living in the past" and "relative prices and inflation", sorry if I was not more clear.

Tw
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey RockyPoint Fan, I get your point and understand what you are saying but times do change and like RB Moore stated, you have to roll with the changes or you will not enjoy the 'new' because you are living in the past. There is still plenty of the charm as was with the 'old' RP. At the same time, a lot has changed. It had to as it is only 3.5 hours from the 5-6th largest city in the entire US. And, fortunately or unfortunately, it will continue to do so.

I started coming down in grade school and high school, camping on Sandy Beach for about $2-3 bucks. I loved rolling out of the tent and buying those little bean burritos where you got like 8-10 for $1. Now you get 3 for $1. That is one little example of how EVERYTHING inflates. It just does. (I do agree with you that La Curva has inflated a little more than I would like though, but we still go as the food is great and the staff is like family)

Another item you mentioned was how people are less friendly or accommodating. Well, that is most likely a by-product of the fact the population of RP has probably grown by 10-15 fold since you and your dad were first going down. Just like PHX and it's growth, RP isn't a sleepy little fishing village any longer. Tourism is it's primary industry focus now and the population reflects the transient labor force that has come with not only the tourism industry, but the construction and development industry that has built RP into what it currently is. Most of the newer residents don't have that history or nostalgia that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation residents had when you visited. Again, it is what it is. But like someone else mentioned, get out and meet your new circle of friends/locals. There are great people all over RP and I will challenge you that you can once again have that home-town feel if you look for it.

I could comment to many of your "compalints", but to your point about swimming and snorkeling, that is the first I have heard that mentioned. (althought your suggestion of a signicant area of beach that is zoned only for swimming and would not allow jet ski's is a good suggestion). Not that I do not agree that the jet ski and banana activity is way up on Sandy Beach compared to the good old days. However, there are also what, 7-10 HIGH RISE condos since those good old days that bring LOTS of people, and people looking to recreate and spend money. That is why the jet ski's are there. My suggestion would be that if you are going to continue to stay on Sandy Beach, go on an 'off' weekend or mid-week. I have friends down there who own jet ski businesses and I can't tell you how often they complain that they didn't even put there ski's in the water on many, many days due to there being 'no people'. Check out this link sometime, mid-week and you can see for yourself how dead and calm it can be on Sandy Beach Sonoran Sky Live View | Sonoran Resorts The other option for great swimming and snorkeling without any interference is to go out to Las Conchas or Encanto, etc. We get down to RP about 10x each year, staying in Las Conchas and I cannot tell you how many times we look as far as we can see down the beach and do not see another human being anywhere.

The last point of yours I will comment on is in regards to your complaint of how expensive accommodations are compared to the good old days. I would wholeheartedly disagree. You mentioned getting a place for $50-60 per night. Now it's 125-150. But, what do you get?? Luxury, 1-2 bedrooms with a living room and balcony, granite counter tops, jacuzzi bath tubs, washer & dryer, AIR CONDITIONING that doesn't keep you all night or hang out of a window, swim up bars, satellite TV, wireless internet. I could go on & on, but it really is a good deal for all you are getting. We go to San Diego or Newport for a week or two each summer. There, we get a 2-3 bedroom beachfront place, not near a nice amenity wise as Sandy Beach, and we cram 2 families in there for between $700-800 a night. Then there is the boardwalk riff-raff and not near as nice of a beach as what Sandy is.

My suggestion for you? Go down more often. It sounds like you have had 1 or 2 negative experience lately, which can happen. But, the more you go down and acclimate to the "NEW RP", the more you become comfortable with how nice some of the new changes really are and the less chance you will have of having a negative experience. BECAUSE, I do not know to many people who go down on a regular basis and have any negative experiences whatsoever.

Hope that helps change your paradigm a little and get you back to enjoying this great little gem that is Penasco!

All the best to you.

InkaRoads

cronopiador

Tw
Phoenix, Arizona
RPfan one thing that you might be missing is that the same thing is happening all over the world not only in USA and Mexico!! the economy have made many turistic places stan still or even closed, as we have seen happen in RP.

Hopefully it seems that things are turning around for everybody and little by little things will settle again, however when it comes to price increase, well it is happening all over the world too and thru the years, with it almost 100% increase in many things, RP is still a bargain today as it was for us 20+ years ago, we are just used to the idea that it was lots cheaper back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc and now it is still cheaper, are you still making $3.75 minimum wage in AZ? I think the frase "Life goes on!!" fit here very well we just need to get used to that it is 2012 and not 1969!!

Kenny

Has anyone noticed that two of the biggest critics of the post by rockypoint_fan are running around town looking for smoked Marlin tacos?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
This what we used to have for smoked fish in RP. Smoked Mullet 10 times tastier than Marlin and there are millions of them around here. Fricken delicious, probably just not fancy enough. Here they are called Lisa. Who the hell, want's to admit they ate mullet. Marlin, fresh is probably the worst tasting fish in the world, you notice you never see anybody selling fresh marlin or having it on any menus as a filete,but smoked its pretty good, just not as good as mullet.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Mullet? Really?

Today's bait... tomorrow's dinner! hahahah!

Yeah, call me spoiled. Might taste great, but there's nothing I can do to change the fact that my mind knows it's mullet!!! :puff:

Pinky

I understand what the OP is saying. The rest of Mexico is far cheaper than Rocky Point. In the end, everything in life changes. I understand that change is not always to our liking, but it does happen. I do miss a lot of things about the old Rocky Point, but I am also pleased about some of the new additions.

MIRAMAR

I understand what the OP is saying. The rest of Mexico is far cheaper than Rocky Point.
I don't think Cancun or Cabo are cheaper, definitely not Mexico City, and probably not Puerto Vallarta.

Today we are getting a wider selection of accomadations than from 20-30 years ago. As previously stated earlier, you can choose from,
the resort lifestyle to camping on the beach and everything in between.
But to have better choices does cost more, sometimes getting close to San Diego prices, but not nearly as crowded.
I remember staying at the Cholla Motel at Tucson beach and was very appreciatative of the bad beds, slow water and thin walls.
I had a place to stay (shade), a shower, bathroom and a great view for all of $30 per night. And a case of cold Pacificos for $12.
Sure I don't like the $2.75-3.00 beers or the $3.75 tacos but they can be found for less if you look around, you can eat out for less if you look around,.

In Rocky Point you can get away with driving with a few beers in you and if caught it might cost a few $, not that I advocate that.
Bottom line is stop worrying about the changes and enjoy it while it is the way it is, because in 20 years people will be wishing it was like it was today.