After 45 Years I'm Wondering is there Value is in RP?

mis2810

I don't think Cancun or Cabo are cheaper, definitely not Mexico City, and probably not Puerto Vallarta.
Mexico City is quite a bit less expensive than RP. Of course there are high-end hotels everywhere, but for your average meal, street tacos, a beer, etc. Mexico City is dirt cheap.

MIRAMAR

Agreed- street tacos are the best value both in DF and in Penasco, and they both seem to be about the same price.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If you haven't been to what used to be the Playa Inn lately, you might want to check it out. The people who bought it and then ran it into the ground lost it. It's been re-taken over by the sellers. Now it's the Hotel Grand Hacienda, although some of the signs haven't yet been changed.

For months they've been working to bring it back up to par, and they seem to be doing a decent job. Last weekend we had visiting friends stay there and they were very comfortable. Price was about $50 bucks per night for a double. Javier Ortega is the bartender, for those of you who remember him from JC's or the Sunset Cantina. The food in the restaurant is good and the staff is friendly.
Thanks, Rosie. I did see the new paint and new name, but after my last stay there (in Jan., I think), I said that's that. No lights on anywhere. Pool empty. Restaurant closed. I could go on, but the place definitely looked like it was in death throes. No hot water. And if it's ONE thing I need after a day out playing with bait and my fishy friends, it's a hot soapy shower at the end of the day!! I also wasn't pleased that, despite asking for my usual suite (was lied to and told they were ALL reserved for a group coming in that mysteriously never showed up all weekend) that we got stuck in a couple of really beat up rooms on the far end. Hey, no biggie there, but I hate being deliberately lied to.

Alma and some of the others that previously ran the place were good folks, always responsive, and the rooms were always clean and comfortable. I do hope the folks that are now running it manage to restore it to *at least* that level!

The price increase that bugs me the most about RP is the taxi fare. Why is it always $12 no matter where you go? I find that nobody will even negotiate, even if it's just a half mile down the road. 10 years ago you could get around town for 2 or 3 bucks, and I feel like the locals probably still do. I even speak fluent Spanish and it still seems to get me nowhere.
Not sure why you are getting screwed over on the cabs. Basically, if you take a cab IN TOWN, just going from point A to B that doesn't involve getting over to the Sandy Beach properties, the fare is 20 pesos PER PERSON per trip. Or, $2 usually covers it. Ask the cabbie before you get in, however. Now, if it is you and your 5 friends, yes, you're going to pay $12. That's just the way it works in Penasco, it's rare to get them to do it less than that. Can anyone else who lives down there back me up on this practice?

ALSO, make sure it's a legit cab, like the smaller, newer compact ones the city sponsors. If it's some old beater, yeah, you're going to want to make sure you nailed down a price before you get in.

ben21

Not sure why you are getting screwed over on the cabs. Basically, if you take a cab IN TOWN, just going from point A to B that doesn't involve getting over to the Sandy Beach properties, the fare is 20 pesos PER PERSON per trip. Or, $2 usually covers it. Ask the cabbie before you get in, however. Now, if it is you and your 5 friends, yes, you're going to pay $12. That's just the way it works in Penasco, it's rare to get them to do it less than that. Can anyone else who lives down there back me up on this practice?

ALSO, make sure it's a legit cab, like the smaller, newer compact ones the city sponsors. If it's some old beater, yeah, you're going to want to make sure you nailed down a price before you get in.
The most recent example was taking a cab with my girlfriend from Las Palomas to Bella Sirena to visit friends. This is obviously not really far but it was late at night and we didn't want to walk. Cab driver would not budge on $12. A few times I have gone around with a group of people and they have charged the 12-15 bucks and that makes more sense if they are charging per person. Has it always been per person though? I swear we used to get around with a group of people on spring break for 2 or 3 bucks. This is still possible in other cities as well such as San Luis.

The most recent example was taking a cab with my girlfriend from Las Palomas to Bella Sirena to visit friends. This is obviously not really far but it was late at night and we didn't want to walk. Cab driver would not budge on $12. A few times I have gone around with a group of people and they have charged the 12-15 bucks and that makes more sense if they are charging per person. Has it always been per person though? I swear we used to get around with a group of people on spring break for 2 or 3 bucks. This is still possible in other cities as well such as San Luis.
Yeah, they started that a few years back to keep all the cabbies honest, to even the playing field. The reason he charged so much is because: 1) Somehow he had to get out there, so it's sort of built into the price, regardless of whether the front desk called him from in town specifically for you, or he drove out there to wait for a fare. 2) You're staying at the most expensive resorts in town--of course they're going to try to charge you more than when you were in college for spring break back in the day! ;)

But you're right, years ago you could just say $5 total for a group of people if you weren't going far. I found out the hard way about the per-person charge when my brother and I decided to stay out later than my dad and uncle when we were staying in Las Conchas. Guy says $15, I figure, OK, fine, what a rip-off. Nope. $15 EACH. He was going to come back to the house with the police if I didn't pay, as we led him to the house before we got our final total. Lesson learned!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
OK, my turn. During my 46 years coming to Rocky Point, I have seen so many changes....And I hate some of them. But, where can you pay 300 dollars a month for rent and get electricity, water, wireless internet and 24/7 security? 2 dollar cab rides from PDO to BooBar... 14 dollars for a case of 24 16 ounce bottled cokes. 7 dollars for a Sonoran potato that is big enough for 4 people. Gas is around 2.75 a gallon. Tacos are a dollar. A Big bottle of Rum is 10 dollars. It's not cold and expensive like San Diego. I think I have my answer..........The beach is calling....

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Optimized-EBAY 717.jpgOptimized-EBAY 717.jpg

I took a picture a while back of a cartoon map we have of Arizona and "Punto Penasco" that we guess is from the 30's or 40's. If you want to look at change, look at this. There is no I-10, I-40, I-8 or I-19. No ASU or NAU (just ASTC- but there is U of A!). No Lake Powell, just Lake Mead and Boulder Dam not Hoover Dam (so it must between 1933 and 1947). Sorry for the poor quality- I had to compress it to pull it in

Last edited:

jerry

View attachment 4527

I took a picture a while back of a cartoon map we have of Arizona and "Punto Penasco" that we guess is from the 30's or 40's. If you want to look at change, look at this. There is no I-10, I-40, I-8 or I-19. No ASU or NAU (just ASTC- but there is U of A!). No Lake Powell, just Lake Mead and Boulder Dam not Hoover Dam (so it must between 1933 and 1947). Sorry for the poor quality- I had to compress it to pull it in

I'd love to get a good copy...I want to recreate the style with a darker vision

The Man

Wahoo ......

If you read my post correctly, basically I did not say that prices went up just for the tourist, because of the US dollar exchange rates!

What I said was that years ago when the exchange rate gave us more pesos, we the tourist made out like a bear! Our money went far in MEXICO!

Now, its reversed, and when we " the US tourist " exchange local currency or use US dollars, the local businesses compute their goods and services on the new exchange rates!

So, a toco that say a month ago was selling for 12.5 mex, the exchange rate than, now, with the buck at say, 14.5 / exchange, that
12.5 mex peso toco now sells for 14.5 peso for that taco now!

So now, the US buck just caused an inflation increase in Mexico! The mergents now raised their price for EVERYBODY, mexican and tourist alike!

Years back it was more stable, and based their supply and service on less tourist influx of money!

My contractors now price in US dollars! They want that 14.5 exchange rate! Remember, this is MEXICO and soon yours will compute their labor in 14.5 or so!

So this is what hurts the poorer locals! Who can not get that higher exchange rate, so in essants, ( ??? ) they are hit with higher inflation for what they buy for their pesos!

So, like I said earlier, back in time, we gained by the higher exchange rates when we changed our money to pesos! And the peso was more stable, for the locals!

Now, the mex that can get dollars exchange them for more pesos, for them, and boom......Mexico inflation for all!

Now, thats why some state and city mayors and governors in Mex want to stop use of our US dollar! It drives the inflation up here!

Other countries have their own reasons for inflation!

Yes, no?

I really don't understand any of this...I am in Mexico, I pay in pesos, period.

Can I drive across the border and use pesos at McDonald's or even Taco Bell? Of course not, I am not paying for anything in Mexico via dollars. Those who do are only hurting themselves.

I won't do business with any establishment in Mexico that changes their pricing any time the U.S. dollar has a fluctuation. The Mexican minimum wage and other monetary standards are not based on dollars so the exchange rate is used only as a tool to steal money from unsuspecting people. Again, go to Tucson and build a house with pesos and see how far you get,

Many come to Rocky Point and pay in dollars as a matter of convenience so they don't have to exchange their money during a short trip. Same as the tourists who flood a city when cruise ship pulls into port, there will always be someone willing to take your money. In both cases, these groups overpay for almost all goods and services. If you spend any amount of time in Rocky Point, there is zero reason for you to pay for anything in dollars other than an imported American product.

jerry

two big chickens,rice,beans in Caborca 110 pesos...Puerto Penasco smaller and more money...head south!!!

MIRAMAR

My husband drove through Caborca last week and brought chicken dinner- but it didn't have white meat! I remember there were a few places in Penasco who would sell chicken for a cheaper price (right by Circle K by the harbor), but it didn't have white meat. Poor breastless chickens!

Roberto

Not sure I agree with the nashing of teeth on this matter. Sounds like an American talking about how smart they are and how dumb others are. Tourist areas all over have similar issues regarding price. Tourist clientele is often a one time customer so the merchants do not worry about repeat business like an established neighborhood store. Tourists are also out to have a good time and usually don't mind spending a little more to enjoy the vacation. The average Mexican in Penasco does not shop at the tourist shops so there is really little effect for them on a day to day basis. They already know where to shop. The fluctuation in the value of currency has an impact on all imported items, might be good , might be bad, depends. Businesses will do whatever they can to improve margins. Just look at the US banking and Securities business in the US.

The bit about the devaluation ignores the fact that prices adjusted to the new rates. As for bank savings that effected mostly dumb foreigners who had bank accounts with money in them. Most Mexicans have no savings other than what they can hide in their home. The 'store of value' only applies to currency as the price of goods adjusted.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So I am not a tourist but heres the story of the day. I supply the oil and the filter from the new autozone....take it to my mechanic and have the service done..price 50 pesos and when I came home the car was washed and in front of my house. Today I had two nails in my jeep tire, I go to the tire shop on Ocana and the guy works on it for like 20 minutes, install two patches inside the tire makes sure the balance is there and reinstalls same tire, price 70 pesos, I only had dollars today so he said give me 5.00. You can have the usa prices

Roberto

Comments from 1955:

I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.

Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000.00 will only buy a used one.

Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter.

If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.

When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.

I read the other day where somescientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century.
They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas .

Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They're even making electric typewriters now.

It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

It won't be long before youngcouples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

No one can afford to be sick anymore. At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.

If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it.

Last edited:

Kea

Driving from Peñasco to Vegas last week, we had 2 blowouts on our RV. Middle of nowhere. Roadside service charged $320 for one replacement tire. Friday, Goodyear told us we could get both replaced under warranty. Still waitig for them. So far they've only found one. Really. Is it that hard to find 5th wheel tires in Vegas?

Should have stayed in Peñasco!